You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #301
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Oh, my. Pretty drastic differences.
Yes, indeed. The Wii version looks the same as when I'm running the game on a virtual machine that doesn't support the full feature set of Direct-X. I already heard from friends that the Wii doesn't have the most impressive hardware specs, but I didn't know it was *that* bad.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #302

It's sad when you see (at least in Oz) the ads on tv for Wii games vs PS3 and the 360. They look for the most part like midstage PS2 games .

I really wish there were telltale games for the PS3 or 360.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #303
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugignadl View Post
I really wish there were telltale games for the PS3 or 360.
There are for the 360, through Live Arcade - all of the Wallace & Gromit episodes, and all of the Sam & Max episodes.

PS3 is something they've been talking about for a long time and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens at some point. They had an opportunity a few years ago to make their tools work for 360 and Wii to do a CSI game with Ubisoft, so that's why those platforms came first.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #304

Oh, thanks for the information fov!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #305
rebmeM roinuJ

Location: Purple Armchair, Hoveton, England, United Kingdom, Earth-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugignadl View Post
I really wish there were telltale games for the PS3.
You have no idea, how much I would love that!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #306
Citizen of Bizarro World

New trailer, screenies and concept art on the telltale website, kiddies!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #307

Thanks ! The trailer looks awesome ! I just wish they'd ended with the ToMI logo instead of the "chapter five coming december 8th" or something similar. This way it doesn's feel like a season trailer wich obviously it is. Other then that it's one of the most beautiful trailers I've ever seen. It really sums up the story pretty good without revealing to much and it does an excellent job at showing the game's atmosphere.

I'm using the "hand out of the grave" screenshot as my desktop wallpaper by the way
Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #308

Maybe someone has posted this before (if so: sorry for my double posting), but I just found this video on 'the 100,000th grub': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRl-1txp0tQ
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #309
Citizen of Bizarro World

Well, Ep 5. was pretty effin' brilliant.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #310
fov
Rattenmonster

I agree.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #311
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
Well, Ep 5. was pretty effin' brilliant.
Good to hear...I've been saving it for the weekend to play. I just replayed the previous episodes to get ready for it. I'm very psyched!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #312

ep5 is terrible, imo. the puzzles are totally half-assed, in both concept and execution. they completely ruined what would have been an EPIC monkey island setting in better hands, the land of the dead. they made it completely dull. it felt shorter than any of the episodes so far. it introduced all sorts of new, confusing plot elements sort of last minute that seemed totally arbitrary and forced. the ending was totally lackluster. wow.

i'm pretty disappointed by the whole ToMI series, but Ep 3 was actually pretty good I thought. if the writers of that episode did the whole series, it would've been amazing I bet.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #313

I've started it last night. Great to see some familiar themes.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #314
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Just finished it there, liked how the final puzzle with LeChuck was kinda reminiscent of the first games last puzzle.

But the ending was a bit flat at one point
Spoiler:
I liked the logic behind using the ring but what annoyed me was when Guybrush was like "YOU KNEW!?"...I mean how did she know you would end up using a spell like that? at least at the point when she gave you the ring.
Also what happened to the Dog, I hope it didn't get destroyed just so you could open those rips.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #315

Tales of Monkey Island have had such good things said about them! I'm waiting for the DVD to be released before I install and play.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #316

Phew, all done.
Overall, for me at least, the telltale monkey island games beat MI4, but are still nowhere near as entertaining as the first 3 games for me.

I liked the show-down for the finale, was suitably long and "puzzly" compared to a lot of other Telltale finales which are usually achingly short.

Besides some horrible camera issues, my two chief issues with every single Tales episode:

1: ALL of the supporting cast are the exact same character model but with slightly different haircuts and skin colours. I seriously find it impossible to tell them apart, since their chief characteristics are either 'dopey' or 'surly', and although the voice actors do a decent job its clear they're doubling up on many of the voices. They're practically interchangeable. Compare all of the MANY MANY support pirates in this series to CMI's Haggis, Cutthroat Bill & Van Helgen. Each had unique characteristics, appearance and voices which made them unmistakable. Very little of that here.

