View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #1413
Giligan
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Resident Evil 5

I made it as far as the final boss fight, got stuck, and now I'm going through it all again in co-op, in the hope that two people will have better luck than one.

Thoughts so far:

First of all, the game has quite a few things going for it. The graphics are absolutely the best I've seen. The plot, carrying forward from the previous games, is in full effect. The two main characters are great. Unfortunately, the game is short, and there are small annoyances like the aggravating inventory system and the inability to aim and move at the same time, but none of those are hardly game-killing problems.

However, my biggest problem with the game is that I feel like I'm playing Resident Ninja Gaiden 5. I don't hate all Japanese game design, but every video game region has definite trademarks of game design, and those of Japanese games are all here. Being a fan of Western-style shooters, which Western studios do so well, I almost hate some of the gameplay in RE5. Fighting wave upon wave of increasing difficult and improbably designed* enemies gets old pretty quickly. There's very little focus on the environment and atmosphere.

Spoiler:
*The big dude that you have to kill with the Humvee-mounted machine gun is a perfect example.

That's a matter of personal taste, so, though. Otherwise, great game.