• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445LittleRoseSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #31: The Whispered World

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wilco—yes, I’ve done the rotation thing and the bucket is now in my inventory. I need to figure out what to do next. Should I start trying every inventory item with every hotspot at this point?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Becky - 01 February 2015 05:09 PM

Wilco—yes, I’ve done the rotation thing and the bucket is now in my inventory. I need to figure out what to do next. Should I start trying every inventory item with every hotspot at this point?

No, after you opened all the valves you have to use it with the fork to reach the lever. (complete solution)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Still though, the world is very unique and cool.

It is indeed that. A pretty amazing game I’d say. I do like the graphics and how they make this world seem strange - yet somehow familiar at the same time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

OK, I’m WAY behind on the playthrough, thanks to real life. I’m still in chapter 1, but I just have to say that the entrance to Shana’s is a friggin’ masterful puzzle! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Becky - 01 February 2015 03:49 PM

I’m now stuck after schlepping back and forth and repeatedly moving heaven and earth—well, [spoiler]earth anyway—to get to a bucket. Which has a hole in it. Dear Liza. [/spoiler]

Intriguingly, the Asgil seem to be very heavy sleepers. Maybe Sadwicks’ spit has a sedative effect?

I don’t even know why I need a bucket. Dear Liza.

That was one of those puzzles I never fully understood until I had finished it. I don’t think anyone could have planned to use it to combine with a fork(??) and attach to the lever to put spot in. If I was Sadwick I would have just hit the lever with the club, but, you know - adventure game logic.

Also, Sefir’s advice to use hotspot finder in every room might be detrimental to your progress in Chapter 3. I’m sure you know what I’m referring to!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I finally found the lever. I’m playing the Steam Special Edition, and the developer commentary portrait on the top left part of the screen pretty much obscures the lever. I liked the animation with tossing Spot(s) into the bucket, btw.

I’ve finished Chapter Three.

Oscar - 01 February 2015 10:37 PM

Also, Sefir’s advice to use hotspot finder in every room might be detrimental to your progress in Chapter 3. I’m sure you know what I’m referring to!

I’m not sure what you mean. I must have bumbled my way through as usual. Anything to do with the weapons room?

Total Posts: 2992

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Becky - 01 February 2015 05:09 PM

Should I start trying every inventory item with every hotspot at this point?

You mean that you don’t do that anyway?? Gasp

So many quotes lost…. Frown

I don’t think anyone could have planned to use it to combine with a fork(??) and attach to the lever to put spot in.

Strangely enough, I did in my first playthrough (Although I thought that the weight of the bucket would have been enough. The Spot thought came later and it was yet again an extremely smart use of him).

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

diego - 01 February 2015 12:15 PM

Gentle nudge: you have to get to the other side, where the frog is

Not-so gentle nudge: a bow will help with that (though, I’m also stuck here, I obviously missed some object…

Thx Diego, but I think we’re stuck the same place.

wilco - 01 February 2015 12:53 PM

For the arrow you need to combine 2 objects and one of them has to be shaped into the arrowhead first

I’ve got the bow and made the arrowhead already, but I’m drawing a complete blank on the arrow, don’t know if I missed an object somewhere…

Total Posts: 2992

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Duck of Doom - 02 February 2015 10:53 AM

I’ve got the bow and made the arrowhead already, but I’m drawing a complete blank on the arrow, don’t know if I missed an object somewhere…

Hunters of the old used to make sturdy arrows from bones....

I’m now stuck after schlepping back and forth and repeatedly moving heaven and earth—well, [spoiler]earth anyway—to get to a bucket. Which has a hole in it. Dear Liza. [/spoiler]

Nice to know where the reference comes from. I wonder how many more cultural references I lost….

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Angry
#&%**£#!!!
I just forgot the first line of my inventory screen!
...That would be what technicians and mechanics call an “error 40”:
the error is 40cm from the screen….

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Sefir - 02 February 2015 10:23 AM

So many quotes lost…. Frown

No worries—I spent a lot of time in Chapter One triggering all those quotes. In later chapters, I spent time triggering them at the beginning of the chapter. By the end of each chapter, especially after solving several puzzles, I don’t look forward to yet again trying every new inventory item on every hotspot. I don’t have as much patience by then, for some reason.

