• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Journey! How could I forget that one… also nominate it

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

We are now pretty close to finish our qualifiers. There are 4 new competitors in the draw:

Danganronpa, Space Quest V, The Stanley Parable and Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

Current situation is:

Games that already qualified (21 games):
Resonance
Primordia
The Cat Lady
Botanicula
Edna and Harvey: The Breakout
Gray Matter
To the Moon
Blackwell Epiphany
Brothers - Tale of 2 sons
Cognition
Danganronpa
Deponia
Discworld
Kentucky Route Zero
Lost Horizon
Night of the Rabbit
Space Quest V
The Stanley Parable
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
The Whispered World
The Walking Dead

3 votes (16 games):
Broken Age
Danganronpa 2
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Gone Home
Jouney Down
Journey
Memoria
Overclocked
Tales of Monkey Island
The Dagger of Amon Ra
The Inner World
The Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate
The Moment of Silence
The Next Big Thing
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
Zork

2 votes (17 games):
Alone in the Dark
Alone in the Dark 2
Ceville
Colossal Cave Adventure
Corpse Party
Dear Esther
Gobliiins
King’s Quest 3
Omikron the Nomad Soul
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Sam and Max Season 3
Starship Titanic
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The Lost Crown
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo
The Talos Principle

1 vote (72 games):
09:05:00 AM
999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors
A Mind Forever Voyaging
A Vampyre Story
Alone in the Dark 3
Anchorhead
Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris
ASA A Space Adventure
Below the Root
Beyond Two Souls
Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent’s Curse
Bureaucracy
Christminster
Cosmology of Kyoto
Cruise for a Corpse
Curses
Dark Seed
Death Gate
Dreamweb
Edna and Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Gateway
Gateway 2
Gobliins 2
Goblins 3
Harvester
Haunted
Hector: Badge of Carnage
Heroine’s Quest
Hopkins FBI
Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past
Jolly Rover
KGB
King’s Quest 7
Moebius
Myst IV
Myst V
Oknytt
Out of Order
Papo & Yo
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh
Photopia
Planetfall
Plundered Hearts
Quest for Glory
Randal’s Monday
Riddle of the Sphinx
Runaway
Runaway 2
Secret Files
Secret Files 2
Secret Files 3
Secret Files 4
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
Spider and Web
Starcross
Stick it to the Man
Suspect
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
The Black Mirror 2
The Black Mirror 3
The Dream Machine
The Lurking Horror
The Omega Stone
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief
Time Hollow
TimeQuest
Trinity
Vanishing Of Ethan Carter
Vespers
Voyage
Woodfruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Virtue’s Last Reward is amongst the 1 vote AND amongst the 2 vote games. Shouldn’t that be 3 votes then?

Edit: yep, it should have 3 votes: wilco, Kasper and myself voted for it.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 14 December 2014 07:39 PM

Virtue’s Last Reward is amongst the 1 vote AND amongst the 2 vote games. Shouldn’t that be 3 votes then?

Edit: yep, it should have 3 votes: wilco, Kasper and myself voted for it.

Yes, thanks TimovieMan, I accidentally made two entries in the table for that game. It should be ok now.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Bogi - 14 December 2014 07:35 PM

Deponia: The Complete Journey

So this is just a discussion point for the group to consider: Should the Deponia trilogy be counted as one game like this?

Here’s why I’m not so sure it should:

* The Deponia installments are typically thought of as sequels, not episodes. They are 8-10 hrs each. They were originally sold separately with no season pass, if I recall correctly. The Complete Journey bundle came later, and I guess it’s debatable whether that retroactively made it “one game” or whether that’s a discount bundle of sequels.

* It is true that the installments tell a continuing story. However, the closest comparison to this on the AG Top 100 is Syberia I and II, which were counted as two different games by the AG staff at #55 for Syberia II and #15 for Syberia I.

* The AG Top 100 seems to have a tendency to use one or more of the best installments in a series as a way to give a nod to the series, rather than acknowledging the series as a whole.

So I think it could make sense to instead just promote the first Deponia game as the representative of its series, much like how The Blackwell Epiphany will be representing its series. I believe there are currently two votes for Deponia (referring to the first game, I thought) and two for the trilogy, so this is sort of the equivalent of the following vote count: Deponia 4, Chaos on Deponia 2, Goodbye Deponia 2.

On the other hand, it’s really not that important that we match the approach of the AG Top 100, and if people feel that a Deponia: The Complete Journey entry will be simpler for the voting brackets, that works fine too. (I guess we can even discuss if people want the Syberia games combined since they’re one story.)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Caliburn - 14 December 2014 08:36 PM

So this is just a discussion point for the group to consider: Should the Deponia trilogy be counted as one game like this?

yeah i noticed that as well, but decided not to bring it up since more people probably werent going to vote for it that way Tongue
Id say it obviously should not be counted as one game.. the first deponia is already in the list.
EDIT: oh wait, it is qualifying as complete journey? Thats a bad idea. This is a confusing web.. And people are voting for a group stage to make it more conufsing… Tongue

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think it would probably be the best to have Deponia (the first game) as a contender, so to avoid making further reshuffling and it still has most votes as a single installment from the series.

I would also like to ask you to express your opinion which number of points would be appropriate (how many games should receive points and how many points) when voting for the games in a group if the group would have 8 games of which 4 should advance.

My idea was giving points to 5 games, by giving 7 points to the best, following with 5, 3, 2 and 1 point. But maybe that’s to many games involved and maybe there would be groups where some members haven’t played more than 3-4 games, so it makes sense to cut down voting to only 4 or even 3 games.
It would be of great help to hear what’s your opinion about this?

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Very well. If that’s the case with Deponia, then I also put my vote for Broken Age (which I wouldn’t normally have done, since we are still waiting for the 2nd part).

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Now, when I think of it, we don’t have a problem here, I agree with Caliburn it’s just that Wilco and Zane voted only for the first installment and Driver8 and Adventure Games Forever voted for all 3 games. So as Caliburn said vote count is:

Deponia 4 votes (qualified)
Chaos on Deponia 2 votes
Goodbye Deponia 2 votes

And with Selfir’s vote we also have Broken Age qualified, only 7 free slots left.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Broken Age is not finished and shouldn’t be at the list, this is a crime Tongue Tongue !

Great Job Bogi, I thought it would be more complicated when you started it to the extend of not happening, but it seems you are taking this into being accomplished, eventually .

Glad to see E&H and TNoTR making it, wish to see TMoS and Overclocked making it too..

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just a minute…The Inner World is in the 2 votes AND in the 1 votes as well!!

(Yep! 3 votes. Adventure Games Forever, A.A and me)

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Thanks Advie, really appreciate it Wink

I thought this also and I’m still not sure if we are going to pull it through until the great final, but I’ll give my best and I hope members will have enough enthusiasm for a long time that this tournament will require. We are still just at the beginning of the beginning Smile

Thanks Sefir, I corrected it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 15 December 2014 06:06 AM

I thought this also and I’m still not sure if we are going to pull it through until the great final, but I’ll give my best and I hope members will have enough enthusiasm for a long time that this tournament will require. We are still just at the beginning of the beginning Smile

And I’ll help with the modding, because I’m actually looking forward to some of the discussions that odd pairings will generate. And there are definitely going to be some odd pairings… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, more votes for games from the “unqualified” pile

Overclocked
Dagger of Amon Ra
The moment of silence
The Lost Crown
Broken Sword 5
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief

EDIT: And

Scratches
The Samaritan Paradox

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I also realized that Scratches is not in the Top-100. Blasphemy! Put my vote on that too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top