2: The worlds seem kind of... empty. Compare this to the lush worlds in CMI, where the screen was bursting with detail. CMI had many, many items you could interact with on a screen even if it was just 'looking', and just oodles of visual detail (same with 1 and especially 2). The 3d visuals in TMI on the other hand, are pretty sparse. Just so little to look at or interact with, that the game's immersion factor is low (especially obvious in this episode).

Don't know how I felt about this episode. A suitable closure, but the premise of
Spoiler:
Ghost Pirate Guybrush and then Zombie Pirate Guybrush... why no Demon Pirate Guybrush to finish to the logical trilogy?
SHOULD have been so much richer.
Spoiler:
The crossroads was wasted. So few dead pirates at the crossroads.
Hell, LeChuck's ghost ship in Secret of Monkey Island was WAY more lively and novel than this, both in terms of visuals and interactivity.

Overall, glad I played, and I'm VERY happy the series is being carried on, maybe these just suffer in comparison to some of the greatest adventure games of all time... On their own they're fairly entertaining.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #317

About the graphics and the (lack of) detail and the activity with things, and especially the lack of pirates by the crossroads: I agree. I also am very, very glad that there wasn't more stuff like that as my pc would definitely have had a problem with, say, twenty pirates by those crossroads.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #318

I've greatly enjoyed Tales of Monkey Island and actually place it above Curse, as well as Escape, as far as personal rankings go.

I do think this episode might get knocked a bit for being shorter and easier than the rest, but I still felt it was one of the better episodes. You can tell they were working with a tight deadline, but it was actually the only episode where I didn't encounter a glitch.

My favorite episodes:

1. Ep. 3
2. Ep. 5
3. Ep. 4
4. Ep. 1
5. Ep. 2 (Introduced some great characters, but was otherwise a little forgettable).
Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by MladenL View Post
Phew, all done.
Overall, for me at least, the telltale monkey island games beat MI4, but are still nowhere near as entertaining as the first 3 games for me.

I liked the show-down for the finale, was suitably long and "puzzly" compared to a lot of other Telltale finales which are usually achingly short.

Besides some horrible camera issues, my two chief issues with every single Tales episode:

1: ALL of the supporting cast are the exact same character model but with slightly different haircuts and skin colours. I seriously find it impossible to tell them apart, since their chief characteristics are either 'dopey' or 'surly', and although the voice actors do a decent job its clear they're doubling up on many of the voices. They're practically interchangeable. Compare all of the MANY MANY support pirates in this series to CMI's Haggis, Cutthroat Bill & Van Helgen. Each had unique characteristics, appearance and voices which made them unmistakable. Very little of that here.

2: The worlds seem kind of... empty. Compare this to the lush worlds in CMI, where the screen was bursting with detail. CMI had many, many items you could interact with on a screen even if it was just 'looking', and just oodles of visual detail (same with 1 and especially 2). The 3d visuals in TMI on the other hand, are pretty sparse. Just so little to look at or interact with, that the game's immersion factor is low (especially obvious in this episode).

Don't know how I felt about this episode. A suitable closure, but the premise of
Spoiler:
Ghost Pirate Guybrush and then Zombie Pirate Guybrush... why no Demon Pirate Guybrush to finish to the logical trilogy?
SHOULD have been so much richer.
Spoiler:
The crossroads was wasted. So few dead pirates at the crossroads.
Hell, LeChuck's ghost ship in Secret of Monkey Island was WAY more lively and novel than this, both in terms of visuals and interactivity.

Overall, glad I played, and I'm VERY happy the series is being carried on, maybe these just suffer in comparison to some of the greatest adventure games of all time... On their own they're fairly entertaining.
this could've come from my brain. well said.

the treatment of the underworld is a travesty, but the whole game suffers from the same problems.

just imagining how cool even an obvious concept of the ghost pirate underworld would be makes me sad. i think two 12 year old kids could come up with a better world. imagine disfigured ghost pirates and demons everywhere, underworld bars and hang outs, tortures, hellish fires and demented lava caverns and such. it would almost be HARD to envision a world as sparse and empty and devoid of awesomeness as what telltale came up with. you're abolutely right about Monkey Island 1 too. the vision of hell under monkey island was FAR richer and more creative than this, and that's like 20 years ago.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #320

Episode 5 might be the easiest adventure ever. Finished it in one sitting without getting stuck.