• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Jensen’s Kickstarter started out as funding “Pinkerton Road”, her studio and the concept of CSG - you’re not supposed to fund a company, so they gave a choice of three games that could be made, Moebius, Anglophile Adventure and one other choice I can’t recall off the top of my head.  The fans choice Moebius; the mention of Mystery Game X was brought up later, and people were told it existed outside of the KS, but they’d be able to get it by supporting the KS. 

Honestly, I think it’s paining The Pinkerton Road folks just as much as people waiting for news on MGX; if they had their druthers, you’d all know about it by now.  It’s not their fault - as they say, shit happens.  It’ll be sorted soon, hopefully, and then everyone’ll know.

Bt

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

dave_minall - 18 April 2013 03:57 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the information is most probable under an embargo until the publisher is ready to announce the deal. We will find out eventually, but I do agree with some by saying that they are taking the piss now, considering it was supposed to be RELEASED around Christmas time.

What kind of publisher has a *year long* embargo on a *deal* they’ve made. For a game that’s now finished

I can understand not giving away too many details over a year. I can understand not wanting to announce a deal before a shareholders meeting, or so forth. But it’s been a fricking year and nothing. There has to be more or it’s some kind of insane incompetence

Someone on another board suggested that it could be a tie-in with a film or book that’s been held back. But even then what the hell could it be-Red Dawn: the adventure game?

Over the year there’s been no big announcement. The only investors who know anything about this game, are the ones invited to the open house and even then they only saw the barest snippets and were sworn to secrecy. The only tidbit was that “It’s a game everyone wants”. So it’s a PacMan MMORPG mystery game?

Someone else has written here “sh*t happens” but I’ve always hated that attitude! Sh*t doesn’t just happen. You should always always ask where the sh*t is coming from, why is it happening and how can I stop it?

And that goes for this case too

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

afterglow2001 - 18 April 2013 08:19 AM

What kind of publisher has a *year long* embargo on a *deal* they’ve made. For a game that’s now finished

I don’t think it counts as an embargo when we’re talking about people working on the game.

There have been plenty of games that were announced relatively shortly before they came out. This is a somewhat unusual situation in which we know THAT there’s a game, but nothing about it has been announced, but normally the whole thing would be a surprise.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The thing is that in Pinkerton Roads Kickstarter there was the possibility to choose between getting one or two games. So that means that there must have been plans for two games to be made within a year (although the time table can’t really be set in stone when talking about game development). Not knowing what the other game is can surely be frustrating but since Moebius is on the horizon things are still looking good.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Frogacuda - 18 April 2013 09:15 AM

There have been plenty of games that were announced relatively shortly before they came out. This is a somewhat unusual situation in which we know THAT there’s a game, but nothing about it has been announced, but normally the whole thing would be a surprise.

Yes but usually they’re from small studios or because they haven’t been finished.

Just about all we know about this game is that it’s from a big publisher and episode 1 is finished. No title, no real idea but it’s finished

This also an usual situation because we’ve been repeatedly promised announcements about the game or at least a title, since October 2012. Repeatedly. Why is the big publisher still doing this

The cat is out of the bag , we know there’s a game being made, there is no surprise, so why withhold publicity?

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Henke - 18 April 2013 09:22 AM

The thing is that in Pinkerton Roads Kickstarter there was the possibility to choose between getting one or two games. So that means that there must have been plans for two games to be made within a year (although the time table can’t really be set in stone when talking about game development). Not knowing what the other game is can surely be frustrating but since Moebius is on the horizon things are still looking good.

Unless, as I said, you’re one of the poor schmoes who ordered only Mystery Game X. In which case you things are looking good for the other guys

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

afterglow2001 - 18 April 2013 09:27 AM

Yes but usually they’re from small studios or because they haven’t been finished.

We don’t know that it’s finished. We know that according to the timetables we had before it ought to be finished by now, but we also know that the release was pushed back in order to extend the development back in like November, so we can’t say for certain that it’s done.

What does seem relatively certain is that Jane’s work on the project is done, which suggests that she is not as intimately involved with MGX as she is with Moebius.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

afterglow2001 - 18 April 2013 09:27 AM

The cat is out of the bag , we know there’s a game being made, there is no surprise, so why withhold publicity?

