• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #35: Syberia 2

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 24 August 2015 07:29 AM

If a young female attorney disappears while on a job (alone) in the middle of Russia, her friends and family are going to demand that her employer make an effort to locate her.

The cutscenes imply that finding Kate is more of a “capture and hold” mission than a “search and rescue”.

It really looks more like villainy that’s hamfisted into the game than anything else…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Mart—I asked my favorite New York attorney if he had ever heard the phrase “dura lex, sed lex.” He knew that “lex” was the Latin word for law, of course, but didn’t recall ever having heard the phrase while practicing law.

It is a well-known latin phrase though. I knew what it meant (Hard law, but law nonetheless), before the monk gave us the answer seconds later.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 24 August 2015 08:18 AM

It is a well-known latin phrase though. I knew what it meant (Hard law, but law nonetheless), before the monk gave us the answer seconds later.

^ This.

It’s one of the better-known latin phrases. Up there with “veni, vidi, vici”, “alea iacta est” and “de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum”, imo.

Haven’t gotten all that far in the monastery yet, but I wanted to post these two screenshots already:

The moment I saw this, I knew I wanted to post it. Sadly, you’re only shown it the first time you’re at the location (at least the stairs to the University of Barrockstadt get shown each time in the first game), so I had to look for it online instead. Tongue

It’s the White Tree of Gondor!!!

Oh, and I loved the music in this cutscene.  Heart

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 24 August 2015 07:12 AM

But that’s the thing: we no longer have the contract in our inventory, so we can assume that she at least mailed it back.

I’m fairly certain that she didn’t mail it!
I can’t remember if it is ever explicitly said so, but I believe that it is at least heavily implied that she didn’t, besides when should she have done so, this is the first stop after Aralbad.

That the contract is not in our inventory doesn’t mean anything, as it was also never in our inventory in the first game, I just loaded up the first game to check.

TimovieMan - 24 August 2015 07:51 AM

If a young female attorney disappears while on a job (alone) in the middle of Russia, her friends and family are going to demand that her employer make an effort to locate her.

The cutscenes imply that finding Kate is more of a “capture and hold” mission than a “search and rescue”.

Perhaps it is a bit of both?

BYW: has any of you tried to actually phone her boss?

TimovieMan - 24 August 2015 09:41 AM

The moment I saw this, I knew I wanted to post it. Sadly, you’re only shown it the first time you’re at the location (at least the stairs to the University of Barrockstadt get shown each time in the first game), so I had to look for it online instead. Tongue

Perhaps from my “Part 2” starting post Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Indeed the storyline implies that she didn’t mail it. Though the ending cut scene prevents us to check the inventory (at least in my version), we can assume that she has the signed contract (as she puts it inside her jacket/inventory).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

mart - 24 August 2015 10:36 AM

Indeed the storyline implies that she didn’t mail it. Though the ending cut scene prevents us to check the inventory (at least in my version), we can assume that she has the signed contract (as she puts it inside her jacket/inventory).

Yes, but if you check a save game before the end cutscene, then you can see that the unsigned contract is also not in our inventory, so the contract signed or not, was never an inventory item in the game, so the fact that it is not an inventory item here in the sequel has no significance.

She might still have it, or she might have burned it, tossed it out the window or used it as toilet paper Wink Either way I’m fairly certain that she haven’t mailed it to the law firm.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 24 August 2015 09:54 AM

Perhaps from my “Part 2” starting post Wink

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Iznogood - 24 August 2015 10:56 AM

Yes, but if you check a save game before the end cutscene, then you can see that the unsigned contract is also not in our inventory, so the contract signed or not, was never an inventory item in the game, so the fact that it is not an inventory item here in the sequel has no significance.

She might still have it, or she might have burned it, tossed it out the window or used it as toilet paper Wink Either way I’m fairly certain that she haven’t mailed it to the law firm.

As said, I am of the same opinion as you (it is likely she didn’t post the contract signed by Hans). I can’t check a save game before the ending sequence (that’s why I said “in my version,” at least the one I am playing now, the dvd collection). After the conversation with Hans, the cut scene follows, so I can’t check (strange). 
It should be there though, as she puts it away. I also agree that it has no - real - significance not being there in the sequel. That’s just a technical issue, they started the sequel without any inventory items (though it’s nice to assume that she has destroyed the contract). 

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Iznogood - 24 August 2015 09:54 AM

BYW: has any of you tried to actually phone her boss?

I did try calling the boss at one point but got a busy signal.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

mart - 24 August 2015 11:24 AM
Iznogood - 24 August 2015 10:56 AM

As said, I am of the same opinion as you (it is likely she didn’t post the contract signed by Hans). I can’t check a save game before the ending sequence (that’s why I said “in my version,” at least the one I am playing now, the dvd collection). After the conversation with Hans, the cut scene follows, so I can’t check (strange). 
It should be there though, as she puts it away. I also agree that it has no - real - significance not being there in the sequel. That’s just a technical issue, they started the sequel without any inventory items (though it’s nice to assume that she has destroyed the contract). 

All these theories are cool, but like Tim said, the law firm keeps repeating they are after Kate and not the contract itself. The only thing I can think of is that Mr. Marson is lying, and pretending to have an altruistic motive to find Kate where as in truth, he only wants to secure that deal.

