• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I hated the narrator in gk1. I’m not glad the actress is dead, but I’m definitely glad she won’t be making a return in MGX (if that’s what MGX is). Anyway, a narrator feels like an extremely antiquated thing, a clunky remnant from the days of text adventures and back when it was easier to describe what was going on than to actually show and animate it. (Except of course for something like LSL, where the narrator is pretty much a character in the game, constantly interacting with Larry.) I think a GK1 remake should just have Gabriel comment on things, just like in GK2/3.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I think a spoken narrator can work, if done right.  It does enhance the story-book feel of the game, but like you said, I think it really depends on the graphical fidelity of the game.  I think “retro-style” games can still get away with it, whenever there is room for interpretation with what the viewer is seeing in the scene.  I think more modern games work better with first-person narration, if any.  By first person, I mean more the idea of being in the main character’s head—hearing their thoughts and commentary on what they’re experiencing.  That sort of thing.  I think that kind of thing can add a lot to the experience.

Regardless, I’d like the option to turn off spoken narrations if they’re in the game.  It really depends on the game, and the writing quality though.  I absolutely DON’T think that narrators that have gimmicky voices are a good thing, since they’re bound to be divisive just by the very nature of how specific they are.  GK1 is a good example of the perils of that type of narrator.

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

um, IF it is a gk1 remake, i think its safe to say the majority of voices will be re-used from the original audio files. That “voice recording” thing they did was in 1-ish days… they didnt re-do all the parts that fast, so theyr probably referring to bringing the files up to a new format, and maybe they had to re-cast a part or two for licensing issues. If they re-did all of gabriels lines: then its not going to be tim curry.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Thing is, they don’t have the audio of GK1 in any higher fidelity than it is in-game. When the new management of Sierra took over back in the mid-late 90s they threw away all the stuff they had from the older games. That’s why the few remaining pieces of GK1 concept art that were offered as reward for high-tier backers of the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter were saved from a dumpster. That’s why the re-issued classic games collections (King’s Quest, Larry, Space Quest, etc.) were just configured with DosBox instead of having the SCI interpreter updated to the newest versions of Windows.
Source code, concept art, everything was thrown into the trash. What a waste…

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

If MGX is just a GK1 remake that’s gonna be the biggest disappointment ever.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Phod - 08 May 2013 07:32 PM

If MGX is just a GK1 remake that’s gonna be the biggest disappointment ever.

Boy, Jane is in a tough place. There are those who feel like anything but a new or reloaded GK would be a let down. Some people are bound to be disappointed.

If this is a GK 1 reboot (or prequel or GK 1.5), and if there is enough new material, and if the game looks beautiful and modernized, then my guess is most people will be very pleased.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

If they modernized GK2, I’d be a lot happier.  Due to its hand-painted nature, GK1 still holds up quite well graphically, and plays nicely.  It’s ironic that its two sequels both feel MORE dated and less playable today than the original, despite being technologically “superior” at the time.  I’d definitely enjoy an HD version of GK1 though, as long as they don’t mess with the interface.  It would be a real tragedy for them to ditch the deeper multi-icon interface for something like Cognition’s interface.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Playing a game I’ve already played just doesn’t excite me.

I agree she’s in a tough spot since the delay to announce just naturally builds unfulfillable anticipation. Just hope it’s new material. A new GK story even one that equals like 1/4 of a real game to me is way more interesting than just a remake ala Monkey Island or LSL.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

1 has always been my favourite, so I’d naturally like to see that remade first, especially as it’s the 20th anniversary.

I reckon I’ve completed it about 500 times so it’d be nice to see it remade.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 1359

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

It always restores my faith in humanity somewhat when people remember to use the word “if” when talking about mgx, rather than exhibiting the “MGX IS DEFO TEH GABRIEL KNIGHTZ BECAUSE JANE PROMISED IT - I SWEAR TO YOU (although I am unable to show any evidence to back up my assumption I am definitely right)” point of view.

We do not know what it is. I have no problem with speculation about it - that’s good, but if when people are disappointed (if it isn’t GK related) I will be disappointed in them but not surprised.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Lambonius - 08 May 2013 08:02 PM

If they modernized GK2, I’d be a lot happier.  Due to its hand-painted nature, GK1 still holds up quite well graphically, and plays nicely.  It’s ironic that its two sequels both feel MORE dated and less playable today than the original, despite being technologically “superior” at the time.  I’d definitely enjoy an HD version of GK1 though, as long as they don’t mess with the interface.  It would be a real tragedy for them to ditch the deeper multi-icon interface for something like Cognition’s interface.

I still claim that the third game is the one that is in most need of a remake. The first two works fine the way they are but you can’t really say the same about the third one. Although it will probably still need to be full 3D so remaking it is probably a lot of work.

With that said, I wouldn’t exactly be disapointed if there would be a remake of the other two games. I’m sure I will get much enjoyment of MGX whatever it is.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Henke - 09 May 2013 05:10 AM

I still claim that the third game is the one that is in most need of a remake. The first two works fine the way they are but you can’t really say the same about the third one. Although it will probably still need to be full 3D so remaking it is probably a lot of work.

I’d personally pick the second as the one most needing a remake. The FMV is just beyond awful - redo the entire thing as a normal game and cut all that horrendous amateur hour acting Wink

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 09 May 2013 06:41 AM
Henke - 09 May 2013 05:10 AM

I’d personally pick the second as the one most needing a remake. The FMV is just beyond awful - redo the entire thing as a normal game and cut all that horrendous amateur hour acting Wink

My vote is for GK2 remake2, GK3 aged well, the environments specially, i still profoundly
remember how Fingers were individually animated for each character, back in those days it was a unique thing , also played major part in plot.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I would claim GK3 looked horrible even when it was brand new.

While GK1 has an art style reminiscent of a comic book that works fine with its story and GK2 has photographs of real locations in Germany which also works great with the story. GK3 has graphics that can at best be described to look like a bad golf simulator. Not really ideal when being a magnificent game about vampires and historical mysteries in France.  Smile

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The reason why it did look so horrible was the fact that the game took MUCH longer than expected, by the time it was released, game graphics had already moved on. The game was doomed to look bad from the start.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top