You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #101
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Did you mean to say it that way or is it backwards? Currently you control Guybrush with the keyboard, which I know a lot of people will be against but everything you interact with is point and click.

Exactly how will this work well for consoles? I doubt it would translate suitably over to Wii remote but not a traditional joy pad.
Sorry for being unclear. What I meant to say is that the new keyboard control scheme fits well with an XBOX 360 or PS3 controller on a console, but I believe that the old Sam and Max controls are a better match for this type of game on the PC (at least for the demo portion). The clunky mouse controls I was referring to were when you click the mouse on guybrush and drag it, a circle- like shape with an arrow shows up, and you can move him like that. It is very imprecise compared to the keyboard controls, or the old Sam & Max mouse controls.

Firefox rules
Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #102
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post

Also, i wasn't particularly happy that i've had to pay the $34.95. I mean, don't get me wrong, i'm all for supporting Telltale, but i was hoping to pay $8.95 for just this episode at the moment. You can with Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit, so...
Is this certainly true? I pre-paid for the whole package because im just that big of a fan that i was gonna see it thru no matter what i ended up thinking of the first episode. but i must say, if this is true that you cant buy the Ep's singly then it is a real pity. So far Telltale have been the guys that we all love because they allow you to do things like buy single episodes. Why would that change now? The only reason i can possibly think of is that its Monkey Island and they may have payed more for the franchise and need to make more back off it (thus, destroy the very concept of episodal games by making us buy ALL of the episodes) OR they realize they're sitting on a veritable gold mine and plan to cash in. Thoughts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
If it's not a bug, it was such an extraordinarily obvious hint that it might as well have not been a puzzle in the first place. It's not the only bug either. If you use the bottle on the bottle opener without owning it, Guybrush will pull one that doesn't exist out of his jacket and use that.

I'm happy with the game, but I felt several things slipped through QA that shouldn't have.
On the same topic.... the mysterious Spade that guybrush pulls out of his inventory at various times. When does this happen in any other game... using objects he clearly doesnt have.... why cant i use the spade on other things if its infact there.... am I just not seeing it or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
I think the whole jungle maze puzzle was over done, i spent half the first episode on that. Other than... great.
I thought it was ingenious how it was done.

Spoiler:
I cant recall a puzzle in monkey island based on "sound" before like this one is where you have to find the treasure. That was an awesome idea, and worked really well. Took me a bit to actually realize that going in different directions made different noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
i was really pleasantly surprised after this episode. not to take anything too much away from the sam and max effort, but after playing those my expectations for ToMI were relatively low. im very happy to report that this was awesome and i cant wait for new episodes (my main gripe with samnmax was the constant recycling of art/environment assets, lets hope that won't happen to much in monkey island)
Totally totally agree. I hope they dont recycle too much stuff. However, remember how cool it was to go back to Melee island in MI4? That was cool and I would not be completely against them returning to a pre-used island in another ep as long as there was a good storyline point to it. I'd like to go to actual monkey island for another trip. See if anything is changed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk View Post

As a matter of fact it is by Michael Land.
The musical score is awesome. Has anyone sampled it? I'd like to have it as a ringtone on my iphone.... if anyone can help out? *nudge nudge*
Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
I always figured the MI games had a lot of dark humor, too. At least the first few.
MI2 was the creepiest. Digging up graves, resurrecting a pile of ash of a man who died in a flash fire at a weenie hut, being dropped in a pit of acid, etc. etc.
you have just summed up why MI2 is definately my favorite
Old 07-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #104
capsized.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!! Best Of Monkey Island material. (I'm still not finished).
Old 07-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #105
GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
you have just summed up why MI2 is definately my favorite
bring on the remastered version!!! Every few years i set up my AMIGA500 again just to play it.....the original beautifuly boxed edition which is one of my prize possessions.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #106

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Use the Wiimote to control the pointer, the nunchuck analog stick to move Guybrush around. Easy.
oh yeah...
Quote:
For the PS3, move Guybrush with the left analog/ D-pad, control the pointer with the right analog stick.
yeah, fair enough
Quote:
Anyway, finished the demo and I didn't laugh once. The pirate getting punched in the face almost worked, but there's something about the timing of the jokes overall that's a bit off.
Not even at the bit where Winslow talks about
Spoiler:
Guybrush having pirate Spunk
? Or when Guybrush was giving Winslow orders to
Spoiler:
magnify the view on his telescope using phrases from Star Trek
and Winslow followed them by
Spoiler:
extending said telescope and putting a second one in front of it
? I guess the humour of the game wasn't for everybody.

