• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 16 December 2014 02:25 PM

(Aaargh!!! 135 was the perfect number to divide into 9 or 15!!)

16 groups of 8 or 9, where the best 4 advance to the knock-out round of 64.

Any number between 128 and 144 would have been good… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i hate to say it!! i really do.. but the groupings should probably be randomized.
It actually would be pretty easy to do with random.org

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The live draw will be held tomorrow (Wednesday 17) starting at 10 P.M. (GMT/UTC) on Adventure Gamers discussion boards (on this topic Grin )

Draw will be conducted by randomly selecting games from each pot and placing them into empty slots in groups one group after the other from A to P. Exception will be the 8th pot from which 2 games will be drawn into groups A, D, G, J, M and P.
Draw starts from the lowest ranked pot 8 and is progressing to pot 1.

At first I thought that we should not have more than two groups opened for voting so we can dedicate enough attention to individual games and not just mechanically vote in 16 parallel groups at the same time, also it would probably clog whole Adventure Gamers forum having 16 active threads at the same time. But Caliburn reasonably noticed that this would take an awful lot of time, so I came to a compromise solution that would look something like this:

Day 1 - Groups A, B, C, D open
Day 3 - Groups E, F, G open
Day 5 - Groups H, I, J open, Groups A, B, C, D close
Day 7 - Groups K, L, M open, Groups E, F, G close
Day 9 - Groups N, O, P open, Groups H, I, J close
Day 11 - Groups K, L, M close
Day 13 - Groups N, O, P close

(this way never more than 6(7) groups-threads would be opened for voting at the same time)

So it would finish just before the New Year, then we could have a short break before the elimination rounds. But if you think that this is still too protracted we can condensed it and start the voting at the same time in all groups or eventually just split it in half.

Second and the most important thing is the voting system in groups. I would love to hear all proposals regarding this and if community accepts one it would be great.
For now as a placeholder I thought that every member should vote for 5 games from each group (in one post without later edits) by giving them 7, 5, 3, 2 and 1 point.
In the first post of each group thread should be a table with the latest standings that I will try to update as quickly as I can manage. But if there would be volunteers that would like to open a thread for a group of their choice and maintain it or even write something about each game as an introduction Smile I would be more than happy and that would be wonderful. Please if you like to do that just post it here on this thread or PM me.

If you have some other idea to do it more elegantly - perfect Smile
And I hope all of this is OK with mods (I’m looking at you TimovieMan Grin ) and that we can pull this through.
I hope we all have loads of fun by essentially playing this tournament, I personally cannot wait the kick off!  Cool

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s happening!! Very cool tournament

zane - 16 December 2014 04:21 PM

i hate to say it!! i really do.. but the groupings should probably be randomized.

I think the groups are going to be random, but there needs to be some seeding or we could end up with a group consisting of the top 9 adventure games and that wouldn’t be too fair.

Edit: Bogi, wouldn’t a week of voting before closing be better and allow more people to vote? Or that would drag out too much?
Point system seems fine to me.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

wilco - 16 December 2014 05:29 PM

It’s happening!! Very cool tournament

zane - 16 December 2014 04:21 PM

I think the groups are going to be random, but there needs to be some seeding or we could end up with a group consisting of the top 9 adventure games and that wouldn’t be too fair.

Edit: Bogi, wouldn’t a week of voting before closing be better and allow more people to vote? Or that would drag out too much?
Point system seems fine to me.

Yes, it would definitely be better and it would take just about the same number of days (we could vote for groups A-H in the first week and that for I-P in the next 7 days, so it’s the same period, I’m just not sure how the mods would look onto this. If they are OK with 8 active threads then there’s no problem to do that.

I also forgot to add two things:

1. If the two or more games finish with the equal amount of points, a game with more 7 point votes will be ahead, if that’s the same then 5 point votes are looked and so on.

