• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

telltale says little, but no not nothing. We’ve got teaser art, and a name for the new fables game. And the same has been for every release theyv done: theyv announced theyr working on it long before it comes out. Though its true they dont promote it very much.

And yes jane called it a big publisher. Big fish games is technically a big publisher that dishes out hundreds and hundreds of games Wink

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

MI1:SE was announced less than 2 months before its release. So if MGX is a GK remake, announcing it late wouldn’t be unprecedented.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Mobile and downloadable games are often announced shortly before they release. This isn’t some major retail release that is going to get a year of hype. The thought process is that the announcement will generate a lot of news and excitement, but only fleetingly, so it’s important to make sure the game comes out before it exits the public consciousness.

Based on the fact that Jane said design, art, writing, music, and voices are complete on MGX, I think Lambonius’ fears about it not getting released are unfounded. It’s coming out, it’ll probably come out sometime this summer when the market is relatively slow.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Gabriel Knight 1 was released on Dec 17, 1993.

Exactly 20 years later will be this December. Just saying. Maybe the series will get something special on its 20th anniversary?

Recently announced target release date for Moebius is Dec 16, 2013.

Could Moebius and Mystery Game X both come out in December? Wouldn’t surprise me.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Eh, well seeing where moebius has gotten after 1 year, i wouldnt be surprised if we dont see it until mid 2014 or beyond.
I have no idea what to expect about mgx, since we really dont know what state its in.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

zane - 30 April 2013 08:12 PM

Eh, well seeing where moebius has gotten after 1 year, i wouldnt be surprised if we dont see it until mid 2014 or beyond.
I have no idea what to expect about mgx, since we really dont know what state its in.

We do, though. We know that the writing, voices, music, and art are complete, but that the development is not. This says to me it’s in an advanced state of completion, most likely beta.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

The development is the only thing that matters. It could mean the publisher will have it ready next week, or one year from now. Because all that stuff being “done” that you mentioned, was “done” last november.
And while they initially said the reason they werent releasing in december is because they wanted “to avoid the holiday rush”, now they admit they were only squeezing it into episode form because it really wasnt ready for december.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Apparently Jane has confirmed that MGX is no longer going to be episodic, but will instead be a full game. I’m thinking 20th Anniversay Gabriel Knight remake with additional material added.

This leaves many questions…
(assuming the above scenario is correct)
Will Virginia Capers be brought back as narrator?
Will the game be full 3D, or a combination of 2D backgrounds with 3D characters?
Is this the only Sierra franchise currently under development by Activision for a reboot?
Will Tim Curry’s accent have changed again?
Will this game overshadow Moebius, or will its release be a nice complement to Moebius?

Update: just did a quick google search. The answer to the first question is no. RIP Virginia Capers.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Cool.  Guess we’ll wait and see.

Bt

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

It would be pretty awesome if Virginia Capers came back as narrator. I’m not sure how they would do that though. She died.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Seeing as how Gabriel Knight’s narrator is perhaps the worst abomination to ever befall video game voice acting, I am SO glad that it’s not possible.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Words can’t describe how much I hate the narrator voice in GK1.  I hate it so much that I feel it necessary to double post about it.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

Oh come on, it’s just a game , and there was an option to turn the Narrator Voice off if you didn’t like it. Wink

When I first played GK1 I admit I had to get used to her, but I started liking her. Smile

I am baaaaaaaack!

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

kate me - 08 May 2013 01:58 PM

Oh come on, it’s just a game , and there was an option to turn the Narrator Voice off if you didn’t like it. Wink

When I first played GK1 I admit I had to get used to her, but I started liking her. Smile

I know!  That’s just it, too.  You know that there had to have been some people on the development team that were on the fence about the narrator voice, or they wouldn’t have included the option to turn ONLY the narrator off.  Were there any other Sierra games that even did that?  It certainly wasn’t a standard feature.

But oh my God—the slooooowwww drawn out way she says everything…talk about a pace killer.  The worst was the way she read the newspaper dates.  “Nineteen hahndret and ninety treeeeeee.”  Fuck.  I can’t get that horrible voice out of my head!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I hated the narrator voice the first time I encountered it, therefore I turned it off. By now I really like it though.
As to why the option to turn the narrator voice off was included - well, GK1 had lots of options, I think because by then the engine was really matured and so there was more time for the programmers to add options and to finetune.
I mean, the talkie version of KQV didn’t even offer the option whether to turn on text, it just was off, even though I rather would have read the lines and clicked through them than to be forced to listen to the narrator. So annoying! With SQIV it was either or. Only through a bug could you have both text and voice at the same time. Since GK1 was last in line as a VGA game made with SCI it makes sense that so many customization options were included, after all the time of finetuning and optimization the engine went through. My guess at least. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top