Tales of Monkey Island - Page 17 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #321
Senior Member
 
gray pierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 716
Default

Well, just finished the last chapter and I gotta say : that was brilliant ! ToMI is without a doubt my favorite Monkey Island !

First the good :
Spoiler:
I loved the finale, it felt very epic. I really liked the fact that a lot of characters from previous chapters joined in. I also really, really, really liked the fact that Morgan played such a vital role in the finale. I have a huge crush on her and was one of the probably very few people who were rooting for Guybrush and Elaine to break up and Guybrush and Morgan getting together. Oh well, maybe next time.
I also loved the way LeChucks ship looked. Playing on it was a real pleasure. Wich brings me to my next point : I loved the fact that Guybrush really got his butt kicked this time. That hightened the tension for me. I also really liked the fact that Winslow sticked around with Guybrush and Elaine in the end. And finally I loved the final scene with Morgan and the Voodoo lady. Left me craving for more


Then the bad :
Spoiler:
I really disliked the fact that Morgan couldn't be brought back to life. I mean she redeemed her sins, shouldn't there be a reward ? I guess the final scene helps a lot in that way but I've still would have preferred her in a more fleshy form. Also, I would've liked to see more of the seabattle. The very little I saw of it looked pretty good but I still felt like I missed out on something. And finally Elaine's actions were never properly explained.


Well that's all I can think of for now. There is just one more thing that I think needs to be said. I know it's kind of winey and pathetic to remark on it but does need to be said :

Spoiler:
The tales have taken us to many places. Ranging from tropical islands to the inside of a manatee to the afterlife(or sort of) but there's one place we've never been and that is the dreaded shores of MONKEY ISLAND ! So why does this game have the words "Monkey Island" in the title ? Because there's Guybrush, LeChuck and Elaine ? Okay I get that but still you could also show that like this

THE ADVENTURES OF GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD
Sequal to the Monkey Island series

ALSO STARRING :
Elaine Marley
LeChuck

Of course, Tales of Monkey Island sounds better



Finally I'd just like to say, thanks Telltale for such an amazing gameseries and I truly hope you're gonna make another season !

Hope I haven't annoyed you guys to much with my rambling.

Last edited by gray pierce; 12-12-2009 at 05:24 PM.
gray pierce is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #322
The Quiet One
 
DustyShinigami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,986
Default

I haven't finished the last episode yet, but... yeah. This series has been very good. Monkey Island 1-3 are still my favourites though, but Telltale still did a great job.

One thing I've recently realized is that Telltale's episodes have had absolutely nothing to do with Monkey Island itself. In Monkey Island 1-4 Guybrush ended up visiting the island at some stage or another. Not in Tales though.
__________________
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
DustyShinigami is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #323
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!
 
Ascovel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 1,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
One thing I've recently realized is that Telltale's episodes have had absolutely nothing to do with Monkey Island itself. In Monkey Island 1-4 Guybrush ended up visiting the island at some stage or another. Not in Tales though.
In Monkey Island 2 Guybrush has visited Monkey Island only in a cutscene and only accordingly to Curse of Monkey Island. So it's possible in that in MI6 it will be revealed that the land of the dead from Chapter 5 in reality is located beneath Monkey Island or something like that.
__________________
A Hardy Developer's Journal - The Scientific Society's online magazine devoted to charting indie adventure games and neighboring territories
Ascovel is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #324
Senior Member
 
terhardp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 291
Default

I've just finished the last chapter of ToMI and I have to say that I'm very very happy with entire season. At first I was a bit sceptical regarding to the whole episode concept, but when I look now, it turned out amazingly well with MI.

BTW, I'm happy that all of the ingredients that hooked me to the MI games when I played CoMI the first time, back in 1999, are present in the "tales". From the original voice actors and great acting, to Land's music, from the trademark graphic to always fun yet chalenging puzzles. Not to mention the humor.

In my long time tradition, when playing my favourite games, I've patiently waited till the end of the credits and I'm glad that I did.

P.S. I also hope that the remake of "Le Chuck's Revenge" will happen someday since I've never played it. Call me spoiled - and indeed, I am - but I just can't force myself to play it when I look at the newer titles. I've also played "Secret of Monkey Island" for the first time now when the remake was out.
__________________
Recently finished: Yesterday
Currently playing:
Next in line: Not sure yet..
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
terhardp is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #325
The Quiet One
 
DustyShinigami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
In Monkey Island 2 Guybrush has visited Monkey Island only in a cutscene and only accordingly to Curse of Monkey Island
Eh? In a cutscene? To my knowledge Guybrush goes back to Monkey Island via an explosion whilst in LeChuck's fortress.

Spoiler:
There, you wander around the island, solving puzzles, and you meet up with Herman Toothrot again. And then of course the inevitable - Guybrush gets captured by LeChuck in the Carnival of the Damned. Unless you believe the theory that it was all in a little boy's head of course.


Spoiler:
And although it's only a brief stay, never-the-less, Guybrush is still captured by LeChuck and brought back to the Carnival of the Damned on Monkey Island in The Curse of Monkey Island.
__________________
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
DustyShinigami is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #326
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Eh? In a cutscene? To my knowledge Guybrush goes back to Monkey Island via an explosion whilst in LeChuck's fortress.

