• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lambonius - 22 April 2013 09:43 PM

I do hear things, from time to time.

please say youve heard its POS Grin
there’ll be no way to tell if youre joking or not. lol

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

zane - 22 April 2013 10:04 PM
Lambonius - 22 April 2013 09:43 PM

I do hear things, from time to time.

please say youve heard its POS Grin
there’ll be no way to tell if youre joking or not. lol

Good point.  I’ve heard it’s POS.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I see how it is. I’m left to agonize in the uncertainty.

But I’m now prepared to make a final prediction. Mystery Game X is a Gabriel Knight game and is being done by the Activision studio Vicarious Visions. Several months ago I heard from someone who talked with someone (yes, iron-clad proof, I know) familiar with the voice recording for the game, who supposedly said,  “of course it’s Gabriel Knight, and Activision is doing it,” as if it were common knowledge. I had actually forgotten about this, but now it makes perfect sense. So there you have it. A highly experienced, presumably well-funded developer giving us a new Gabriel Knight. As a Gabriel Knight fan, and assuming this is true, I’d be extremely pleased. Jane is apparently involved and giving her stamp of approval, so I think we should feel great.

But why the long period without any news?

Is Activision considering new King’s Quest (and other former Sierra IP) games to be developed by VV as well? Is this the reason for the delay? Did the forced admission by TTG that TTG was no longer working on KQ and that Activision supposedly “had their own plans” further complicate Activision’s planned info roll-out for their adventure game revivals?

I thought it was silly when people were saying, “oh, don’t let Activision do a new KQ. It will be a shooter, blah, blah.” If the MGX/VV theory is correct, it could mean that Activision is open to developing adventure games in a way that would please many fans here. They also have very deep pockets, which is always a plus. Maybe they saw TWD’s success and thought maybe they’d also enter the adventure world (not that TWD is a true adventure) in a small way with an eye toward eventually challenging TTG in the adventure category with even more high profile releases. Why should TTG be the only company going after mainstream, pop culture IP (as they said was their goal) for new “adventure” games?

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Heh.  Left to agonize in uncertainty.

Some things in life are uncertain.  That’s just the way it is.  Some things will never change!

Bt

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

All I know is I can’t wait for the announcement!  Eeeeeeeeee!!!  Heart Eyes

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

It’s a GK1 remake, a la the Monkey Island Special Editions.  Or not.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Quest1 - 23 April 2013 04:21 AM

To Timovieman: but don’t you think POS is relevant here since they have been mentioned as a possible MGX developer?

Not really, because at this point in time, everybody and their dog has been mentioned as a possible MGX developer.

You really need to calm down. It’s like every five minutes you come up with a new theory about what game MGX is and about who is developing it. And every time that it’s not Phoenix, you add “I hope it’s not Phoenix” to your theory (in less flattering words). That doesn’t sound like speculating but more like looking for an excuse to knock Phoenix.
Just relax and rest assured: IT’S NOT PHOENIX!

Besides, it’s an adventure game. The most important person is the writer/designer, and that’s Jane Jensen. Do you doubt Jane Jensen that much? If you do, then why did you back her Kickstarter campaign?

I see how it is. I’m left to agonize in the uncertainty.

We’re all left with uncertainty. Very few of us are agonizing over it, though. Wink
Seriously though, I feel this is taking on Bracken Tor proportions.

A highly experienced, presumably well-funded developer giving us a new Gabriel Knight. As a Gabriel Knight fan, and assuming this is true, I’d be extremely pleased.

Regardless of whether or not this is true, “highly experienced” does not necessarily mean “talented”, and as long as the genre they are experienced in isn’t mentioned, I wouldn’t be so quick to announce my satisfaction. Would you really want the team that made Box Office Bust as the devs for a GK game? Or a team that’s only done Guitar Hero games? Be careful what you wish for…

But why the long period without any news?

Because you’re impatient. They’re just doing it to piss you off… Wink
All kidding aside, who cares? It’s not like you can do anything about it. They’ll announce it when they’ll announce it, and the reasons for the long wait are theirs. If you’re losing sleep over this, then you need a different hobby, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Deleted by me because I’m trying to play nice.  Wink

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

TimovieMan - 23 April 2013 12:04 PM

ecause you’re impatient. They’re just doing it to piss you off… Wink
All kidding aside, who cares? It’s not like you can do anything about it. They’ll announce it when they’ll announce it, and the reasons for the long wait are theirs. If you’re losing sleep over this, then you need a different hobby, imo…

In all fairness it’s been almost a YEAR now. Over 11 Months With no new information. In the Kickstarter video where Jane announces and offers MGX, she clearly says there’ll be more information soon. There wasn’t. And to make it worse, every 2 months or so, there’s the promise from Pinkerton Road of new information, of an annoucnement. And then nothing. To be frustrated by waiting 11 months for a promised annoucement is not being impatient.

Not let me be straight, going around Demanding publishers tell you whether or not they are making Mystery Game X is unacceptable. But everyone has every right to complain if they are disatisfied. Whether or not you think it will make any difference-no matter.

And no, nobody is losing any sleep about this, but some people right now are disatisfied, they’ve paid for a game, and have been promised an annoucement for 11 months, and have a right to say speak out

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do agree, that the publicity, or the lack of it, for MGX might actually has done it more harm at the moment, as it has begun to look like a project that might never see the light of day, or is otherwise in problems.

Of course, the harm is directed more towards Jensen, as it’s her project, but then again, she is bound by her contract, which seals her lips about it and as we don’t know who the developer is, the whole debacle really does not effect them at all.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Who JUST paid for MGX?  If you pledged Kickstarter, you really pledged for Moebius - and MGX is a bonus for you.

Bt

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Blackthorne - 23 April 2013 04:35 PM

Who JUST paid for MGX?  If you pledged Kickstarter, you really pledged for Moebius - and MGX is a bonus for you.

Bt

Nobody JUST paid for it. That’s why people have been WAITING.

Please watch the May 4th MGX kickstarter video again

On May 4th, two weeks before the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter ended, Jane Jensen made an offer. Moebius was the game that backers had chosen to be Pinkerton Road’s first BUT she could now announce that she was making two games.
For $15-30 dollars you could choose ONE game. Either Moebius or Mystery Game X. Over $30 got you both games. MGX was never a bonus. Why charge $15-$30 for just a bonus? It was an alternative offer for those who weren’t interested in Moebius. And another full game for those who were already in.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yet another reason why Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter was a joke.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Lambonius - 23 April 2013 05:48 PM

Yet another reason why Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter was a joke.

No, come on. It wasn’t a joke at all-that’s rude. Jane’s kickstarter offered a new adventure game from one of the more interesting writers in the genre and a brave new idea in community based gaming-where the fans get to be part of the artistic process, repeatedly-like Community farming with a new game every season.

It was such an interesting idea and had such a professional presentaiton (clear plans, showing where they’d source out elements-comapnies they’d worked with before) These things made the Kickstarter more interesting and unique, than others from designers who relied on past glories and few details

Unfortunately part of that has backfired with this Mystery game X thing. But a lot of this seems to be down to the publisher, and their bizarre behaviour, this refusal to announce anything about the game for 11 months. Which people are unhappy about

AND Lamby you SAID you’d play nice. 2 hours later, this? Doesn’t seem very nice to me (shakes head- purses lips like Mary Poppins)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top