• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 09 September 2015 12:50 PM

Safe back on the ground again.

She looks like she’s gonna hurl in that screenshot. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Before the crash, I made a circuit of the village. Found a few inventory items, but not much else. I remember there being a lot more, but perhaps that was on the other side of the drums, or another village location I don’t have access to yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sadly, I completed the part of the game that ends Oscar as a character. It was very sad seeing him go.The first time I played this game I found this to be quite shocking.

I am now at the point of the game with the Penguins and will stop here. Thanks for posting all the beautiful pictures of the game - it shows how lovely it is.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Mikekelly - 10 September 2015 11:36 PM

Sadly, I completed the part of the game that ends Oscar as a character. It was very sad seeing him go.The first time I played this game I found this to be quite shocking.

Heart

Oddly enough, I completely forgot that he died in my first playthrough years ago. That is such a huge moment, so I wonder how I could forget it. On the flips side, I was super shocked and sad again which is kinda nice to experience these emotions, when you are not expecting them.

Total Posts: 2992

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

SoccerDude28 - 11 September 2015 01:09 AM
Mikekelly - 10 September 2015 11:36 PM

Heart

Oddly enough, I completely forgot that he died in my first playthrough years ago. That is such a huge moment, so I wonder how I could forget it. On the flips side, I was super shocked and sad again which is kinda nice to experience these emotions, when you are not expecting them.

Am I the only one who completely hate Hans for that? I hold him the one and only responsible for Oscar’s death. Remember what is the difference between a robot and an automaton? Automatons have their own “soul”. Especially Oscar, who has his own human-level intelligence and self-awareness. So Hans created such an automaton and gave him a special function that he (Oscar) can go kill himself in order to make Hans go forward. I repeat: Hans chose to have a failsafe (that he could have possibly achieved by many other non-leathal ways, f.e. a simple device stored in the train) where the death of a being (a metalic one, but a being nonetheless),  saves his sorry ass. The fact that he was his creator doesn’t make it an excuse. It makes it even more tragic, like saying a father that chooses the death of his son over his own. This is murder in my eyes. It is completely unforgivable, made me completely not interested to continue following the dream of that deranged lunatic and keep hoping that Syberia 3 will start its intro by having Hans getting pulverized by a mammoth.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

He he, [spoiler]I think that as far as Hans is concerned Oscar is a simple device stored in the train. Oscar is in his eyes, a tool that he created in order to reach his goal, and nothing more than that.[/spoiler]

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I recall being heartbroken when Oscar “died.” But I do agree with Izno. That is (at least one of) the functions that Oscar was designed and built to perform. While I think it is easy to despise Hans for this, it’s like despising a ten year old. Even though he is a very smart ten year old, Hans’ emotional capabilities stopped developing when he fell from the rock in S1. As a ten year old it is very difficult for me to hold him accountable for his emotional shortcomings.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, that’s something I never considered, that Oscar was designed for this purpose from the beginning and it was going to happen. Still, it was sad to see him go.

At this point in the game - I have to say I found Syberia 2 to be just as good an adventure as Syberia 1.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just an update on my status: I’m currently in the dream sequence. Loved the cutscene that lead up to it.

Spent a lot of time needlessly running around to get a fresh can of water for the berry puzzle that ultimately proved unnecessary. Really liked the puzzle, though.
Also liked the bombastic music that played right after solving that. Made me think something was going to happen right then and there. Tongue

I like the revisiting of some of the first game’s locations for the dream sequence. Curious to see where this will lead me next.

Deadline is Tuesday, right?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

WTF???

NOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!

Oscar!!!!
Damnit, Hans, if you’re going to just use him like a tool, why did you give him a soul?
Not cool! Frown

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 13 September 2015 04:09 PM

Deadline is Tuesday, right?