Quote:
Some conversations just drag
right button click interrupts characters.
Quote:
Guybrush doesn't look geeky enough
you've seriously never seen somebody grow a dodgy beard and come down with ‘empathetic embarrassment’?
Quote:
Finally, after years of waiting, I can actually directly control the main character in a point and click adventure.
you could do it in EMI and Grim Fandango, but you couldn't really 'point and click' in either because the system made you try to make sure the character was looking at the item you wanted to use and the name of the item would appear in order for you to select it... it was quite annoying, at times.
Quote:
I don't suppose Guybrush is able to run later on though?
Let's hope so.

Last edited by Melanie68; 07-11-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Fixed first quote tag
Old 07-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #107

Quote:
Not even at the bit where Winslow talks about
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think he said he played the demo. I think at least the last two weren't included in the demo.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I think he said he played the demo. I think at least the last two weren't included in the demo.
Is Winslow in the demo and, if so,
Spoiler:
can he be knocked off the Screaming Narwhal?
Old 07-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #109

Quote:
oh yeah... yeah, fair enough Not even at the bit where Winslow talks about
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Was this during the demo? Because I didn't meet anyone called Winslow.

Quote:
right button click interrupts characters.
But you shouldn't have to intterupt characters. The whole point of the game is to have interesting conversations.

CMI's conversations were perfect. Short but sweet. Punchy and to the point. Many of the old Lucasarts games were like that. To a certain extent, Telltale's S&M was like that also.

If you feel the need to interrupt a conversation, the game isn't doing his job properly.

Quote:
you've seriously never seen somebody grow a dodgy beard and come down with ‘empathetic embarrassment’?
You've obviously never come across me first thing in the morning.

Quote:
you could do it in EMI and Grim Fandango
That's true. And another game with the came control interface like Grim Fandango is exactly what I've been waiting for. I once brought up the idea of WASD keys to move a character and the mouse to look at things on these forums, but everyone shot me down, requesting we stick to more primative (or as some like to call 'traditionsal')controls.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #110

Yeah, somebody already pointed out that you said you'd played the demo. Having not played the demo myself (at least, not in demo form) I can't comment because I don't know exactly what's on there. However I think there are some particularly funny moments throughout the rest of the episode and it's well worth giving a try.

But I'm not prepared to try and talk you out of $35 just to try a single episode (or whatever your local currency is).

I happen to agree with you on the controls, though. I think the keybored/mouse combo would have been perfect if not for the fact that many of the paths are 45º off the WASD directions. (This was particularly irksome in the jungle).
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #111
Game Creator Hobbyist

Unless you have an extra picky keyboard (not all keyboards are created equal), you can hold down two arrow keys at once. The one thing I found missing in the interface was some more use for the keyboard (or maybe it's there and I couldn't find it). A key for bringing up / closing the inventory would have been useful.

In general, I liked the game.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
A key for bringing up / closing the inventory would have been useful.
Apparently you can do that with the mouse middle button. I wish I knew that before I finished it. You can also do it with "Tab" but it wasn't convenient for me.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #113

You can hit 'I' to bring up the inventory screen, 'E' to switch to examine mode once you're in it.

Also, to run you can hold the shift key.

The keys are pretty familiar if you're used to games of this type, but I found them all by guessing. I don't know that they're documented anywhere.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #114
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ximenes View Post
I don't know that they're documented anywhere.
A manual would have been useful, yeah. Would have made for a smoother experience. But at least we know that now for the next episode. (Unless they change things…)
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #115

Pressing the mouse wheel also opens the inventory. (possibly another reason why more net distributed games should come with a manual).
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #116

Quote:
But I'm not prepared to try and talk you out of $35 just to try a single episode (or whatever your local currency is).
No worries. I'll still keep my eye on this series. I might look up a few videos to see if the latter half of the game looks more enjoyable, or maybe the episodes will improve as the series progresses.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #117

Warning about graphics: Cranking the graphics down to 1 for the smoothest gameplay also renders part of the game unplayable. Graphics had to be set to at least 7 before a certain map could be read properly.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #118
GoT

Quote:
Pressing the mouse wheel also opens the inventory. (possibly another reason why more net distributed games should come with a manual).
Thanks for this, I found it very useful and I'm now operating the inventory this way without thinking. Just seems more natural to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Legrand View Post
Warning about graphics: Cranking the graphics down to 1 for the smoothest gameplay also renders part of the game unplayable. Graphics had to be set to at least 7 before a certain map could be read properly.
really? Is this actually confirmed? Anyone else seen this issue. Which of the maps are you saying doesnt work?

Spoiler:
Is it the one with the red viewer?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #119

Yes, but perhaps I should've said: "On MY computer..."
Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #120
GoT

well you could be right it could be a bug i might have to test that one out. I'm sure Telltale would like to know if it is.