View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #331
Jake
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post
2 Did kinda set one feature, ending with a puzzle where you're being chased by LeChuck.
...although I don't think 4 did that....
Guess the only thing that makes a Monkey Island game is having Guybrush Elaine and LeChuck and the VooDoo Lady after all.
Oh well Islands too.
There's obviously more to it than that! I just don't think it's a simple list you can check off and end up with a Monkey Island game.* The worst game in the world isn't going to be helped by visiting Monkey Island at the end, or slapping insult swordfighting in as a puzzle gate somewhere -- if anything it would add insult to injury! That alone shows that there's more to the formula than checking off some familiar puzzles and places. If making an adventure game that hits the right notes with players was as simple as checking off a list of nostalgia-fueled rules, nearly every third person adventure game of the last decade would be amazingly brilliant classics, instead of what they are. Instead, it's an incredibly difficult, nebulous task, which very few people have successfully cracked.

* I think Empire Strikes Back is another great example of this. After the first film was released, the Death Star became one of the most iconic images of Star Wars, so iconic that they felt obligated to put it back into the third one, and even many of the prequels, but the Death Star couldn't be further removed from the story of Empire Strike Back.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens