• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 22 April 2015 01:39 PM
diego - 22 April 2015 01:20 PM

Oh, if you’re impatient, start it right now! Tongue

(in other words - I’m still waiting for a volunteer. I’m in a tight schedule this week Wink )

I thought that you had volunteered yourself, but sure, if no one else wants to handle this, then I volunteer to do it.

Any objections?

I did for the previous round. This round is up for grabs. Wink (actually, it would be perfect if different person would organize every next voting. I’d like to see Lady Kestrel’s rule in work, for example.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Izno,
I was going to volunteer, but it would be a relief for me if you would do it because I’m trying to put my household back together.  The painting and repairs are done, but I have furniture, bookcases, and several thousand books and videos to shift.  I’ve made a small dent in the piles but still have a long way to go.

By the way, my ideas were suggestions to try.  Whoever is organizing the voting should do what he/she thinks best.  After all, it’s not a paying job. Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Anybody know where Sefir is?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 22 April 2015 01:39 PM

Any objections?

Phoenix Wright might have some:

Just kidding, no objections. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

No objections from me either. I was ready to jump in as well if nobody else came forward in the next day or two. I’ve pretty much got a template in Notepad for the thing.

If I can make a suggestion, bring all the games forward that were in the top half of the voting pool plus any games below that with leaders.

Ask if those leaders are still willing to lead. If not, eliminate those games. Then start accepting nominations under whatever ground rules you set.

Kind of like what we do at the CCPT.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 22 April 2015 11:09 AM
Oscar - 21 April 2015 09:44 PM

What’s wrong with leading a playthrough if you haven’t played the game?

I think all these semi-professional playthroughs we’ve had recently are great, but there’s nothing wrong with jumping in and saying straight up ‘look, I’ve never played this before but I’ll do my best and let’s all work through it together and see how it goes’.

The problem is that as a playthrough leader you need to set the breakpoints

Why? In the previous CPs everyone just talks about what stage they’re at, which is always different. No one actually follows the breakpoints.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 22 April 2015 10:24 PM

Why? In the previous CPs everyone just talks about what stage they’re at, which is always different. No one actually follows the breakpoints.

Only those that have fallen behind do that. Nobody talks about stages that are still beyond the current break point. Hence why we’d still need break points…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

If you want me to organize the voting, just say so. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone that wants the task for himself/herself though. I’m sure Iznogood will do fine. Just for God’s shake, let’s agree to the rules of the process first. Mind you, I find the current process the best of all options.

Karlok - 22 April 2015 04:41 PM

Anybody know where Sefir is?

Over here!
Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sefir - 23 April 2015 07:11 AM

If you want me to organize the voting, just say so.

I want you to organize the voting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

If you want me to organize the voting, just say so. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone that wants the task for himself/herself though. I’m sure Iznogood will do fine.

I don’t actually want the task, I just volunteered because we didn’t know you were available to do it, and somebody has to do it.

Karlok - 23 April 2015 07:17 AM

If you want me to organize the voting, just say so.

I want you to organize the voting.

Well since there is at least one that prefer you do it instead of me, then please takeover and organize this voting Sefir.

Just for God’s shake, let’s agree to the rules of the process first. Mind you, I find the current process the best of all options.

Me too!
Why don’t we just get on with the voting, and then we can always discuss the rules for the next CP vote in the meantime. Mind you, I think the consensus was that the rules are more or less up to the organizer.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 23 April 2015 09:43 AM

Well since there is at least one that prefer you do it instead of me, then please takeover and organize this voting Sefir.

Sefir does the job very well, so I meant what I said. But my opinion doesn’t count for much because I’ll refrain from voting, like I said before.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Very well.

The voting starts tomorrow.

Please, be free to propose a game you would like to play or, even better, a game you would like to lead.

As for myself, I nominate 3 games that I am available to lead. Of course there are a number of other games (popular too, according to the last voting) that I would like to play, but I will leave their possible leaders to nominate them.

I nominate:

Scratches

It is some time since the last time we had a 1st person game for an AGCP. It is much more time since the last time we had a horror game for an AGCP! Scratches is often called “Horror Myst” since it follows the logic of “explore first, solve later” in its (very smart, but not too hard) riddles and in its storyline (clues through diaries, etc though the reading material is much more intriguing). Also, minimum human interaction except of the house’s phone which contributes to the excellent spooky atmosphere. Finally, it is conveniently divided to chapters itself. A classic must play.

Discworld 2

In memory of the late Sir Terry Pratchet, I propose the only Disc game that wasn’t honored with an AGCP from this site. It is a 2d humorous adventure game of great quality. Its difficulty is lower than the absurd 1st one. The setting is also faithfull to the original Disc world. Rincewind is yet again the main character, but Death has much more to do in the storyline….

Murder in the Abbey

Another 2d game, but this time the setting is much more different. In a mystery thriller much like “The Name of the Rose”, Brother Leonardo (main character) along with his novice must investigate a troubling murder in the Abbey. Smart riddles (with some exceptions), great music score and voice acting, intiguing storyline, well-drawn characters.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Let me start with a clean slate, and nominate 4 games that haven’t been nominated before recently, I will also offer to lead these 4 games:

Sinking Island

A classic whodunnit taking place in a gigantic luxurious art-deco hotel on a small isolated island .. that is sinking!

Like all Benoît Sokal’s games it is an absolutely beautiful setting, especially the hotel itself is wonderful, but it is a very different game from everything else he has made, as it does not involve a journey, but is instead a murder investigation. It is also a 3D game, and it features realtime (more or less) events, like diner and people wandering about.

Overclocked: A history of violence

The title really says it all.
You are playing as a psychiatrist who investigates why a group of teenagers has suddenly gone berserk. Large parts of the story are told in flashbacks when you are interviewing them.

The Moment of Silence

It all starts when your neighbour is “arrested” by a swat team, and you begin to look into why. I won’t reveal more than that, just that there is of course a conspiracy to be uncovered .. Oh and it takes place in a near future, with hover cars and everything.

Dreamfall

If you haven’t played it - you should!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I nominate again

and also nominate and offer to lead

because I want to play them

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I have a terrible track record as far as community playthroughs are concerned, because I tend to lose interest after a month or so, so I’m not sure you should pay attention to this post. Still, I’m in the mood for adventures right now, so I’d like to nominate three games:

Shadow of the Comet

The best Lovecraftian adventure game ever made. Short but sweet, with lots of things to discuss. (However, there’s no digital version for sale anywhere, so you’ll have to either buy it second-hand, or… you know.)

The Experiment

A very non-traditional adventure, in which you don’t directly control the main character but guide her by manipulating her environment. A significant part of the game is also spent hacking people’s computers to find information and learn more about the story.

I haven’t replayed it since first playing it in 2007, but I remember (mostly) loving it. And it’s dirt cheap on Steam, so why not?

The Secrets of Da Vinci

Treasure hunts! Chemistry! Crazy (but physically sound) mechanisms! Conspiracies! Five pages of inventory! Pretty much Kheops Studio at the top of their game—and that’s saying something.

I guess I could offer to lead those three, if nobody else wants to.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top