Spoiler:
There, you wander around the island, solving puzzles, and you meet up with Herman Toothrot again. And then of course the inevitable - Guybrush gets captured by LeChuck in the Carnival of the Damned. Unless you believe the theory that it was all in a little boy's head of course.


Spoiler:
And although it's only a brief stay, never-the-less, Guybrush is still captured by LeChuck and brought back to the Carnival of the Damned on Monkey Island in The Curse of Monkey Island.
Spoiler:
The island Guybrush landed on was Dinky Island.
COMI revealed that the carnival from the final scene of 2 was located on Monkey Island and that the underground tunnels from 2 linked Dinky to Monkey Island.
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #327
The Dartmaster
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default

Monkey 2 doesn't include a visit to Monkey Island (except via Curse's retcon saying Dinky and Monkey islAnds are connected, or saying the carnival at the end is actually a spell on Monkey Island), nor does it include insult fighting of any kind, nor does it include a puzzle where you have to convince three pirates to join your crew. Realizing that 2, one of the undisputably original Monkey games, didn't actually include these "must haves" was incredibly freeing. "Monkey Island has to have insult fighting!" "You must gather a crew!" "it's not a Monkey Island game unless you visit Monkey Island!" are all common refrains, but they were all proven false as early as the second (and some would say strongest) entry in the series. I'm not trying to imply Tales can touch Monkey 2 here, just that Monkey 2 showed us that the rules of what makes a Monkey game are different and more interesting than what they may seem at first glance.
Jake is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #328
Senior Member
 
3rdFloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 290
Default

I completed Chapter 5 last night and I couldn't be happier about how it wrapped things together, with one of the most atmospheric and deliciously epic finales I've ever seen in a game. Tales of Monkey Island is, without a single doubt, my favorite game this year.

The team's (Telltale's) passion and hard work really did shine through!
3rdFloor is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #329
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Monkey 2 doesn't include a visit to Monkey Island (except via Curse's retcon saying Dinky and Monkey islAnds are connected, or saying the carnival at the end is actually a spell on Monkey Island), nor does it include insult fighting of any kind, nor does it include a puzzle where you have to convince three pirates to join your crew. Realizing that 2, one of the undisputably original Monkey games, didn't actually include these "must haves" was incredibly freeing. "Monkey Island has to have insult fighting!" "You must gather a crew!" "it's not a Monkey Island game unless you visit Monkey Island!" are all common refrains, but they were all proven false as early as the second (and some would say strongest) entry in the series. I'm not trying to imply Tales can touch Monkey 2 here, just that Monkey 2 showed us that the rules of what makes a Monkey game are different and more interesting than what they may seem at first glance.
2 Did kinda set one feature, ending with a puzzle where you're being chased by LeChuck.
...although I don't think 4 did that....
Guess the only thing that makes a Monkey Island game is having Guybrush Elaine and LeChuck and the VooDoo Lady after all.
Oh well Islands too.
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #330
The Quiet One
 
DustyShinigami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post
Spoiler:
The island Guybrush landed on was Dinky Island.
COMI revealed that the carnival from the final scene of 2 was located on Monkey Island and that the underground tunnels from 2 linked Dinky to Monkey Island.
Ah, you're right of course. I stand corrected.
__________________
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
DustyShinigami is offline  
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #331
The Dartmaster
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post
2 Did kinda set one feature, ending with a puzzle where you're being chased by LeChuck.
...although I don't think 4 did that....
Guess the only thing that makes a Monkey Island game is having Guybrush Elaine and LeChuck and the VooDoo Lady after all.
Oh well Islands too.
There's obviously more to it than that! I just don't think it's a simple list you can check off and end up with a Monkey Island game.* The worst game in the world isn't going to be helped by visiting Monkey Island at the end, or slapping insult swordfighting in as a puzzle gate somewhere -- if anything it would add insult to injury! That alone shows that there's more to the formula than checking off some familiar puzzles and places. If making an adventure game that hits the right notes with players was as simple as checking off a list of nostalgia-fueled rules, nearly every third person adventure game of the last decade would be amazingly brilliant classics, instead of what they are. Instead, it's an incredibly difficult, nebulous task, which very few people have successfully cracked.

* I think Empire Strikes Back is another great example of this. After the first film was released, the Death Star became one of the most iconic images of Star Wars, so iconic that they felt obligated to put it back into the third one, and even many of the prequels, but the Death Star couldn't be further removed from the story of Empire Strike Back.
__________________
When on the Internet, visit Idle Thumbs | Mixnmojo | Sam & Max.net | Telltale Games

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Jake is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #332
Member
 
Antaios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
I completed Chapter 5 last night and I couldn't be happier about how it wrapped things together, with one of the most atmospheric and deliciously epic finales I've ever seen in a game. Tales of Monkey Island is, without a single doubt, my favorite game this year.

