• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalertrooneyzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m stumped. No bright ideas from me.

Where’s Kurufinwe when you need him…  Naughty

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

do we have that noble book?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Nope. It says “borrowed”, but no name. Do we need it though? Malcolm gave us the relevant lines from the poem.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

If there’s indeed another secret room, we should look up the architect mentioned in the bin descriptions. William Hawksmoor. Both in Maclane and the library.

Clutching at straws, I know…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 12 March 2017 12:01 PM

Nope. It says “borrowed”, but no name. Do we need it though? Malcolm gave us the relevant lines from the poem.

Probably not, a poem book wont help more, just going through previous stuff.
What about the new key? anything locked? should we search for the crypt or something?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, let’s. Not much else to do. But I’d expect a crypt near the chapel. And Hawksmoor is the architect who rebuilt the chapel.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>look up hawksmoor in maclane
Sir William Hawksmoor (1654-1702) was one of the most influential architects of the late seventeenth century and was probably responsible in some way for almost all of the college buildings built in Christminster during that period. He was commissioned to design the new chapel for Biblioll College, his outstanding design incorporating the stained glass from the old chapel.

Library
A vast room, filled with bookshelves from floor to ceiling: rows and rows of narrow dark stacks stretching away into the distance. There is a card index next to the door, which leads out to the north.

>look up hawksmoor in card index
You find the relevant place in the library: hidden deep in the farthest recesses of the book-stacks, over against the east side, on the lowest shelf. You tug on William Hawksmoor’s “Physiponomachia” and it pulls forward like a lever. With an ugly grinding sound a section of the wall swings aside, revealing a hole leading out of the library to the east. Without hesitating, you crawl through the hole, arriving in…

Small Courtyard
A small space enclosed on all sides: a college staircase to the north, the kitchens to the east, the library to the west, and a tall brick wall to the south. A rickety metal ladder ascends the building to the north, and ugly weeds grow all around.

A secret entrance to the library leads west.

There is a closed manhole in the centre of the courtyard.

[Your score has just gone up by one point.]

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Ok, I’ve finally caught up (was planning to be a more active participant but had some thing come up with work)...

> look up vau han or vauhan or vaughan in Maclane (that alchemist must have been a teacher there I’m guessing)

Not sure we can do much in the cellar, other than that, we need to find out about Daniel Pocock’s crypt… Not sure where the crypt is?

I have to say, that difficulty wise it seems to be about the same as Anchorhead but Anchorhead is better scripted in term of story.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

WOW!  Cool

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

giom - 12 March 2017 12:11 PM

I have to say, that difficulty wise it seems to be about the same as Anchorhead but Anchorhead is better scripted in term of story.

I was never really stuck in Anchorhead. This is much harder.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

giom - 12 March 2017 12:11 PM

> look up vau han or vauhan or vaughan in Maclane (that alchemist must have been a teacher there I’m guessing)

We did look him up, but only in maclane i think, not in the library.

I much prefer Anchorhead. Puzzlewise too.

> x ladder, manhole, weeds
> open manhole
> climb ladder

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

We looked up vau han in the library too.

>x ladder
You see nothing special about the ladder.

>x manhole
The cover is metal, and so old that its surface is peeling with rust. There is a keyhole to one side.

>x weeds
You don’t need to refer to that.

>open manhole
It seems to be locked.

>climb ladder

The Roof of “B” Staircase
You are on a narrow ledge on the roof of Biblioll College. Tiled roofs slope up to the east and west, and the ledge runs to the north. To the south, a metal ladder descends into an enclosed space between the college buildings.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Actually we looked up Vauhan in the library, not in Maclane (the advantage of reading 20 pages to catch up, I get to see the small details Smile)

Yeah, the story from Anchorhead is much better and leads the player so we weren’t aimless or lost like here. The puzzles of Anchorhead were also less adventury but, I feel that the puzzles from this game do make sense in hindsight and don’t seem that unfair.  That said, it’s easy to say for me when I just read your play through so far and didn’t actually solve any of the puzzles Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can the key be for the manhole? Anyway we should probanly walk the ledge

>n

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

giom - 12 March 2017 12:22 PM

Actually we looked up Vauhan in the library, not in Maclane (the advantage of reading 20 pages to catch up, I get to see the small details Smile)

Well spotted.

>look up vaughan in maclane
Thomas Vaughan (1622-66) fought for the Royalists in the Civil War and returned to Biblioll College to study alchemy. He wrote books under the name “Eugenius Philalethes”, and translated other alchemical and qabbalistic texts into English, including the Rosicrucian manifesto “Fama Fraternitatis”.

>n

Roof of the Master’s Lodgings
It’s cool and breezy up here on the tiles of the college, and you have an excellent but somewhat alarming view of First Court, and of the college flag flying above the Great Gate. You could attempt to descend the wistaria, or follow a narrow ledge to the south.

The elegant clock tower above the college chapel dominates the skyline to the north.

A fearsome stone gargoyle crouches by the gutter.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top