• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

OOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@ Jabod: Apart from the suggested symbolism I believe it is indeed right that the explanation is that Hans stopped growing after his fall in the cave (I thought I read that in the first part/cp but I may be mistaken).

I didn’t worry about Kate’s change but I remember I did worry about the fact that the train had changed in the sequel. Fortunately all inventory items, including the signed contract, were destroyed. ;-)

Many beautiful details and finds in this episode, besides the exceptional graphics (perspectives) and strong characters. Had (e.g.) to laugh again about all those - useless - posters in the village (though not completely useless, as they may be seen as a visual clue for one of the puzzles); especially when the man pops up to add even more posters.

The episode in the monastery is nicely prepared with Malka’s story and the - also symbolic - use of the shroud. And of course by the mad monk outside the monastery (with his hysterical laughs and “white raven”). Wondered here about one the small conversation flaws, as it is hard to believe that a lawyer doesn’t understand a phrase like “dura lex, sed lex.”

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Re: the candy machine puzzle.

Iznogood - 21 August 2015 02:32 PM

1) You might have noticed that the coins are all from different countries all over the world.
2) [spoiler]We need some Canadian Honey Katalas and some Asian Fish Candy.[/spoiler]
3) Need I say more?
Use the Canadian (looking?) coin with the caribou for the Canadian candy, and the Asian (Chinese?) coin for the fish candy.

I don’t know if anyone has actually ever solved it purely by using the clues, but the clues are nevertheless still there.

So the player is supposed to intuit that the company that produces these candy machines purposely sends them all over the world knowing that the candy machine with Canadian-inspired candy will only use Canadian currency, while the candy machine with Asian-inspired candy will only use Asian currency? Absolutely absurd.

And this is known for being an “easy” game?

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 22 August 2015 11:03 AM

Re: the candy machine puzzle.

Iznogood - 21 August 2015 02:32 PM

1) You might have noticed that the coins are all from different countries all over the world.
2) [spoiler]We need some Canadian Honey Katalas and some Asian Fish Candy.[/spoiler]
3) Need I say more?
Use the Canadian (looking?) coin with the caribou for the Canadian candy, and the Asian (Chinese?) coin for the fish candy.

I don’t know if anyone has actually ever solved it purely by using the clues, but the clues are nevertheless still there.

So the player is supposed to intuit that the company that produces these candy machines purposely sends them all over the world knowing that the candy machine with Canadian-inspired candy will only use Canadian currency, while the candy machine with Asian-inspired candy will only use Asian currency? Absolutely absurd.

And all this assumes you made the phone call before you solved the candy machine puzzle. Which I didn’t. So the clues were meaningless.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

A bit absurd perhaps, but the fact that emptying the third machine gives you coins from all over the world actually tells a small story on its own. Obviously out here in the wilderness thousands of kilometres from civilization, they aren’t too concerned about which currency they use, technically they should be using Russian currency but money is money no matter where it comes from.
Come to think about it, Kate also paid with American dollars in the first game, even though it wasn’t the currency of the country she was in.

rtrooney - 22 August 2015 11:27 AM

And all this assumes you made the phone call before you solved the candy machine puzzle. Which I didn’t. So the clues were meaningless.

That is actually what I like about this puzzle.
You can relatively easy and fast solve the puzzle simply by using trial & error, either because you haven’t found the clues yet, or simply because the clues are so subtle that you don’t see the connection. OR you can use the clues and deduce the solution without any trial & error, but this is really more a bonus thing. You can give yourself a little pad on the shoulder and congratulate yourself for being clever enough to notice all the clues and making the correct deductions, but it is not required.

Similar with the bird call puzzle, and at least two more puzzles later in the game.
There are always clues to the correct solution, no matter how subtle they might be, but using them is optional and you can also solve the puzzles purely by trial & error.

P.S.

Personally I actually consider Syberia 2 a bit more difficult than the first game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, finally made it to the stopping point. It is surprising how much I don’t recall from the first time I played this game when it was first released - almost as good as playing a game for the first time.

It is nice to see kate in a new outfit, and some of the puzzles are actually fun to solve. Well, took us a fair amount of time to get to this CP after the playthrough of Syberia 1, but it was worth the wait.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Some more screenshots from the first part:

Daydreaming

I’m impressed that she can even get a mobile signal out here in the middle of nowhere, especially since I haven’t seen a single mobile mast - Perhaps Hans have improved our phone.

The station.

I probably shouldn’t post this screenshot as it is slightly spoilerish, but I believe everybody have already done this scene.

A hard boiled New York detective send on Kate’s trail, I hope that he won’t cause us too many problems Wink

I wonder if perhaps Kate will end up adopting Malka?
Not completely inconceivable as we know that she also has to get back, but I guess we will have to wait until Syberia 3 to answer that question. 

The Bourgoff Brothers.

The Cirkos is in town!

Better get some warmer clothes.

And it even looks good Wink

Sound like the beginning of a joke.

The monastery.

Women are not welcome.

Take a wild guess Wink

P.S. Sorry if I went a bit overboard with the amount of screenshots.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Part 2: Winter Olympics

I believe most (but not all) have completed the first part, so I don’t think there is any point in delaying it - It is time to continue Kate’s adventure.