The team's (Telltale's) passion and hard work really did shine through!
Agreed completely! Loved every single moment of it. Roll on season 2 says I.
__________________
"Ahoy there, fancy pants."
Antaios is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #333
Headbanger
 
Henke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The North
Posts: 2,233
Default

I agree that the whole season was great. I really hope there will be a second one.
__________________
NP: Botanicula, Catherine, Dear Esther, Okami
Henke is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #334
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
There's obviously more to it than that! I just don't think it's a simple list you can check off and end up with a Monkey Island game.* The worst game in the world isn't going to be helped by visiting Monkey Island at the end, or slapping insult swordfighting in as a puzzle gate somewhere -- if anything it would add insult to injury! That alone shows that there's more to the formula than checking off some familiar puzzles and places. If making an adventure game that hits the right notes with players was as simple as checking off a list of nostalgia-fueled rules, nearly every third person adventure game of the last decade would be amazingly brilliant classics, instead of what they are. Instead, it's an incredibly difficult, nebulous task, which very few people have successfully cracked.

* I think Empire Strikes Back is another great example of this. After the first film was released, the Death Star became one of the most iconic images of Star Wars, so iconic that they felt obligated to put it back into the third one, and even many of the prequels, but the Death Star couldn't be further removed from the story of Empire Strike Back.
Well I suppose it doesn't have to be those 4 characters, but I would imagine it would have to be something like their relationship.
Like you had 4 different people but one was still someone grasping for glory and fighting for the love of another with one being a villain and the fourth pulling the strings. I guess...
Like you couldn't change the setting and the characters and still call it monkey island because it feels like it, that would probably just be the designer you're feeling....
I think...
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #335
Member
 
Antaios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Posts: 80
Default

*butts in*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
There's obviously more to it than that! I just don't think it's a simple list you can check off and end up with a Monkey Island game.
Actually, I do think it's as simple as that. A third person adventure featuring those characters and being set in that fictional universe, building on the legacy of the other four games is a Monkey Island adventure by definition, I think. Just like a movie featuring the Death Star (and also, set in that universe) is a Star Wars movie.

No, it doesn't make it a good game or a good movie, I agree on that, and no, it isn't a list to check off, but basically, putting together those elements into an adventure game makes a Monkey Island game, even if we don't visit the island itself.

My two cents.
__________________
"Ahoy there, fancy pants."
Antaios is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #336
The Quiet One
 
DustyShinigami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,986
Default

I just finished episode 5 and thought it was very good. However, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed for some reason. I don't know why or what it is... It could be some of the revelations/plot explanations etc. I mean, I'm puzzled how

Spoiler:
Elaine knew that Guybrush would end up in the afterlife before she gave him her wedding ring. Also, am I missing something here? But how/why did Elaine's ring work and bring Guybrush out? Galeb even explained that once the rips are sealed by Guybrush's last shred of life, that whoever's in the afterlife could never leave. And then, that solution just pops up right at the end. Hmmm...


Also I agree with gray pierce about Morgan...

Spoiler:
She redeemed herself for her sins but she seems to be stuck as a spirit forever (for now, maybe?). And now it looks like she'll be the next baddie with her new ghostly powers. Not that she would be able to do much mind, as Guybrush couldn't really do much as a spirit.


I'll have to echo everyone else here about the finale with LeChuck... it was cinematic, funny, clever, fun and with a touch of suspense. At one point, however, I did become a bit confused/frustrated with the

Spoiler:
seesaw puzzle. I thought I'd stumbled on a bug after I'd got Elaine to the light the cannon and clicked on the broken door. Instead of LeChuck landing on the otherside of the seesaw, catapulting Guybrush into the cannon, he landed on the opposite side and threw Guybrush before he even got the chance to step on it. As a result, I ended up checking a walkthrough. Turns out, as many of you know, that LeChuck needs to be standing above the cannon in order for it to work. If I'd've known I wouldn't've checked the walkthrough in the first place.


Either way, it was a very good series that I thoroughly enjoyed and I can't wait to see what's next in store for Guybrush and crew.
__________________
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 12-14-2009 at 12:27 PM.
DustyShinigami is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #337
The Dartmaster
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Rafael, California
Posts: 3,084
Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaios View Post
Actually, I do think it's as simple as that.
Putting the Monkey Island logo on a game makes it a Monkey Island game. Done. It's what you do beyond that to make it good that counts, and I think people are sometimes too literal and superficial with what they think constitutes "making it good."
Jake is offline  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #338
Member
 
Antaios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Amersfoort, the Netherlands
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Putting the Monkey Island logo on a game makes it a Monkey Island game. Done. It's what you do beyond that to make it good that counts, and I think people are sometimes too literal and superficial with what they think constitutes "making it good."
Agreed on that of course.
__________________
"Ahoy there, fancy pants."
Antaios is offline  
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #339
Fulci lives
 
Hamham Chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 981
Default

Will Tales of Monkey Island season 1 be released on dvd?
__________________
- And you will face the sea of darkness and all therein that may be explored -
Hamham Chan is offline  
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #340
Senior Member
 
Little Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 534
Default

Yes it will, same as with the Sam & Max seasons, though no idea when it'll be released.
__________________
"There's a difference between knowing you are, and simply being."

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Little Writer is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.