You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game you're playing. How far you are.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #1401
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Well, for me, it's the horribly outdated graphics and presentation that drag down the experience for me. I'm a bit of a next-gen-graphics addict, so I like AC better. I will admit, though, that if you take the game in the context of when it was released, it's a great game.

Last edited by Giligan; 03-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #1402
Psychonaut

Well the game is 12 years old.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #1403
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

I don't play a lot of console games (my brother is the console expert) but occasionally I'll check one out.

I know this may sound silly, but I really love the Petz games. I rented the Catz one recently and the cats in it were so adorable. I know these games are made for younger players, but I couldn't resist. The game play is pretty simple. You get to pick which breed of cat you want, and of course they live in a charming little town where they can talk to each other, and make cute little meowing and purring sounds. You go on little scavenger hunts, but there's also a big bad wolf that escapes from the little jail there, and you have to figure out how to capture him again before he can do more damage to your little town.

I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this game. But I'm a big kid. We had to put our own cat down last year due to cancer, so I notice everything related to cats. My brother actually told me about this game, so I rented it for the heck of it. It is ridiculously cute. A perfect game to for your kids if they are still too young for some of the more graphic games and you want something "safe" to introduce them to as far as gaming.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #1404
In an evening of July...

Battlefield Heroes.
Playing the closed beta since today. I guess I can say that I'm enjoying it without breaking the NDA.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #1405
Lazy Bee

Ghost in the Sheet

Great game!
I'm about to start the fan in the lobby.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #1406

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Been playing some Treasure Hunter G last week, 11 hours in and it is a pretty good game but battles are occuring too often. It has a unique top down battle system that is based moving on a grid/battle field with command points that is drained while moving or commanding an attack (think Valkyrie Profile 2 but plays not exacly the same). The funny thing about the too frequent battles, its not like its random encounters which was normal at the time (1996), and you do have options at times to evade but a lot of the battles are event scripted so in the end you have no choice but to fight (since there is no run command). However the problem is that if you run away from them you might get a bit problem when going against bosses. If you can get passed this its a very enjoyable unique game.

Whats interesting to know is that this was Squaresofts last published game on a nintendo console before they broke off the partnership. The game is developed by Sting and they usually are pretty creative when it comes to coming up with a battlesystem for their games (also good musical scores!). I gave the game a chance due to the fact that I am anticipating their next release on the nintendo ds. Yggdra Union was a fantastic strategy rpg.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #1407
Master of time and space

Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Two words to describe it. Kick ass!
I'm a few hours into it and so far it's even beating Symphony of the Night hands down. Loving it. :-)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #1408

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Mata Hari

I know I read some dreadful reviews, but so far (I've played it 3 hours or so), I'm really liking it
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #1409

While Braid and Still Life 2 dont arrive here, i started Dracula Origin. The gfx are gorgeous.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #1410
In an evening of July...

The Dig

Loving it. I'm usually not a big fan of retro adventures, but the art and story of this one really grabbed me. I'm playing it with a walkthrough, skipping about half of the puzzles, hating myself for that.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #1411

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
The Dig

Loving it. I'm usually not a big fan of retro adventures, but the art and story of this one really grabbed me. I'm playing it with a walkthrough, skipping about half of the puzzles, hating myself for that.
Same this game really drew me in from the start. I used a walkthrough for the wall combinations but you won't really need it for anything else.

I'm playing Broken Sword 2 again at the moment. Just got back to Nico where she nearly gets killed lol. I'm also replaying Grim Fandango and playing Moneky Island 4 (not impressed tbh)
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #1412

FAR CRY 2 (PC)

DAMN I LOVE THIS GAME!

I put it off for so many months due to DRM, but found it brand new for £10 so finally picked it up. I would've happily paid £39.99 when first released had it not been for that program.

Anyway, the game is quite literally my ultimate gaming haven. Gorgeous forest, deserts, waterfalls, lakes, etc. Amazing fire and explosion effects, awesome weapons, animation on the badies is cool. The list goes on. I really thought I'd hate it, but the added effects for realism (weapons jamming, maleria) really add to the experience, and the whole RPG thing with upgrading weapons and picking extra missions works so well too.

I'm currently at 50% (just moved The Jackel's weapons to another location then the female skipper got ambushed. As said before, chapter 2 really is a whole lot more fun than the first. I will be playing through this game more than once.

Shame I can't seem to get online without being kicked off. I don't know if it's my connection or I'm being booted off by other players

Well worth buying guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #1413
The Greater

Resident Evil 5

I made it as far as the final boss fight, got stuck, and now I'm going through it all again in co-op, in the hope that two people will have better luck than one.

Thoughts so far:

First of all, the game has quite a few things going for it. The graphics are absolutely the best I've seen. The plot, carrying forward from the previous games, is in full effect. The two main characters are great. Unfortunately, the game is short, and there are small annoyances like the aggravating inventory system and the inability to aim and move at the same time, but none of those are hardly game-killing problems.

However, my biggest problem with the game is that I feel like I'm playing Resident Ninja Gaiden 5. I don't hate all Japanese game design, but every video game region has definite trademarks of game design, and those of Japanese games are all here. Being a fan of Western-style shooters, which Western studios do so well, I almost hate some of the gameplay in RE5. Fighting wave upon wave of increasing difficult and improbably designed* enemies gets old pretty quickly. There's very little focus on the environment and atmosphere.

Spoiler:
*The big dude that you have to kill with the Humvee-mounted machine gun is a perfect example.

That's a matter of personal taste, so, though. Otherwise, great game.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 AM   #1414

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Resident Evil 5

I made it as far as the final boss fight, got stuck, and now I'm going through it all again in co-op, in the hope that two people will have better luck than one.
You know you don't have to start the game over again? you can replay the chapters you have already won to build up ammo/money/healing items
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #1415
The Greater

Yes, I know. If someone else hadn't been playing with me on co-op, I would have, but because of the co-op thing I wanted to completely start over.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #1416
Lazy Bee

I'm currently at chapter 2 of Amerzone. It's nice to get a little Benoit Sokal magic while waiting for Syberia 3.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #1417

Not sure which game to play next. Either replay Grim Fandango (been a few years) or finish culpa innata?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #1418

Default Ghost in the Sheet

Enjoyable game. I had just finished the secton where I was being chased by Oozy and went to different area and the game crashed. Now I have to go back and do the chase again. It's been a fun game so far.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #1419

Conker Live and reloaded. I cant get past the vampire part where your a bat...Man I hate this part.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #1420
In an evening of July...

Broken Sword 1, just finished Ireland.