• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

mart - 26 August 2015 11:18 AM

The referral to the death of Helena Romanski in the newspaper.

Lets not forget the other article to the right, the one about our old friend Boris’s space flight Grin
The headline says “A Siberian Comet” and it is described as an unknown flying object, but we all know what they have seen don’t we?

SoccerDude28 - 25 August 2015 01:04 PM

I also like how Sokal in several of his games has a journal that describes more about the setting and the place. Not only that, but it is also used for puzzle solving .

I agree, I also really liked reading the journal.
And it also contains a whole bunch of hints for puzzles that you will need to solve later in the game, so remember everybody the journal is not only a journal but also your hintbook!

TimovieMan - 25 August 2015 06:36 AM

But I’m really loving the youki. Cool

It’s also funny that they’re calling it a mix between a seal and a dog. The Dutch word for the common (earless) seal is ‘zeehond’, which literally means ‘sea dog’. The youki is the closest thing to an actual ‘sea dog’ I’ve ever seen. Grin
And he’s cute as a button. Innocent
I want one. Tongue

Also being described as a cross between seal and bear - with a big dose of pig too, a bag of swill, a fat critter and a jelly-pig-hog, well at least that is how Cirkos describes him Grin

Anyway I am impressed by the youki, not only is it able to provide enough muscle to propel a steel gangcar that must weigh several hundreds kilo, not counting the weigh of Kate and the youki itself, but it is also able to do so at a speed fast enough to catch up with a train that has about an hours head start Grin

rtrooney - 26 August 2015 03:16 PM

I decided that wasn’t where I was supposed to stop, so I moved forward another two or three moves and found the screenshot that Izno posted. And here I thought I was doing the right thing by stopping at the forest.  Naughty

You are right, I thought the screenshot was from the very beginning of the forest, but it is actually 2-3 screens later, a small mistake on my part. My point was still that you should stop as soon as you got to the forest, but a few steps into the forest doesn’t really make any difference.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

mart - 27 August 2015 04:59 PM

@Iznogood:  I don’t think we “exaggerate” or “overlook” things; we just have a different opinion. I think Becky depicted the Patriarch very well (as did the graphic designers). Innocent

Well no one else had mentioned this, so I don’t think it was unfair to assume or suggest that you might not have noticed it. And “You are both wrong, or at least exaggerating Wink” is just my way of saying that I interpret it a bit different, and more important a follow up on Becky’s “Please tell me I’m wrong!”

I don’t disagree that the Patriarch is a fanatical demagogue or a despicable person, just that his motives for not helping Hans, are not as clear cut as Becky’s description.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Yeah, I never saw the Patriarch did not want to help Hans, it’s just that for him (which is true) Hans is a sick man who is dying and according to their customs and procedures (monks) there is not much to do about it , ok ... Kate could “improve” Hans condition momentarily!, but as Iz rightly pointed, Hans still sick and dying.

[spoiler]Furthermore let’s not forget that it is a monastery, completely away from the modern world and which have other ways to resolve certain complications, but that does not mean they have not wanted cure Hans at all.(if they had been able to cure him, they would have done it. imo.[/spoiler]

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 27 August 2015 05:20 PM

I don’t disagree that the Patriarch is a fanatical demagogue or a despicable person, just that his motives for not helping Hans, are not as clear cut as Becky’s description.

I tend to agree with you on this. The Patriarch is, I assume, a Russian Orthodox Christian. The monastery is remotely located, and has probably been removed from contact with the “real” world for decades, if not centuries. So the Repent/Absolution/Salvation/Death mentality isn’t strange if you are living in the 1700s. But it is abhorrent to the observer, both Kate and us, who happen to be experienced in the modern world. The Patriarch may simply not know any better.

Edit: It isn’t as if the Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches have made a whole lot of progress bringing their respective congregations into the 21st Century.

Re-Edit: The one problem I have with all I just said is that the monastery MUST have had some contact with Hans in the past. The elevator is certainly a Voralburg design. So why treat Hans as if he were an unknown entity?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I do, however adore the Youki, for this game little things like this make the game a standout from the run of the mill adventure games. The change of scenery to the cold forested areas of Russia and the monestary I actually enjoy. So - some good, some bad with the 2nd Syberia game. After this play through I’ll be ready for Syberia 3 when that gets released.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 27 August 2015 09:15 PM

Re-Edit: The one problem I have with all I just said is that the monastery MUST have had some contact with Hans in the past. The elevator is certainly a Voralburg design. So why treat Hans as if he were an unknown entity?

Is it a Voralberg design? I did not think it was one (Usually his creations involve automatons), though you might be right, I’m not sure.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Iznogood - 27 August 2015 05:20 PM
mart - 27 August 2015 04:59 PM

@Iznogood:  I don’t think we “exaggerate” or “overlook” things; we just have a different opinion. I think Becky depicted the Patriarch very well (as did the graphic designers). Innocent

Interesting though that by assuming things you conclude that other people are wrong. But I know, there are believers and there are - supposedly - authoratative interpretations.
A least we seem to agree the creature is a madman. Hard to differ about that, when one sees how he looks and behaves (Sefir’s nice pics).
People always differ about other peoples motives, and when A calls X a bad guy, and B calls him a kind person, the former will probably think B is naive or an idiot, and the latter will think A is paranoid or - perhaps - just jealous.

