• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Mikekelly - 10 February 2018 09:52 AM

Recent games don’t need this - both gog and steam will usually have them and you should be able to purchase them directly from the publisher as well.

GOG doesn’t have as many games as Steam, not by a long shot.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Nominations & voting so far:

Technobabylon (5) - MikeKelly (leader), SoccerDude, br305893, wilco, Lady Kestrel
Shivers (4) - Intense Degree (leader), SoccerDude, crabapple, rtrooney
Shardlight (3) - MikeKelly (leader), dumbeur, SoccerDude
St Christopher’s School Lockdown (1) - chrissie (leader)
Grim Fandango Remastered (1) - Bluamy

You have until Tuesday 13th February 8.00 P.M. (CET) to submit your nominations & votes!  Smile

Just 3 days to go now to get your nominations & votes in!  Smile

Technobabylon is ahead at the moment so I’ve posted the AG link here - to the right there are choices of where to buy & has been mentioned it does benefit Adventure Gamers to click on one of those links there rather than go directly to the sites to purchase the game. Technobabylon is currently $14.99 on GOG.
Technobabylon

Shivers is only on a wish list at GOG so otherwise not available at the moment as a download for modern machines but I understand that older copies may work in SCUMM?
Some of the downloads advertised may not be legitimate so would suggest trying places like Ebay or Amazon for original disc versions of the game. 

I’ll try & post links for places of purchase for other games if it becomes relevant in the next few days.   

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

*sigh*  I just discovered that the Mac version of Technobabylon is only for the iPhone or iPad.  I have an iPad that meets the system requirements, but playing with a handheld is not my first choice.  Frown  I’ll play it anyway if it wins, but I am disappointed.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have the original Shivers disc. I’ve done a bit of research. DOSbox is not the way to go. SCUMM/VM has nothing on its website other than the occasional “you might try this” comment with nobody reporting back with positive results. There are lots of comments like"Try installing your Win3.1 OS on a partition, and run the game from there.” Sorry! Don’t have any of that stuff lying around.

And, chrissie is right. Shivers is only wishlisted on GOG at the current time.

I’m going to throw this out there at the last minute. There is a game that was quite similar to Shivers, Lighthouse, that is available on GOG. I’m going to nominate it, and vote for it, and possibly volunteer to lead it. We Shivers aficionados, may have to wait for another day to get out fix. But this seems like an option.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

It’s certainly true that you need a disc for Shivers but it is fully compatible with Scummvm.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 10 February 2018 07:26 PM

I have the original Shivers disc. I’ve done a bit of research. DOSbox is not the way to go. SCUMM/VM has nothing on its website other than the occasional “you might try this” comment with nobody reporting back with positive results. There are lots of comments like"Try installing your Win3.1 OS on a partition, and run the game from there.” Sorry! Don’t have any of that stuff lying around.

And, chrissie is right. Shivers is only wishlisted on GOG at the current time.

I’m going to throw this out there at the last minute. There is a game that was quite similar to Shivers, Lighthouse, that is available on GOG. I’m going to nominate it, and vote for it, and possibly volunteer to lead it. We Shivers aficionados, may have to wait for another day to get out fix. But this seems like an option.

I have the original Shivers disk and it works with scummvm 2.0. You have to install the latest version of scummvm (make sure it is 2.0 version) and add the game to scummvm like you do any other game. Works great.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll take everyone’s word that it works with SCUMM/VM as long as you have the original disc. Now all we need is two more players.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 10 February 2018 07:26 PM

SCUMM/VM has nothing on its website other than the occasional “you might try this” comment with nobody reporting back with positive results.

Shivers is on the SCUMMVM compatibility page, rated excellent.
Shivers is also mentioned on the SCUMMVM home page, together with other Sierra games.

There are lots of comments like"Try installing your Win3.1 OS on a partition, and run the game from there.”

Forum comments from 2011-2013.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Technobabylon (5) - MikeKelly (leader), SoccerDude, br305893, wilco, Lady Kestrel
Shivers (4) - Intense Degree (leader), SoccerDude, crabapple, rtrooney
Lighthouse (1) - rtrooney (leader?)

You have until Tuesday 13th February 8.00 P.M. (CET) to submit your nominations & votes!  Smile

Just 2+ days to go now to get your nominations & votes in!  Smile

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I found a CD of Shivers on Amazon, so you can add me to that list since it’ll play in ScummVM.  I would also play Lighthouse again.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shivers (5) - Intense Degree (leader), SoccerDude, crabapple, rtrooney, Lady Kestrel
Lighthouse (3) - rtrooney (leader?), Lady Kestrel, chrissie

Just 2+ days to go now to get your nominations & votes in!  Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oh it’s a tie, somebody should call Mr. T…

Sorry, leaving now Tongue good luck

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Laughing
Can I leave too!  Cry

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shivers (5) - Intense Degree (leader), SoccerDude, crabapple, rtrooney, Lady Kestrel
Shardlight (3) - MikeKelly (leader), dumbeur, SoccerDude28
Lighthouse (3) - rtrooney (leader?), Lady Kestrel, chrissie

Just 1+ day to get your nominations & votes in!

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

What happens if there’s a tie?

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top