• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 16 March 2017 09:58 AM
Oscar - 16 March 2017 09:39 AM

I still think most of the puzzles were competent and made up for the poor story.

You really think that? I mean, come on, REALLY?

Well, “made up” as in brought the game from “terrible” to “passable”. I’m a puzzler at heart!

So let’s have them. If you can be bothered to look up the bible and stuff, you can certainly give us the better endings. I just hope they’re not being arrested, killed, burned to death, caught spying, knocked unconscious, drinking the elixir.

Nah, can’t be bothered.  Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think the Elixir of Life puzzle was good, ciphers, looking up stuff in books, etc. Just way to get most ingredients was annoying, not to mention the bottles stuff.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 16 March 2017 10:11 AM

I think the Elixir of Life puzzle was good, ciphers, looking up stuff in books, etc. Just way to get most ingredients was annoying, not to mention the bottles stuff.

The very first puzzle with the key, the stone, the toffee, the feather, the parrot and the window was extremely annoying. The developer didn’t even TRY to make the solution plausible, he had to rely on a busker who has no reason to help us at all. Now that we’ve finished Christminster I admit that I agree one hundred percent with Kurufinwe’s criticism of the fireplace in Witherspoon’s quarters. Too stupid for words. Let’s face it, the game sucks majorly. The positive reviews are a mystery to me.

Hic!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 16 March 2017 10:20 AM

The very first puzzle with the key, the stone, the toffee, the feather, the parrot and the window was extremely annoying. The developer didn’t even TRY to make the solution plausible, he had to rely on a busker who has no reason to help us at all. Now that we’ve finished Christminster I admit that I agree one hundred percent with Kurufinwe’s criticism of the fireplace in Witherspoon’s quarters. Too stupid for words. Let’s face it, the game sucks majorly. The positive reviews are a mystery to me.

Hic!

Oh yes, that first puzzle was terrible and so was that parrot thing with Edward and the random secret passage stuff. The fireplace would work if there were clues in some place. The positive reviews are probably from people high on solving the message cipher Smile

What about Curses? Where does it fit in a scale from Christmister to Anchorhead?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Well, for what it’s worth, I’m glad that you guys managed to see this through. As much as I hate the game, it would have bothered me not to know how it ended.

And Oscar, I want to apologise for my tone on the day I left the playthrough. I was in a foul mood after being woken up at 6 AM on a Saturday by my stupid neighbours, but that doesn’t excuse my snapping at you. I’m sorry. Smile

However, I am not apologising for my opinions regarding the game: it is fucking awful.

I admit that I agree one hundred percent with Kurufinwe

I may have waited a decade to hear those words. I think I might print them out, frame them and hang them over my desk. Grin

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 16 March 2017 10:44 AM

What about Curses? Where does it fit in a scale from Christmister to Anchorhead?

Curses is a fantastic game, storywise and puzzlewise. Extremely long. There’s one big BUT. It is also extremely unforgiving. Miss an opportunity, forget to bring an object, don’t know how to solve a specific puzzle… and the game will punish you severely later. Sometimes even much later.

Kurufinwe - 16 March 2017 11:34 AM

I admit that I agree one hundred percent with Kurufinwe

I may have waited a decade to hear those words. I think I might print them out, frame them and hang them over my desk. Grin

Hic! Hic!

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Hic!

Yes, I’m afraid the game didn’t live up to my nostalgia from 20 years ago. Sorry! Still glad I finally finished it. Hope we can pick a more enjoyable game for us all next time.
Thanks Oscar!

About the busker and the policeman - everybody hates the piggies in the UK, especially street buskers.  Grin

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well, for what it’s worth, I’m glad that you guys managed to see this through. As much as I hate the game, it would have bothered me not to know how it ended.

And Oscar, I want to apologise for my tone on the day I left the playthrough. I was in a foul mood after being woken up at 6 AM on a Saturday by my stupid neighbours, but that doesn’t excuse my snapping at you. I’m sorry. Smile

Not a problem. I’ve not had the best of weeks either and it probably showed.

I hope you’ll join us next playthrough. Smile

Yes. Even though the game didn’t give us the best of reasons to perform it, the whole Elixir puzzle was good.

Why? Because WE made the elixir. We didn’t have a dialogue with an NPC or solve a ladder puzzle in order to get an unreachable book on a shelf, followed by Christabel saying “so… we need tears, honey, etc”. WE did the research on how to make it and put two and two together. And for a while… it was fun.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

BitingWit - 16 March 2017 05:46 PM

Yes, I’m afraid the game didn’t live up to my nostalgia from 20 years ago. Sorry!

Hey, no need to apologize! It’s certainly not your fault.

About the busker and the policeman - everybody hates the piggies in the UK, especially street buskers.  Grin

Even so, how could the busker know he would have to help us? We gave him a key. He didn’t see us steal it, he doesn’t know the don will appear and the cop will arrest us. Makes no sense. It’s real bad game design.

Oscar - 16 March 2017 06:51 PM

Not a problem. I’ve not had the best of weeks either and it probably showed.

I hope you’ll join us next playthrough. Smile

Great! Everybody’s bending over backwards to apologize and both of you owe ME an apology as well. For spoiling my fun in Goetia in my female protagonist quiz. No, I didn’t know until Oscar’s post. And then Kurufinwe just had to rub it in.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

High points in term of puzzle:
- Decrypting Malcom’s note
- Figuring out his note to do the Elixir of Life

Low point:
- everything related to that parrot
- the wine in the cave (the idea was not bad, but the implementation….)
- that dinner scene and the snails
- the busker and policeman

So, yes i agree with wilco and Oscar on the elixir. I feel that the game had a lot of wasted potential.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Karlok - 16 March 2017 09:25 PM

Great! Everybody’s bending over backwards to apologize and both of you owe ME an apology as well. For spoiling my fun in Goetia in my female protagonist quiz. No, I didn’t know until Oscar’s post. And then Kurufinwe just had to rub it in.

But, but, but… Someone was getting robbed of their fake internet points!!! How could I possibly let that stand??? Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top