As far as the firm doing it for the family, Kate has been in constant contact with her mother, so it’s not like she doesn’t know about her.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

You can also assume she left the contract in the airplane too. Her boss mentioned her last case being quite difficult also.

But no matter, he could be in love with her and want her back for that reason, now that Dan is out of the picture.

Anyway - despite the massive pot holes in the plot - I’m enjoying the game - some of the puzzles are quite fun and the results of solving them well worth the effort to do so.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@SoccerDude28: Different issues, I guess, Kate’s and Marson’s motives. I think it would have been nice if they had done something with the contract in the sequel. Like some others have said, I thought that the NY cut scenes were less convincing in the sequel, and even sometimes a bit annoying. 

And it is indeed a bit strange. In a way it would be understandable that NY becomes less and less important when Kate’s (personal) journey progresses. That some of the NY characters are more or less “removed” from the list is motivated in the original game (Dan & Olivia, her mother & Malkovitch). But, as the comments here also show, keeping the NY-Office relation needs a strong motivation, which isn’t revealed for some reason (or I missed or forgot some things).

When they had kept the contract in the game, at least some motivation had been supplied, and it would have given the opportunity for some dramatic irony (the NY Office making all these efforts, while Kate has already tossed it out of the window). 
(Edited)

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have to say - this part reminded me some good times from an old Caption Contest….

After all these, it is not weird that the Patriarch has no sympathy for us whatsoever!!  Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

If I had a dollar every time I tried to exit the train by clicking at the bottom of the scene, instead of the right… And I ALREADY played the game! I guess old habits die hard... Wink

Sefir - 24 August 2015 04:42 PM

I have to say - this part reminded me some good times from an old Caption Contest….

Heheh… or this one

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I reached the woods. Cool

Good thing the game has the option of watching cutscenes again because I accidentally right-clicked when the final cutscene started, and was teleported to the woods immediately. Almost made me miss a great cutscene. Gasp

The game is - with the sole exception of the cocktail mixing puzzle in the first game - a notch up in difficulty, but for most of the puzzles it’s because they’re imo poorly clued, and not because they’re genuinely more difficult.

The coin puzzle has been debated in great detail, but really is solved by trial-and-error - the hint is useless. If I didn’t scan every screen I would have missed the hotspot on the Cirkos poster in front of the gap in the Bourgoff Brothers’ wooden fence, and in this section the entire library section is poorly clued.
If I didn’t resort to “trying everything on every hotspot”, I would not have figured out what to do with the frescos in the chapel and would have missed the major clue to solving the “lighting the candles” puzzle. And I only solved the “eye of the mammoth” lens puzzle by trial-and-error as well. The same goes for the “fixing the horses” puzzle which gave me quite a bit of difficulty because I didn’t think of pressing the button when none of the tubes were attached yet at first.
Plus, I had overlooked the candle-lighter hotspot at first as well, which made me think the entire library was just a lot of empty screens. If that didn’t send my spidey-sense tingling (and thus make me go over every screen again), I’d have needed help solving things.

But the thing is, it’s not that the puzzles are overly difficult, it’s just that they’re ever so poorly clued imo. Was there any way (besides trying every item on the relevant hotspot) of knowing that the Youkol relic was used as a candle holder / smoke dispenser???
Also, by the time that I found Alexei’s journal and thus figured out how to cure Hans, I was already walking around with a regular candle and the needed herbal candle. I basically solved a few puzzles before I knew why they needed solving…

Also, why does this game have so many villains? In the first game we really only had the director of the industrial complex, but here we have the New Yorkers, the monastery patriarch and the Bourgoff Brothers.
We’re on a journey that no-one but Kate Walker and Hans Voralberg cares about. Then why do we have so many people chasing us or actively trying to stop us? I liked it better when we had “regular” road blocks like in the first game. A lot of it feels forced. It’s like the second part was originally a lot shorter but they expanded it to get a full game out of it when they noticed they would have to split the single game they’d planned on making at first…

And I’m also starting to get annoyed that everybody keeps saying your name at the end of every sentence, Kate Walker. It’s quirky if Oscar does it, Kate Walker, and understandable when Hans does as well (as he’s supposed to be an ‘idiot savant’, and well, could be the reason why Oscar does the same thing, Kate Walker), but here literally EVERYONE finishes EVERY sentence with your name, Kate Walker. Thank you, Miss Walker. Goodbye, Kate Walker.
It’s driving me crazy, Kate Walker…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m liking the game, but there’s a lot of elements to it that are clearly lesser than they were in the first game to me. Fortunately the graphics, music and voice acting are still top notch.
Well, at least the voice acting is for those characters that don’t snicker or nervously laugh every three words like the Bourgoff Brothers or that laundry monk. Shifty Eyed
And Kate has an odd way of saying that something is ‘sssstuck’... Crazy

But I’m really loving the youki. Cool

It’s also funny that they’re calling it a mix between a seal and a dog. The Dutch word for the common (earless) seal is ‘zeehond’, which literally means ‘sea dog’. The youki is the closest thing to an actual ‘sea dog’ I’ve ever seen. Grin
And he’s cute as a button. Innocent
I want one. Tongue

Also, I loved the look on Hans’s face during the ‘Escape’ cinematic. Reminded me of Albert Einstein going ‘Wahoo!’ on a motorcycle. Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top