You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #341
Fulci lives

Excellent. I will wait for the dvd, instead of downloading the episodes.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #342
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

HEY KIDS, YOU'VE BEEN DRAFTED:

Go here and vote for original things. Post a few lines of support. Don't let the thread just die.

A little grassroots nudging may help tip scales in favor of a risk or two.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #343

It would be cool if Telltale would release a disc version of this series strung together as a single game. They could add some extra puzzles, spruce up any dialog, or just add anything that got cut for time.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #344
Citizen of Bizarro World

I don't think adventure game content gets cut for time.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester View Post
HEY KIDS, YOU'VE BEEN DRAFTED:

Go here and vote for original things. Post a few lines of support. Don't let the thread just die.

A little grassroots nudging may help tip scales in favor of a risk or two.
After they're done with Sam and Max, sure I'd like them to do something original. I want to see if they can do it.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #346

Just finished the series... and holy four-headed-monkeys was that good!

Every part made me laugh out laud many times, the story is amazingly funny, puzzles are obvious to spot (which is good),
and relatively easy to solve... I think i was "stuck" maybe once
or twice but mostly cause i wanted to finish the parts in a single run so i guess my concentration ran out hehe.

The ending was brilliant, and the "cinematic" camera positioning only helped it...

Telltale did a brilliant work!

Spoiler:
Wohooo! Mo's a live and hopefully she's gonna be in the next MI game...
I mean... that ending sure doesn't mean it ends here
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Monkey 2 doesn't include a visit to Monkey Island (except via Curse's retcon saying Dinky and Monkey islAnds are connected, or saying the carnival at the end is actually a spell on Monkey Island), nor does it include insult fighting of any kind, nor does it include a puzzle where you have to convince three pirates to join your crew. Realizing that 2, one of the undisputably original Monkey games, didn't actually include these "must haves" was incredibly freeing. "Monkey Island has to have insult fighting!" "You must gather a crew!" "it's not a Monkey Island game unless you visit Monkey Island!" are all common refrains, but they were all proven false as early as the second (and some would say strongest) entry in the series. I'm not trying to imply Tales can touch Monkey 2 here, just that Monkey 2 showed us that the rules of what makes a Monkey game are different and more interesting than what they may seem at first glance.
i agree. it's old and tired when TT goes through the motions of some of the stuff they obviously feel is obligatory. enough 3-part quests, enough scavenger hunts for totally arbitrary voodoo items for a spell that is totally forced and doesn't make any natural sense in the story. enough of the exact same plot devices and such.

a real, worthy sequel would just go back to the first attitude of "how do we make a really cool pirate game?" taking inspiration from POtC, Treasure Island, history, etc and go from there. You don't even necessarily have to have Elaine or the Voodoo Lady. Just new clever ideas that fit in within that universe.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #348

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Great episodes, except for 3. That was the bummer of them. Didn't feel like I was playing MI during that tedius episode. I don't think I LOL'd once, but once episode 4 started I was laughing left and right again.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #349

Great game!!! Finally it IS a MONKEY ISLAND!!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #350

I just completed ToMI. I bought the whole series a few weeks ago so I played through the 5 episodes back-to-back as though I was playing a complete game.

Telltale did a great job, I was pleasantly surprised. To be honest my expectations were low. The demo that I played last year was a bit disappointing, that introductory sequence didn't really grab me. But from Floatsam Island onward, I loved it. I felt like a kid again discovering Monkey Island for the first time. They really breathed new life into the characters and the world, everything felt fresh and exciting. Really, really great.

Well, almost. The final episode was a bit of a letdown.

Spoiler:
The underworld felt very dull. Also it was very frustrating backtracking so much in order to enter the various rips spread out in each area. And although I LOVED the "good" LeChuck, I didn't like the new "evil" LeChuck. He didn't seem very menacing. I'm not sure why exactly, maybe too much smiling?

One other thing that was a wee bit disappointing for me was the music. For me the highlight of every Monkey Island game has always been the fun music. This time round though, the music sounded a bit... mediocre. There were some nice tunes (personally I love the "good" LeChuck theme) but over all it wasn't very memorable. Not that the music's bad or anything, but not up to par with the other games.

I'm being very picky though, like I said overall I loved what Telltale did. I really really enjoyed it and hope Telltale can make us some more Monkey Island games!

Spoiler:
I'd especially love to see more adventures with Morgan! I thought she was a cool character. Someone in this thread already mentioned this, but i was hoping that something would happen between her and Guybrush -- she's a lot more interesting than Elaine!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #351
Fulci lives

Looking at the Telltale website I noticed they are selling a dvd with all 5 episodes of Tales of Monkey Island. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but unfortunately I don't have a credit card.
This means I have to wait until the game is sold in stores, but when will this happen? Have Telltale revealed when we will see the dvd in stores in Europe?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #352

Retail versions of all Telltale's games have appeared eventually, but the wait could be quite awhile.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #353
Fulci lives

I can hardly wait.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #354
Under pressure.

I'm not sure if the Swedish PayPal also allows it, but I can transfer money between my bank and PayPal without a credit card. I don't know exactly how it works because I haven't tried it myself, though.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #355
Fulci lives

Good idea, I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #356
Mighty Pirateâ„¢

Mac support at last, so I've started playing this!
I got episode 1 for free back in 2009, episode 2 for free preordering Sam & Max Devil's Playhouse, and then bought the deluxe edition

I finished episode 4 yesterday, can't wait to start the finale, fantastic series.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #357
It's Hard To Be Humble

Well, I just played through the entire season on the Wii, and I'll tell you, I wasn't prepared for how much fun it would be. The only letdown for me was, the Guybrush/Morgan relationship was so much more believable than the Guybrush/Elaine relationship. I knew they wouldn't allow him to run off with a new woman, but still, I actually believed there was something between the former that just didn't seem to be there with the latter. *shrug*
Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #358
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
The only letdown for me was, the Guybrush/Morgan relationship was so much more believable than the Guybrush/Elaine relationship. I knew they wouldn't allow him to run off with a new woman, but still, I actually believed there was something between the former that just didn't seem to be there with the latter. *shrug*
I don't really think Guybrush fancied Morgan at any point in the series.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I don't really think Guybrush fancied Morgan at any point in the series.
Yeah, it was rather one-sided. Morgan had an obvious crush on Guybrush, but Guybrush was just oblivious to all the signs. I think he's a bit too obsessed with Elaine, who doesn't even treat him very nice.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 AM   #360

Tales of Monkey Island is a game with lots of humor, excellent screenplay and funny dialogs!

Graphics are cartoonish! Personally I did not care that the game has 3d graphics, I liked
them very much because they are nice and well-made! Also, the facial impressions of the
characters are fabulous!

The sound, voice acting and music in the game are absolutely perfect!

The puzzles of "Tales of Monkey Island" are great and very smart! The most of them are
inventory-based. I liked very much the "pirate faces" puzzle and it was one of my
favourite puzzles ever!

Screenplay and dialogs was excellent and very funny! The main characters (Guybrush,
LeChuck, Elaine, Voodoo lady) are great, and many of the secondary characters (Murray,
Stan, van Winslow, Morgan LeFlay, DeSinge, Bugeye) are great also! I have to say that
the story gets more and more interesting, and the game has a fabulous ending!

So, I think all of people who play adventure games, has to play "Tales of Monkey Island"!
It is one of the best adventure games I have ever played!