• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2017 09:45 PM

Good point. And milk is white. Do you want to search for a white bottle?

YOU are the one giving hints, not me. Do YOU want to search for a white bottle? Let’s have a vote whether Karlok wanted to search for a white wine!

This isn’t fun anymore. Really! It must be the parser.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

If white bottle or white liquid/wine works and milk didn’t….
Let’s just do it

>search bin 3 for white bottle/liquid/wine

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>search bin 3 for white bottle
You search among the bottles, but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of them, all very much alike (though all exquisitely different, no doubt, once on the table). You stop searching, dispirited. Maybe if you knew what you were supposed to be looking for you would have more success.

>search bin 3 for white liquid
You search among the bottles, but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of them, all very much alike (though all exquisitely different, no doubt, once on the table). You stop searching, dispirited. Maybe if you knew what you were supposed to be looking for you would have more success.

>search bin 3 for white wine

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar, what did you mean when you said the red wine “seemed to work”? What was the game’s response?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

> search bin 4 for milk/virgin’s milk/white wine
> search bin 2 for milk/virgin’s milk/white wine

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

There’s something I think I remember from when I played.
At the Great Hall
>Look under big table
(or could be small table)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What if we ask professor whithersomething about Virgin’s Milk or show him the book, maybe he or someone knows how it looks like

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Wilderspin is still exploring the secret passage and we can’t get back there, but if you like I can restore to earlier and ask something.

Karlok - I’m willing to concede it MAY be the parser. But the response is correct - we simply don’t know what we’re looking for. How exactly do you find “virgin’s milk” among hundreds of bottles of wine? You can’t. It’s not going to be labelled “virgin’s milk”. And considering how clear it was made which honey we needed to get, I think we need more information.

Cellars (in the alcove)
The cellar is a cool refuge from the heat of the summer day outside. There are seven storage bins placed against the walls of the cellar, the shelves of each stacked from floor to ceiling with dusty bottles, and a gathering of dark shadows in one corner signifies an alcove.

There is a closed hatch in the ceiling, accessible by a ladder.

>search bin 4 for milk

>search bin 4 for virgin’s milk

>search bin 4 for white wine

>search bin 2 for milk

>search bin 2 for virgin’s milk

>search bin 2 for white wine

Great Hall

>look under low table
You find nothing of interest.

>look under high table
There’s a corkscrew under the high table. The revellers must have dropped it at the last meal.

>get corkscrew
(putting “Men of Biblioll” into the handbag to make room)
Taken.

>x corkscrew
You see nothing special about the corkscrew.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, at least we can open the bottle now…

Oscar - 12 March 2017 10:33 PM

Wilderspin is still exploring the secret passage and we can’t get back there, but if you like I can restore to earlier and ask something.

No need, it’s probably nothing.
Just don’t know why we can’t search by year. Bottle usually have them…
Besides the king thing, bin 3 name also checks with the year of the book

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

But why 1662? That is when he wrote the book, but the milk takes 5 years to mature. And I’m not sure how Tymme fits into this.

This part in Maclane about Heydon is also interesting: “He was the first to combine the offices of bursar and cellar, which he undertook from 1502, a joint office which survived for three centuries.”

Does that mean the bursar was also responsible for the cellar?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2017 11:03 PM

But why 1662? That is when he wrote the book, but the milk takes 5 years to mature. And I’m not sure how Tymme fits into this.

The making of the wine takes three years. That should be more important than the maturing, which is done in the bin. We’re waaaaaaaayyyyyy past the maturing date.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So for the sake of clarity, here’s what we’ve got. Correct me if I’m wrong.

1. Philalethes makes reddish powder (takes 3 years to create)
2. Adds to wine to mature for 5+ years (given to cellarer to stow in cellar)
3. After matured, this mixture forms Virgin’s Milk.
4. Writes book, published in 1662.
5. Tymme is bursar/cellarer during this time, up until 1670.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2017 11:12 PM

So for the sake of clarity, here’s what we’ve got. Correct me if I’m wrong.

1. Philalethes makes reddish powder (takes 3 years to create)
2. Adds to wine to mature for 5+ years (given to cellarer to stow in cellar)
3. After matured, this mixture forms Virgin’s Milk.
4. Writes book, published in 1662.
5. Tymme is bursar/cellarer during this time, up until 1670.

That’s it, that’s why it’s Tymme and has to be bin 3.
The different years could be important but we can’t check any

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>read introitus apertus
>look up Tymme in maclane
>look up 1662 in maclane

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hm. But hold on, Tymme died in 1670. The next guy, Farber, became burser in 1682. What happened in between?

>read introitus apertus
The book, by Eugenius Philalethes and dated 1662, is a long treatise on alchemy (the art of turning base metals into gold and silver by the action of a mysterious substance called the “Philosopher’s Stone”) and how the author intends to produce vast quantities of gold and destroy the evil system of money, so that “this prop and stay of the anti-Christ may come to naught”.

The bulk of the text is a long series of recipes, in which strange allegorical names like “Philosophic Mercury”, “the Dew of Hermes” and so on substitute for real chemicals.

Near the end of the book you discover the following passage:

“At the close of three years labour, performed with diligence, patience and good will, you will have a small quantity of a reddish powder, of a splendid vermillion, a deeper and fuller hue than cinnabar. Glorify God and be thankful!

“To form the Virgin’s Milk, which is the cause of prophetic dreams and mystic visions, dissolve the powder in a bottle of good wine, which you may give to your cellarer to put away so that it may mature in darkness over a space of at least five years.

“Afterwards, uncork the bottle carefully, and treat the Milk by the recipe described elsewhere, to possess the Elixir of Life. It is possible to further transform the Elixir into the Powder of Projection, but I will say no more herein.”

What a load of nonsense!

>look up tymme in maclane
Elias Tymme (1598-1670), bursar from 1640, guided the college through the difficult period of the Civil War, in which it “lent” one thousand pounds of silver to the King to support the war, and was taxed one hundred pounds a month to support the troops garrisoned there while Christminster was the King’s headquarters.

>look up 1662 in maclane
You can’t find anyone with that surname in the book.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top