• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNelzazobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Does it matter which one? Have no idea, going to wait for the others

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I think we should look up all those names first. Frown

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I was looking behind and really don’t see any reference.

Karlok - 12 March 2017 09:09 AM

I think we should look up all those names first. Frown

That might be a good place to start
Maybe search the bins also

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>look up canynges in maclane
William Canynges (1435-1481) was cellarer of the college from 1472. He built the wine cellars underneath the Great Hall, and he inaugurated the custom of inscribing the cellarer’s name over any new bins added during his period of office, a practice which continues to this day.

>look up heydon in maclane
Thomas Heydon (d. 1512) helped to put Biblioll College on a sound footing after the poor management of the fifteenth century. He was able to increase the number of fellows to fourteen through the lease of small-holdings on college land granted by the Earl of Essex. He was the first to combine the offices of bursar and cellar, which he undertook from 1502, a joint office which survived for three centuries.

>look up tymme in maclane
Elias Tymme (1598-1670), bursar from 1640, guided the college through the difficult period of the Civil War, in which it “lent” one thousand pounds of silver to the King to support the war, and was taxed one hundred pounds a month to support the troops garrisoned there while Christminster was the King’s headquarters.

>look up farber in maclane
Edward Farber (1646-1695), bursar from 1682, was a good manager of money and a poor architect. He was able to raise more than five thousand pounds for the rebuilding of the chapel, and he had the good sense to hire the architect Sir William Hawksmoor to undertake the task, but it is understood that he was responsible for the ugly minaret at the top of the chapel tower.

>look up starkey in maclane
Bernard Starkey (1681-1757), bursar from 1737-1752 and Master from 1752 until his death, did much to restore the failing academic reputation of Biblioll College by instituting a fellowship based upon merit, to be decided by open competition between the candidates.

>look up mayow in maclane
Robert Mayow (1715-1770), bursar from 1752, managed to lose the college two thousand pounds, at a time when it badly needed additional finance, in a series of bungled land deals in Suffolk. In his favour, the glories of the gardens are mainly due to him.

>look up tausend in maclane
Francis Tausend (1722-1801), bursar from 1770 to 1782. Responsible for the enlargement of the Great Hall and the Senior Common Room. Joined the Whigs and served four years as member of Parliament for Christminster University before famously perishing in the House of Commons in the middle of a debate on foreign policy.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

“Second, make it bitter with the Bath of the King”?

>search the tymme bin
>take wine from third bin

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>search third bin
You search among the bottles, but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of them, all very much alike (though all exquisitely different, no doubt, once on the table). You stop searching, dispirited. Maybe if you knew what you were supposed to be looking for you would have more success.

>take wine from third bin
You can’t see any such thing.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Some info seems to be missing, I copied from precious posts to try to make sense

Lully 364

The first two are clear:
Arkwright 143 (honey of Egypt?)
John 11:43 (bath of King?)

Perhaps Simon Noble’s lines on Heliogabalus,

For I have wept more tears than e’er
The ancient sage did weep at man’s great folly…

are a clue to the third?

On page 364, you find a description of how to make the “Elixir of Life” (assuming that one starts out with a quantity of the “Spittle of Lune”, whatever that might be). It reads:
“Be of good heart, and pray to God for guidance in the Work. Take thou the Spittle, and in a glass retort heat it continually. First, make it sweet with the Sap of the Wood of Hermes, that is named also the Honey of the Egyptians. Second, make it bitter with the Bath of the King. Third, make it salt with the Water of the Sages, for thou desirest the spiritual elements to rise and the terrestrial elements to sink.”

Page 143 contains a description of how Akhenaten discontinued the Osiris ritual, a yearly religious observance in which the god Osiris (sometimes identified with Sethos, who represented the dead and deified ancestors of the Pharaoh) was purified, anointed and offered honey by the king.

John 11:43 reads, “Et haec cum dixisset, posuit vinum myrrheum labiis Lazari, et voce magna clamavit, Lazare, ite foras.” Isn’t Latin a beautiful language, even if you don’t understand a word of it? But what could Malcolm possibly have meant by referring you to this verse?

Also, did we ask Wilderspin (or what is his name) about wine?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hey, I googled “spittle of lune” and draw the wrong conlusion. Why didn’t anybody tell me I was wrong about the tears… Oh well, so we don’t have any “spittle of lune” yet. Can we look it up in the library, did we already try that? Don’t remember. We should also ask our friend Witherspoon about it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 12 March 2017 10:41 AM

Hey, I googled “spittle of lune” and draw the wrong conlusion. Why didn’t anybody tell me I was wrong about the tears… Oh well, so we don’t have any “spittle of lune” yet. Can we look it up in the library, did we already try that? Don’t remember. We should also ask our friend Witherspoon about it.

but we the got the tears, thought that was the right track. If we can search spittle in the library maybe the rest is also possible like the bath of the kings and the rest

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 12 March 2017 10:41 AM

Not sure what you mean…

>look up spittle of lune in card index
Try looking up a surname in the card index.

>ask wilderspin about spittle of lune
Wilderspin ignores you and gets on with his marking.

>ask wilderspin about wine
Wilderspin ignores you and gets on with his marking.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>look up spittle of lune in library?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

We have the Honey of Egypt to make the “spittle of lune” sweet. The Bath of King to make the spittle bitter must be the myrrh because the word myrrh means bitter. The Water of Sages should make the spittle salt and tears are salty.  So the wine must be the spittle of lune? I find it all very confusing.

PS: And once we’ve heated this concoction we should be able to wake Lazarus from the dead. I sure hope that isn’t our dear brother.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

wilco - 12 March 2017 11:36 AM

The library works by surnames only.

I would consider the possibility we haven’t found what we’re looking for yet. We don’t even have a way out of the cellar, assuming we find the correct wine.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 12 March 2017 11:45 AM
wilco - 12 March 2017 11:36 AM

The library works by surnames only.

I would consider the possibility we haven’t found what we’re looking for yet. We don’t even have a way out of the cellar, assuming we find the correct wine.

Maybe the cook comes down or something if we get the correct wine, we could also try to open the hatch or knock on it but we do have to get the right one first

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Maybe. Or if the wine bottle activates a secret passage to somewhere else, like the crypt.

It’s just that the game kind of suggests we don’t know what we’re looking for, when we search the bins.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top