But is quite legitimate to attribute different motives to the man, without such or similar qualifications. With Becky I think that there are quite some clues in the game that indicate the Patriarch is a sinister person, who shouldn’t be “believed” at all, but instead should be severly distrusted (from Malka’s story till the moment where he tries to prevent that Hans escapes).

But fortunately, Hans is cured (beautiful find again: those mammoth shadows on the wall) and saved, and we are only confronted with a “minor” problem (two common criminals). Content
(Edited)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 28 August 2015 01:16 AM

Is it a Voralberg design? I did not think it was one (Usually his creations involve automatons), though you might be right, I’m not sure.

The only mechanical devices currently in the city, (the train, the railroad, the dancing horses, the tram car,) were created by Hans. I think it is a logical assumption that he created the elevator as well. I doubt the monks had the wherewithal to build it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

mart - 28 August 2015 01:56 AM

Interesting though that by assuming things you conclude that other people are wrong. But I know, there are believers and there are - supposedly - authoratative interpretations.

Becky: Please tell me I’m wrong!
Mart: No, I think you are spot on
Iznogood: You are both wrong Wink

You are reading way too much into this - Becky pleaded someone to tell her that she was wrong, and I complied!
There is absolutely nothing more to the wording then that.

rtrooney - 28 August 2015 10:52 AM
SoccerDude28 - 28 August 2015 01:16 AM

The only mechanical devices currently in the city, (the train, the railroad, the dancing horses, the tram car,) were created by Hans. I think it is a logical assumption that he created the elevator as well. I doubt the monks had the wherewithal to build it.

I don’t think the gangcar was created by Hans, neither do I think that the coal loading machine was made by him as it used gas instead of mechanics. The winding mechanism and the dancing horses are obviously his creation, and as for the railroad, then he might have had a finger in why it goes in this direction, and the last part of the railroad is obviously his doing, but the railroad is also used for other trains and are part of the common railroad net.
As for the elevator, then it can be either way. It does look similar to the elevator in Valadilene, but at the same time not like a typical Hans design.
But none of it is explicitly stated, so that is just my take on it Wink

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Iznogood - 28 August 2015 02:43 PM
mart - 28 August 2015 01:56 AM

Becky: Please tell me I’m wrong!
Mart: No, I think you are spot on
Iznogood: You are both wrong Wink

You are reading way too much into this - Becky pleaded someone to tell her that she was wrong, and I complied!
There is absolutely nothing more to the wording then that.

What a strange way of reasoning again, but I will let it rest.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Regarding the Patriarch: I agree that he [spoiler]truly wants to help, but once Kate - a mere woman to the Patriarch - cures Hans in his stead, and uses heathen methods to do so, he switches to the ultimate fanatic who feels that Hans should have died there and should still do so because he doesn’t want to accept the method of his cure, nor the person who administered it[/spoiler]. Makes for some great foreshadowing, though: the only way Hans is going to leave the monastery is indeed in a box. Smile

As for the elevator, throughout both games there have been a lot of mechanical devices that Hans didn’t have a hand in. In fact, even without the automatons, the Syberia games feel as steampunk as you can get without actually being steampunk. So it’s no surprise that the monastery should have a mechanical device as well. Doesn’t mean it has to be made by Hans at all…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Except for the fact that Hans has been to Romansburg before. Plus, the monks lack any other mechanical devices. Bell ringers? Grave diggers? Where are the devices that would have been used to construct the elevator? Machine shops? Foundries? All the kinds of things that would be readily available to Hans via his factory.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@ Timovieman: Great that you mention it (the box), for it is another beautiful detail and in a way quite funny. Apparently the Patriarch is convinced that Hans dies (as some pessimists here do as well Tongue) or should die, so they prepare the grave and put an open box besides it. Ready for lift-off!  And his rage is - also - explicable when they dare to use his ‘deadly trap’ to escape. 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 28 August 2015 06:48 PM

Except for the fact that Hans has been to Romansburg before. Plus, the monks lack any other mechanical devices. Bell ringers? Grave diggers? Where are the devices that would have been used to construct the elevator? Machine shops? Foundries? All the kinds of things that would be readily available to Hans via his factory.

The monks don’t really need any other mechanical devices besides the elevator, so why would a conservative bunch like that use more “new” things than they really need?
Also, this takes places in Russia, in a town with access to a railroad. Everything could have been made in Komkolzgrad and transported to Romansburg by train. No need for Hans to be involved.

Plus, I really don’t think the track switcher and hamster youki wheel gangcar were Voralberg designs either…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, seems like Hans is a very well traveled guy. It’s as if the ONLY place Hans has not been is Syberia and that is why now he wants to go there.

Now, the question is, has Hans been there before also? And if he has merely wants to return there as his final resting place? I would vote for the later being true over the former.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top