2. In the round of 64 that will follow this group stage, seeding will be decided by the placement in the groups. So the pairing will be:

Winners of groups VS 4th placed games (X)
2nd placed games VS 3rd placed games (Y)

and in the round of 32 we will then have:

the winners of X duels VS the winners of Y duels

We will have a predetermined bracket (but will just shuffle A-H and I-P groups between themselves to avoid any midemeanor Grin ) that will secure that 16 group winners can’t meet each other before the 1/8 finals (round of 16) and that games that were in the same group can’t meet again before the semi-final.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bogi - 16 December 2014 05:27 PM

Second and the most important thing is the voting system in groups. I would love to hear all proposals regarding this and if community accepts one it would be great.
For now as a placeholder I thought that every member should vote for 5 games from each group (in one post without later edits) by giving them 7, 5, 3, 2 and 1 point.

That seems good to me Bogi but I just want to ask - if it works out that you’ve played less than 5 games in a group can you choose the value of points to allocate to say just maybe the 2 games you’ve played e.g. 5 to one of them & 1 to the other?
Also there maybe games in a group you don’t want to give points to at all which may bring the number of games down to again less than 5 so is it acceptable not to give points to a game you’ve played if you don’t want to? (yes! some honesty is required here from the players!)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

@ chrissie: if we only vote for games we’ve actually played, then that pretty much dooms all the non-PC and more obscure games, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 16 December 2014 06:25 PM

@ chrissie: if we only vote for games we’ve actually played, then that pretty much dooms all the non-PC and more obscure games, imo…

Then on what basis are you voting for games if it’s not on your experience of playing them? - you like the title, the screenshots are nice, it’s got good reviews, everyone else thought it was great etc? Nah, there’s going to be 0 points from me for a game unless I’ve played it! Smile

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

@chrissie
Yes, I was also banging my head over this, aware that there would certainly be groups where people haven’t played more than 1-2 games, but haven’t found an easy solution for this. First I thought to reduce number of games that you need to give points to to 4 or even only 3, but then it’s even worse if someone played 7-8 games from a group and like them.

So I think the most rational solution is to vote for the games you played and if it’s less than a 5 in a group then add the lowest points to the games that you haven’t played, but think you’d like the most based on their description. And if you played a game and really didn’t like it, just leave it without points and give that remaining 2/1 point to the game that although you haven’t played looks much more like your cup of tea.

@TimovieMan
I edited previous post based on your suggestions, thanks!

Just one more thing, if in elimination rounds voting a duel is by chance finished by split votes, the decider will be the placement and number of points acquired in the group stage. So although you would maybe be sure that your favorite will advance comfortably from the group, before you decide to use your 7 pointer to your second favorite, remember that those points could mean everything in later rounds.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m sorry Bogi, I don’t agree with giving points to games I haven’t played! I find it meaningless.  Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 16 December 2014 06:43 PM

Then on what basis are you voting for games if it’s not on your experience of playing them?

More or less like Bogi says: give points to the ones you’ve played and assess the rest according to your taste and preferences for the remaining points.

If we don’t do that, then I’m fairly sure not a single text adventure is making it through the group stage…

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 16 December 2014 06:25 PM

i dunno, i think theres a sizable number of people here who play ds and psp adventures, and that was shown in the nominating. People can vote for games they didnt play if they want to.. but i wouldnt Tongue
If there werent enough people to nominate a text adventure, then there isnt going to be enough people to vote for it in the knockout.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 16 December 2014 07:05 PM
chrissie - 16 December 2014 06:43 PM

Then on what basis are you voting for games if it’s not on your experience of playing them?

More or less like Bogi says: give points to the ones you’ve played and assess the rest according to your taste and preferences for the remaining points.

If we don’t do that, then I’m fairly sure not a single text adventure is making it through the group stage…

But it’s not logical!

zane - 16 December 2014 07:07 PM

i dunno, i think theres a sizable number of people here who play ds and psp adventures, and that was shown in the nominating. People can vote for games they didnt play if they want to.. but i wouldnt Tongue
If there werent enough people to nominate a text adventure, then there isnt going to be enough people to vote for it in the knockout.

Exactly!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Id also just like to point out: the level of complexity and size of the bracket we’re going with here, is on the level of contests intended for 20 thousand people voting or more Tongue
Halfway through this thing we’ll probably be averaging 5-10 voters. Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Then are you also not giving points to games you’ve played but hated? And what about games you found average?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top