View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #329
Karmillo
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Monkey 2 doesn't include a visit to Monkey Island (except via Curse's retcon saying Dinky and Monkey islAnds are connected, or saying the carnival at the end is actually a spell on Monkey Island), nor does it include insult fighting of any kind, nor does it include a puzzle where you have to convince three pirates to join your crew. Realizing that 2, one of the undisputably original Monkey games, didn't actually include these "must haves" was incredibly freeing. "Monkey Island has to have insult fighting!" "You must gather a crew!" "it's not a Monkey Island game unless you visit Monkey Island!" are all common refrains, but they were all proven false as early as the second (and some would say strongest) entry in the series. I'm not trying to imply Tales can touch Monkey 2 here, just that Monkey 2 showed us that the rules of what makes a Monkey game are different and more interesting than what they may seem at first glance.
2 Did kinda set one feature, ending with a puzzle where you're being chased by LeChuck.
...although I don't think 4 did that....
Guess the only thing that makes a Monkey Island game is having Guybrush Elaine and LeChuck and the VooDoo Lady after all.
Oh well Islands too.