Right!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Found meself some penguins.
One thing puzzles me about this part:

When Kate tells Oscar what Hans has said about his heart Oscar immediately strolls off. All well and good but how does he know where to go? Kate didn’t tell him anything and, up to that point, Oscar was always telling Kate to hurry up and find Hans. Perhaps Hans, in his dream state, could call to Oscar through his recently added mobile phone device thing.

No screenshots from me until after Iznogood allows us to move on.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Reached the penguins.
And seeing as how they’re in the wrong hemisphere, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore. Tongue

SoccerDude28 - 08 September 2015 11:41 PM

Thanks for the hint Smile Another one of those pesky hotspots Frown

Hehe, only noticed it on my second scan of that screen as well. Good thing I started there, and didn’t do the 50 other screens in the section first… Tongue

Iznogood - 09 September 2015 10:46 AM

I just checked, and I forgot to pick up the fishbone!
I am however fairly certain that I will get a chance to pick up another in this part. As for the doll, I don’t know, but I’m 100% sure that there aren’t any dead ends!

I noticed the fishbone near the youki pen. It probably wasn’t a hotspot for me because I had the other one in my inventory…

Iznogood - 11 September 2015 10:03 AM

He he, [spoiler]I think that as far as Hans is concerned Oscar is a simple device stored in the train. Oscar is in his eyes, a tool that he created in order to reach his goal, and nothing more than that.[/spoiler]

I agree with this, but you have to admit that it’s a dick move to make.

It’s definitely a reason to be angry at Hans, but given his situation, you can’t really hate him as he doesn’t view Oscar in the same manner that we do.
He doesn’t fully grasp the emotional impact of his actions, and he also hasn’t gotten to know Oscar the way we have, since he only travelled a small time with him

The entire thing just seems even worse for us because of Oscar’s reluctant compliance, imo.

Good section this, but very large, lots of running back-and-forth. I really liked the berry puzzle, and I love the moments where the music turns into something resembling a mammoth’s call followed by indigenous chanting and bombastic sounds - very ominous.

I’m a bit baffled by the latest New York cutscene. Now it seems that the chase is off and we’re completely done with New York, and they’re done with us. If that’s really the case, then why were they included in the game at all? It seems so pointless - filler that has NOTHING to do with the rest of our journey (at least not in this second game)...

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 14 September 2015 05:37 PM

but you have to admit that it’s a dick move to make.

It’s definitely a reason to be [spoiler]angry at Hans, but given his situation, you can’t really hate him as he doesn’t view Oscar in the same manner that we do.
He doesn’t fully grasp the emotional impact of his actions.

Totally disagree. You either didn’t read my post, or decided to ignore it. Hans is not capable of empathy, sympathy, et al, and hasn’t been since he fell from the rock.

So it’s NOT a Dick move. It’s exactly what you would expect from an individual who’s emotional growth was stunted at a very early age.

EDIT: There’s a chance I will have the game reloaded by Wednesday. Whether I will be able to reload the saved games is questionable. I may call on someone to PM me a saved game from where the next sequence starts.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2992

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 14 September 2015 05:37 PM

I’m a bit baffled by the latest New York cutscene. Now it seems that the chase is off and we’re completely done with New York, and they’re done with us. If that’s really the case, then why were they included in the game at all? It seems so pointless - filler that has NOTHING to do with the rest of our journey (at least not in this second game)...

Yep!! I forgot to write about this earlier. Seems that the NY cutscenes were nothing more than a pointless filler.

rtrooney - 14 September 2015 08:50 PM

So it’s NOT a Dick move. It’s exactly what you would expect from an individual who’s emotional growth was stunted at a very early age.

Heavily disagree. I agree with TimovieMan in this being a dick move. I don’t see any “stunted emotional growth”. He is passionate enough when he is talking about mammoths. He is also perfectly capable of working with other people (like he did for the soviets in the first game) thus he is more mature than an average 10-year old kid. In my eyes Hans is either mature enough to understand AT LEAST the consequences of his actions, or Kate Walker should NOT have helped him in his journey at all . She should have taken him in a clinic instead.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top