In the last part Hans fell ill, and will most likely die before he get to see his beloved Mammoths, unless we immediately get him some medical attention. Fortunately the monks at the monastery know a bit about medicine, so all we have to do now is simply to convince the Patriarch to accept Hans as a patient, wait until he is back on his feet, and we can continue our journey.

You have one week until Sunday evening the 30th of August (cet) to complete this part, and you should stop as soon as you get to the forest.

Stop here!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This is about the part where I left off the last time, so I’ll be looking to join in in the next few days…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 21 August 2015 05:21 AM

Secondly, scrolling screens.

I agree that this is annoying. It was annoying in the first game as well. The biggest issue I had with that was probably in the second Simon the Sorcerer game where I was stuck for a LONG time before I figured out the main map scrolled as well.

Here it’s making me run to every corner of every screen just in case it scrolls.
I wish the scrolling screens had an arrow indicating it…

Becky - 21 August 2015 12:37 PM

Versus the harsh reality of New York

I’m actually disliking this part. It feels like forced antagonism. I don’t think this game needs an antagonist, least of all one from New York. Kate broke with her past at the end of the first game, and that should have been the end of everything New York-related, imo…

Becky - 21 August 2015 12:37 PM

One of my favorite views is below

I like the way the mountains merge with the monastery, contrasting with the curves of the train.

My first thought was “why are those mountains shaped like the Kremlin?”. Grin

We reach the monastery quickly, considering how far it looks in that shot. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

TimovieMan - 23 August 2015 03:05 PM

I’m actually disliking this part. It feels like forced antagonism. I don’t think this game needs an antagonist, least of all one from New York. Kate broke with her past at the end of the first game, and that should have been the end of everything New York related…

I agree that this is easily the worst part of the game. The New York stuff was silly in the first part but is downright ludicrous in part 2. What possible reason have a top US law firm to spend money and time on a runaway lawyer? She has nothing at all of value to them - her own choices have made her a liability to them. As Timo says, a completely unnecessary and non-sensical cardboard cut out of a “bad guy”.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Intense Degree - 23 August 2015 04:57 PM
TimovieMan - 23 August 2015 03:05 PM

I’m actually disliking this part. It feels like forced antagonism. I don’t think this game needs an antagonist, least of all one from New York. Kate broke with her past at the end of the first game, and that should have been the end of everything New York related…

I agree that this is easily the worst part of the game. The New York stuff was silly in the first part but is downright ludicrous in part 2. What possible reason have a top US law firm to spend money and time on a runaway lawyer? She has nothing at all of value to them - her own choices have made her a liability to them. As Timo says, a completely unnecessary and non-sensical cardboard cut out of a “bad guy”.

As someone who has worked in corporate America, I completely agree. No company would bother like that, unless you were the CEO or someone of utmost importance. Every time I hear back from the office in NYC, it just makes me cringe, and it feels tacked on and lacking a grasp of the real world.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What possible reason have a top US law firm to spend money and time on a runaway lawyer?

Well, she still has that signed contract that is needed to complete the sale of the factory!
Just because Kate decided to chase mammoths instead of doing her job, then it doesn’t mean that her employer has given up on the hole thing, they still need Hans’s signature.

As for the rest, then I can’t really comment on it before it becomes more apparent what role it will actually play in the game - But I do fell that this scene adds some continuity to the game, reminding us why Kate is here in the first place, and as Becky pointed out, adds some contrast to the other scenes.

But it is too early to talk about the role it will play throughout the game, at least for those of us that already knows the answer.

Edit:

diego - 23 August 2015 03:02 PM

This is about the part where I left off the last time, so I’ll be looking to join in in the next few days…

Welcome aboard - I was wondering when you would join in.

Edit 2:
One thing just occurred to me, Kate still has the number for the New York office and her Mom in her phone, but has deleted Dan and Olivia, so she might not have broken as completely with her old job as many of you seem to think, at least not mentally.

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 23 August 2015 07:57 PM

What possible reason have a top US law firm to spend money and time on a runaway lawyer?

Well, she still has that signed contract that is needed to complete the sale of the factory!
Just because Kate decided to chase mammoths instead of doing her job, then it doesn’t mean that her employer has given up on the hole thing, they still need Hans’s signature.

Yeah, let us all not forget that Kate is a selfish and immature girl who sacrificed the future of an entire community into economic crisis and utter unemployment just because she wanted to chase mammoths by a change of heart.  Naughty
She could have sent back the signed contract by mail or something at least….

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

But that’s the thing: we no longer have the contract in our inventory, so we can assume that she at least mailed it back.

The problem with the New York Forced Villains is that they’re after Kate, not the contract. Makes no sense whatsoever…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

If a young female attorney disappears while on a job (alone) in the middle of Russia, her friends and family are going to demand that her employer make an effort to locate her. You could make a case (if you were, say, a concerned parent) that as soon as the business with the contract got complicated enough that Kate was chasing across the hinterlands looking for the heir, someone else from the firm should have joined her.

I think there’s something “extralegal” going on with the firm that we don’t know about yet, and Kate is somehow (probably unintentionally) involved.

Mart—I asked my favorite New York attorney if he had ever heard the phrase “dura lex, sed lex.” He knew that “lex” was the Latin word for law, of course, but didn’t recall ever having heard the phrase while practicing law.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top