• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

By the way, if anyone just stepped into this thread and is confused what’s going on, here’s a quick refresher:

We are nominating adventure games for a tournament.

99 games from the AG Top 100 list (minus Infocom)
+ 26 more games which already got 4+ nominating votes in this thread
+  3 still open slots
———————-
128 nominated games to compete in an upcoming elimination tournament for Best Adventure Game (or, if you prefer, Community Favorite Adventure Game).

Bogi’s organizing and can answer questions. His first and latest post are good places to catch up on what’s going on.

TimovieMan - 15 December 2014 04:19 PM

But I don’t want to vote on anything I haven’t played… Frown

Understood, yeah, I agree and feel that’s the best policy, I’m just hoping some text adventure fans might come out of the woodwork.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ll add a vote for Corpse Party , still doesn’t qualify it but it’s an delightful original horror game that deserves a shot.

Somebody put a vote up for Zork, please, probably not near the best text adventure but it’s a classic. Smile

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I’ll add votes for:

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
Danganronpa 2
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Corpse Party
999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors
Death Gate
Phantasmagoria

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Regarding Zork with its 3 votes I think it’s more than fair for it to receive a wild card similar to Walking Dead that also has 3 votes, but was AGGIE awards winner. Infocom’s adventures had their place in the Top 100 list and we “took it”, so Zork as Inofom’s arguably best known text adventure and the text adventure with most votes has every right to get that wild card.
There’s even some symbolism in that the games that received wild cards to this tournament are so completely different, they lay on the two very ends of the adventure games spectrum and represent the very beginning of the genre and its newest trends.

So Zork is our 126th game that entered competition.

Only 2 more and I’ll anounce the seeding pots and the time of the group stage LIVE draw Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Can I still vote for additional games?

I listed sofar the Walking Dead and Brothers for the initial list.

If so, I’ll add a vote to Tales of Monkey Island

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 15 December 2014 05:36 PM

Only 2 more and I’ll anounce the seeding pots and the time of the group stage LIVE draw Smile

Didn’t Danganronpa 2 and Virtue’s Last Reward just make it with Detective Mosely’s votes?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 15 December 2014 05:27 PM

I’ll add votes for:

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
Danganronpa 2
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Corpse Party
999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors
Death Gate
Phantasmagoria

Ok, we have a little problem now, I was typing the post and didn’t see Detective Mosely’s one, his vote made 3 games to pass the line:

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward, Danganronpa 2 and Corpse Party.

So with Zork it gives 129 games. I think we have two possibilities, one is to try and somehow decide which game will be left out and the second one is to have a group(s) with 9 games. I think that could be even more fair and I suggest that the voting continue until tomorrow (Tuesday at 6 P.M. GMT). When it will be definitely closed.

If you think that the first option is better than let’s decide somehow which game will be left out.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 15 December 2014 05:44 PM
Bogi - 15 December 2014 05:36 PM

Didn’t Danganronpa 2 and Virtue’s Last Reward just make it with Detective Mosely’s votes?

Yes and also Corpse Party and now with Subbi’s vote Tales of Monkey Island Smile

So maybe it would be better to leave this window for voting open until tomorrow at 6 P.M. GMT and we would have probably several groups with 9 games.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

In that case, let me add some more votes Tongue

Overclocked
The Walking Dead (so it doesn’t just get in for honorary reasons)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Suspect (this is probably the best text adventure I’ve ever played, to be honest.  didn’t see it on the list originally.  It was really cool and way ahead of it’s time.  It even had a clock with tons of different characters moving around the map doing various things.)

and in case any fellow fans want to give it some last minute votes and piss off all the Telltale haters:

The Walking Dead: Season 2

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wait, more than 128 games? Now I’m going to be really ticked off if FotAQ doesn’t make this… Meh

Hint, hint. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 15 December 2014 06:59 PM

Wait, more than 128 games? Now I’m going to be really ticked off if FotAQ doesn’t make this… Meh

Hint, hint. Wink

It’s unbelievable Frown

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 15 December 2014 06:59 PM

Don’t be sad. Not even classics like Scratches or The Lost Crown made it.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Detective Mosely - 15 December 2014 06:13 PM

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

This one’s actually already included as it is #69 in the AG Top 100. No worries, it’s an easy mistake to make with so many games to keep track of.

One thing I’ve already found interesting about the nominating process is reminding myself what did and didn’t make the AG Top 100. If you’d asked me before this week, I would have thought that one of the Kyrandia games was included in the lower ranks of the Top 100, but apparently none of them were, hence my decision to nominate Kyrandia 2.

It’s also neat to learn about games I didn’t know about like Suspect or Lost Horizon.

Sefir - 15 December 2014 07:31 PM

Don’t be sad. Not even classics like Scratches or The Lost Crown made it.

Well, it’s not quite over yet. Smile

If I understand Bogi correctly, the current plan is like this:

* Nominations will end Dec. 16 at 6PM GMT/UTC (here’s a countdown timer), so people can still vote for awhile.

* It no longer matters if we nominate a few more than 128 games to compete in the tournament. It’s OK to have a few extra candidates because…

* We’re going to start the tournament with a group round. The nominees will be divided into 16 groups containing 8 or 9 games each. (The groups containing 9 games will allow for a little overflow beyond just 128 nominees.) People will vote, probably using a points system, to select 4 games from each group to continue.

* Those 4 games that win the 16 groups will then add up to a total of 64 games, which we can use to do a whole bunch of one-on-one knockout rounds to finish the tournament and declare a winner.

Bogi, please correct me if I’ve made any errors.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

No, absolutely nothing to correct Caliburn, you summed it up perfectly Smile

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Nominations
Dragonsphere
Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
Portal (1986)
Botanicula