• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiegrizzlypantsNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #7: Christminster

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>x widget
>eat lobster

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>x widget
It is a U-shaped piece of metal. A screw runs through holes in the ends, connecting them together.

There is quiet for a while as everyone tucks in, and then the pitch of the conversation rises again.

>eat lobster
Alas, the thick shell of the lobster is perfectly adequate to protect it from your feeble attempts to eat it.

“I had the most horrible of experiences this morning,” says Halfhide. “I was thinking about some particularly knotty problem while sunning myself on the Green, and I suppose I must have dropped off to sleep.”

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>take widget
>eat lobster with widget
>burp

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>put widget on lobster
You slide the widget until it encircles the lobster.

Halfhide harrumphs and continues, “The police officer insisted on taking me to the police station and questioning me for an hour. What is the world coming to when a fellow of the college can’t have a decent and peaceful nap of a Sunday morning?”

There are general murmurs of sympathy from the assembled fellows about the over-zealousness of the local constabulary and how scholars aren’t treated with enough respect.

>turn widget
You turn the screw, and the widget clamps onto the lobster. Relentlessly, you keep on turning until the lobster’s shell snaps with a loud crack. A rich smell comes from the lobster’s innards. Success!

“You!” says Halfhide, suddenly turning and looking at you closely for the first time. “It was you who took my key this morning. How could you?”

“But I didn’t do it,” you insist, glad that you’re not still carrying the brass key. You smile sweetly and innocently at Halfhide, and gradually he calms down and harrumphs, and finally admits that he might have been wrong, and he might have lost his key in the long grass. You breathe a silent sigh of relief.

>eat lobster
To your surprise, the lobster is excellent.

A waiter arrives and clears away the detritus from the first course, and other waiters arrive and deposit the second course in front of you.

[Your score has just gone up by one point.]

>burp
That’s not a verb I recognise.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

> ask Halfhide about feather
> ask Jarboe about crypt
> ask Bungay about crypt

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>ask halfhide about feather
Your words are lost in the hubbub of the dinner, and he doesn’t seem to hear you.

“I hope you like it,” the Master confides in you. “Our new French chef is very gung-ho about the traditional French cuisine.”

>ask jarboe about crypt
Your words are lost in the hubbub of the dinner, and he doesn’t seem to hear you.

Wilderspin says, “Let me tell you about a discovery I made today. That is, I should say, a discovery that Miss Spencer made today, for it was she who discovered the entrance from my study into the secret passage.”

>ask bungay about crypt

“That’s right,” continues Wilderspin. “the old rumours are true, Henry Garton did put secret passages into B staircase and the library when he built them. I think it’s a wonder that nobody ever surveyed the buildings and noticed the extra three or four feet of width.”

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

>drink
>look at food
>eat food

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>l

Great Hall
A grand room with a vaulted ceiling far above your head, echoing with the loud conversation of twenty fellows sitting around the high table and maybe sixty students on the low table.

Sitting near you around the high table you can see Wilderspin (to your left), the Master (to your right), Jarboe, Bungay, and Halfhide.

Displayed prominently on High Table is the College’s collection of plate.

You can also see a fork, a knife, a glass (in which is some wine) and a china plate (on which is a snail) here.

Wilderspin says, “I think the secret chamber was probably intended as a priest-hole; Biblioll College was at that time staunchly Catholic in despite of the prevailing religious feeling in England.”

>drink wine
You drink a little of the white wine, and it is very pleasant. But no sooner have you put your glass down than it is re-filled.

“I don’t know if it was ever put to its purpose,” muses Wilderspin, “because the body we found there, which I am sure must date from the late seventeenth century, although I won’t know until I go back with the experts and do a proper dating, is not a Catholic priest hiding from Puritan religious persecution, but an alchemist!”

>look at plate
Which do you mean, the china plate or the collection of gold plate?

>china
You see nothing special about the china plate.

Wilderspin says, “Perhaps he was afraid of being denounced as a witch, or perhaps he just wanted to keep his researches secret from his rivals. He probably died from mercury poisoning, no doubt exacerbated by the lack of ventilation in that tiny laboratory.”