I’m glad you enjoyed the “Hole in the Bucket” song. It’s actually somewhat like an adventure game cascade of inventory puzzles. I first heard the song as a child on an ancient television show called Captain Kangaroo. I couldn’t find a clip with the song from that show, though, so I settled for Sesame Street, which is probably even better.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t know if ‘lever’ is correctly translated. Strictly, a lever is:

a rigid bar resting on a pivot, used to move a heavy or firmly fixed load with one end when pressure is applied to the other.

Technically, something like that wouldn’t budge using the game’s own solution. Which is probably why I had trouble with that puzzle (although I bungled through it by random item combining).

Becky - 02 February 2015 08:07 AM

I’m not sure what you mean. I must have bumbled my way through as usual. Anything to do with the weapons room?

I was referring to the wall in the weapons room. The hotspot finder shows three hotspots and if you use all three none reveal the secret passage. You have to click somewhere else to find the passage.

Another puzzle I found a bit silly: combining the arrowhead with a curved tusk to get a straight arrow! How does that work? Either the tusk magically straightens or the arrow is totally ineffective at being shot. And you have chopsticks, which would make so much better arrows!

You can tell the Daedelic team failed their high school physics classes (not that TWW’s physics need be the same as ours!) Tongue

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yes, the passage in the wall in the weapons room somehow opened up when I returned there a second or third time—I still don’t know quite how I managed it. Sometimes bumbling around is the best strategy.  Wink

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sometimes bumbling around is the best strategy

Yes, this is quite true, some games more than others. If the game (this one included) uses illogical inventory combinations in illogical ways, bumbling can be an effective strategy.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Good news everybody, I have not only started the game and are finally joining this playthrough, but I also dedicated a not unsubstantial part of the weekend to catch up, and is now in the middle of chapter 3 Cool

Fortunately it is not a very long game, and I could still remember many of the puzzles from my original playthrough. Not the actual solutions of course, but the general idea, like with the whole human cannonball thing, and grandpa’s pantaloons , though using the mouse to retrieve them, is one of those things that fall under using everything on everything.

The one puzzle in this game that I don’t really get is the Skull-levers at the beginning at this chapter, [spoiler]there is a skull head where we have to align the different parts by pulling some levers, but we can’t actually see any changes in those alignments before we walk to the position where the plate is, and once we are there then we don’t actually need the skull head, as we can just step on the plate instead to see if it is right or wrong. If we could see the parts move when using a lever, then I would have been an excellent puzzle, as we then had extrapolate those movements in our head to form the finished skull head.[/spoiler] But as it is, then it is just pure trial and error with the extra agony of walking back and fort to check the result, something that I really haven’t got patience for anymore, so I took a quick peek at a walkthrough here Confused

Otherwise the whole part with the Asgil here in chapter 3 has always been my favourite part of the game, especially the whole:

Okay I must admit that the whole, turning of the room using the gongs did frustrate me a bit and let to a whole lot of backtracking, but that was most likely because I kind of went amok with the drumstick in the secret room, and completely lost track of how many and in what direction I had turned the room, so I had to backtrack at least four times before I got it aligned correctly. But at least I knew what I had to accomplish, otherwise it would have been excruciating.

Favourite quote from this chapter:
No animals were mistreated during the curse of this game - Except Spot, that is.

Btw I still don’t get what all the fuss about Sadwick’s voice in the English version is all about, it might not be the most interesting voice, but it suits him well in a sad and depressing way.

Sefir - 02 February 2015 11:20 AM

Nice to know where the reference comes from. I wonder how many more cultural references I lost….

There is also a quite famous (in Denmark) Danish version of this song from 1961 with Dirch Passer and Lily Broberg, and there also exists German and Dutch and probably many other versions of this song. The origin is unknown.

Oscar - 02 February 2015 06:18 PM

Another puzzle I found a bit silly: combining the arrowhead with a curved tusk to get a straight arrow! How does that work? Either the tusk magically straightens or the arrow is totally ineffective at being shot. And you have chopsticks, which would make so much better arrows!

I don’t think the chopsticks would have been any better, they are usually quite fragile and would probably splinter and break on impact, but yeah, I also expected that I had to carve it to form before attaching the arrowhead.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top