Well, at least officially the reason still is that they aren’t ready to release the game yet, and they want to do the announcement and release very closely (like they explained, that that way when people read about it they can also straight away go and buy it (and so more people will, rather than if they read about it and the game is released later (and I guess the idea is that they will forget in that time)) - whether that is a good strategy is another matter, but that’s the reason they gave, nevertheless).

Quest1 - 18 April 2013 07:30 AM

The main MGX speculation thread on the Pinkerton forum has devolved into a stream of animated GIF postings expressing everyone’s exasperation over the situation in which we find ourselves regarding the game. Excitement turned to mild concern which became alarm and then anger and finally exasperated mocking of the situation. Yes, it has come to this.

It’s not really the main speculation thread though Wink Just the “waiting for the announcement” thread - but the gif part is true (and fun Tongue) - once the announcement got delayed and the original question became quite moot for the time being, it got turned into something more Grin

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

afterglow2001 - 18 April 2013 09:29 AM
Henke - 18 April 2013 09:22 AM

Unless, as I said, you’re one of the poor schmoes who ordered only Mystery Game X. In which case you things are looking good for the other guys

How is that scenario even possible? MGX wasn’t mentioned until the Kickstarter had ended and since no game has been released yet the backers haven’t had the chance to choose yet.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

UPtimist - 18 April 2013 10:05 AM

Well, at least officially the reason still is that they aren’t ready to release the game yet, and they want to do the announcement and release very closely (like they explained, that that way when people read about it they can also straight away go and buy it (and so more people will, rather than if they read about it and the game is released later (and I guess the idea is that they will forget in that time)) - whether that is a good strategy is another matter, but that’s the reason they gave, nevertheless).

I agree it’s a very strange strategy…
I mean many, if not most, games and movies are announced some time before they are finished. I could point to things like Bioshock but even smaller things like ‘Upstream Color’ and ‘Looper’ are teased months/years before release. If it’s an interesting or intriguing concept people don’t forget it after a few months. That way more people hear about and more people pay. Best of all, if you announce something in advance, even people who ultimately won’t like the game/movie will talk about it beforehand and spread the good word-resulting in other people buying it.

The only things I can think of, by major studios, that are publicized and released at the same time are films like Oogieloves and Pluto Nash. Burst of publicity in the first week and the nothing.

Quest1 - 18 April 2013 07:30 AM

It’s not really the main speculation thread though Wink Just the “waiting for the announcement” thread - but the gif part is true (and fun Tongue) - once the announcement got delayed and the original question became quite moot for the time being, it got turned into something more Grin

It is a rather odd and lovely place at the moment. The way so many people try to stay optimistic over 6 months, hoping for an announcement every two weeks. Debating the meaning of the word few. The Parks and Rec references are very apt because the place reminds me of Lesley Knope’s upbeat but strained smile.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Henke - 18 April 2013 10:42 AM

How is that scenario even possible? MGX wasn’t mentioned until the Kickstarter had ended and since no game has been released yet the backers haven’t had the chance to choose yet.

Mystery game X was announced and offered May 4th. Kickstarter ended May 19th.

Can’t believe I looked that up.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

afterglow2001 - 18 April 2013 10:54 AM
Henke - 18 April 2013 10:42 AM

Mystery game X was announced and offered May 4th. Kickstarter ended May 19th.

Can’t believe I looked that up.

I had to check the Kickstarter page but you seem be right about that. It still says that Moebius is the first game and MGX will be the second one so they will probably still be released in that order. As long as MGX is revealed before or when Moebius is released everything will be “fine”.  Wink

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Phuh. You young whippersnappers don’t have an ounce of patience in you. Why, back in my day…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Maybe the mystery publisher is Activision and maybe they are waiting to announce MSX, which may be a Gabriel Knight game, because they want to announce an upcoming, new King’s Quest at the same time. To me that would be well worth waiting for. Is that plausible? I know nothing but what I read here, and I know there are some posters here who are well-connected and know more than the average adventure gamer like me. Anything you could share would be appreciated. I decided the waiting patiently thing wasn’t going to work. Maybe Activision is going to announce a whole new adventure game sub-label? Perhaps Activision decided to delay the announcement and wants the roll-out controlled totally by them.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Quest1 - 18 April 2013 12:02 PM

I decided the waiting patiently thing wasn’t going to work.

It should, because demanding information (your self-proclaimed “normal tendency”) will give you the info you want at exactly the same point in time as it would if you waited patiently.

If the publisher doesn’t want to tell, then you wait until they decide they DO want to tell us. No amount of “demanding information” is going to change that.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top