>eat snail
The snail retreats into its shell and grips the plate firmly, and you are unable to get at it. Now if you could turn it over so that its soft parts were exposed, maybe the odds would be more in your favour.

“That’s amazing,” says the Master. “Stuck there between B staircase and the library for hundreds of years, and no-one noticed. I wonder what other secret passages there might be hidden in those old buildings?”

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

People! Dining when I left, still dining when I return. Tsk…
Are we eating LIVE snails? Sick

> turn snail with fork
> get fork, knife, glass

I won’t touch the snail, I’ll leave it for someone else. Wilco perhaps?  Innocent
But I don’t even know what Jarboe and Bungey look like… the >z commands should be put to a better use.

> x jarboe
> x bungey

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Can we get drunk?

repeatedly drink wine

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>get fork
Taken.

“I wonder if I might inquire as to whether anyone here has read the latest University Journal?” interrupts Bungay, but the Master is not so easily distracted from his line of thought.

“Secret passages, ha!” he laughs. “That sounds like something that what’s his name, the seventeenth-century Master, Lancaster’s cousin, might have easily been involved in.”

>turn snail with fork
The snail grips the plate firmly and you are unable to budge it.

“Now the Journal -” tries Bungay again, but the Master continues as though he hasn’t heard. “Conspiring against his own Fellows, persistent rumours of being a witch and a heretic - secret passages would have been all in a day’s work to him!

>get knife
Taken.

“What was it you were about to say about the Journal?” the Master asks Bungay, but the later mutters that it wasn’t important and everyone present had probably read it anyway.

>get glass
Taken.

>x jarboe
Jarboe is a tall, gaunt man, with thin, ungainly limbs and a long sharp nose. His suit hangs loosely from his narrow shoulders.

Everyone is politely not looking at you, but you can tell that they’re waiting for you to finish with your food before the next course can start.

>x bungay
Bungay is a short man, at five feet and two inches a little shorter than yourself, but his vast bulk more than makes up for his lack of height. His clothes are all but bursting at the seams.

Bungay mutters something to Jarboe, but you are unable to catch what he says.

>drink wine
You drink a little of the white wine, and it is very pleasant. But no sooner have you put your glass down than it is re-filled.

Halfhide reminisces about his exploits in North Africa with Monty.

>drink wine

Jarboe talks about the plans to expand the mathematical syllabus.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

> kill snail
> kill snail with knife
> get snail
> give it to witherspin, jarboe, anybody
> ask master about snail
> get all Naughty

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>kill snail
The snail’s shell is proof against your feeble attack Now if you could turn it over so that its soft parts were exposed, maybe the odds would be more in your favour.

Halfhide compliments the Master on the excellent quality of the food.

>kill snail with knife
The snail’s shell is proof against your feeble attack Now if you could turn it over so that its soft parts were exposed, maybe the odds would be more in your favour.

The Master complains about the declining standard of undergraduate entrants to the college.

>get snail
The snail glues itself firmly to the plate and you cannot budge it.

Everyone is politely not looking at you, but you can tell that they’re waiting for you to finish with your food before the next course can start.

>give snail to witherspin
You can only do that to something animate.

>ask master about snail

>get all
collection of gold plate: You’re a guest here, and it isn’t polite to steal your host’s valuables.
china plate: It is rude to pick up your plate.

You guys are THE WORST!!! Remind me never to invite any of you over for dinner. Tongue

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

> turn over snail
> kill snail
> eat snail

sidenote, cooked snails are delicious but I have a lot of doubts about live snails

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

>turn over snail
The snail grips the plate firmly and you are unable to budge it.

>kill snail

Wilderspin talks about his plans to put together funding for an expedition to Aswan. The Master wonders if that wouldn’t be a bit dangerous at the moment, given the international situation.

>eat snail
The snail retreats into its shell and grips the plate firmly, and you are unable to get at it. Now if you could turn it over so that its soft parts were exposed, maybe the odds would be more in your favour.

Jarboe talks about the plans to expand the mathematical syllabus.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top