• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I checked my Big Fish list and apparently I bought Epic: Wishmaster in 2012 and Time Dreamer in 2011. So either of them would be OK for me.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We seem to have a rather large problem.

I bought E.P.I .C. - Wishmaster from BFG several years ago. I’m not sure what would happen if I ever had to re-install it. It’s not available from BFG. In fact, the game has been removed from my purchase history.

Chrissie reports dissatisfaction with the Alawar website I listed as a source for the game. I wouldn’t download any unwanted applications just to get the game either.

To make matters worse, if you use the Casual Games Developers link at the bottom of this post to find the game’s developer, Tiki Labs, go to their site and click on the PC version download, you are forwarded to the BFG site. Interesting that there is a working link on the Tiki site that will allow you to download a Mac version of the game. That helps Lady Kestrel, but nobody else.

I don’t know how many people already own the game and still have it loaded on their computer. My guess would be “not many.”

I was really looking forward to leading this game should it have won the playoff. But I don’t see how that’s possible now.

I think we need to go into default mode and declare Time Dreamer the winner. I will definitely be participating in that game, and hope everyone else will as well. In the meantime, I will search for a reliable source for Wishmaster. If I find one, I’ll re-nominate it for the next playthrough.

So, Time Dreamer wins. Becky leads. Things will start when she gives us the word. I hope nobody has a problem with this decision.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m a bit on the fence here should I try to participate since I failed so badly earlier. Poke me if there is a sale in BigFish - considering.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 02 January 2015 04:47 PM

I bought E.P.I .C. - Wishmaster from BFG several years ago. I’m not sure what would happen if I ever had to re-install it. It’s not available from BFG. In fact, the game has been removed from my purchase history.

Really? Mine is still there. Do a Ctrl-F search for Wishmaster on your purchase page at Big Fish. Don’t try to search for “EPIC” because it has weird punctuation.

Not that it matters for this playthrough, but if you ever want to replay, you should be able to get it.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 02 January 2015 06:50 PM
rtrooney - 02 January 2015 04:47 PM

Really? Mine is still there. Do a Ctrl-F search for Wishmaster on your purchase page at Big Fish. Don’t try to search for “EPIC” because it has weird punctuation.

Not that it matters for this playthrough, but if you ever want to replay, you should be able to get it.

I still have it loaded from the original purchase, so it’s not a problem. But thanks. Still searching for a reliable download source. I’ve certainly found a few unreliable ones.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

millenia - 02 January 2015 06:25 PM

I’m a bit on the fence here should I try to participate since I failed so badly earlier. Poke me if there is a sale in BigFish - considering.

There’s almost always a sale going on. I check in daily. Some are for certain game series. Others are half off. It depends. But you are welcome, as always to join the fray.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

So we’re coming to the conclusion that E.P.I.C. Wishmaster is, for all intents and purposes, unavailable?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 02 January 2015 09:22 PM

So we’re coming to the conclusion that E.P.I.C. Wishmaster is, for all intents and purposes, unavailable?

I’m not saying it’s unavailable. If you go through the process at the Alawar site it’s available for $6.99, but it requires the download of other software. It’s also available on several bit-torrent sites which I won’t recommend.

And, if Crabapple is correct, I could find the game in my purchase history, download the exe, and share it with you.

That won’t happen.

I went through the entire DL process with Alawar. If you go that route it will cost $6.99US. I don’t know whether you can eliminate the add ons when you do the download. I think that happens when you do the install.

I love this game. Sorry.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I bought Wishmaster from Alawar earlier this year without a problem. It also survived a move to my new computer which is more than Big Fish games did. It uses Adobe flash player and I did have a problem when I wanted to play it after I deleted flash player; It tried to install it from Alawar and that is when it wanted to install Google Chrome as well without giving me an option. I solved that by loading flash player from another site. All was good then.

That said, I have Time Dreamer loaded and ready.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

E.P.I.C. Wishmaster is still in my Purchase History at Big Fish.

Given chrissie’s experience and furgotten’s—do others who don’t already own the game and therefore need to purchase from Alawar object to the added programs that are installed with it?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 03 January 2015 10:24 AM

Given chrissie’s experience and furgotten’s—do others who don’t already own the game and therefore need to purchase from Alawar object to the added programs that are installed with it?

Yeah - I actually downloaded and installed the trial version, before reading about Chrissie’s experience first, and speed-clicking through the licence-agreement Confused, and I ended up with all kinds of special-Alwar-shit installed in my browser. Fortunately I was able to get rid of it again (I think) without much trouble, but I have lost all confidence in the site, and don’t trust them enough to actually buy anything from them.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I did locate Wishmaster in my purchase history. However there is no way to test whether it will install without deleting it from my computer.

If furgotten’s workaround, i.e. installing Adobe Flash Player directly from Adobe, solves the problem of loading added applications, then maybe we have a go. (Keep in mind that Adobe, itself, will attempt to load Google Chrome and a toolbar if you don’t uncheck them in the download box.)

I think it would be best to start Time Dreamer as the CCPT, while keeping open the option of playing Wishmaster later.

The two questions that need answering are:

1. How many people either have Wishmaster on their computers or have it in their BFG purchase history. (I guess question 1.a. is whether the game will install from their purchase history.)

2. How many people are willing to go through Alawar knowing that furgotten’s workaround is available.

We obviously need enough people, (minimum 8-10,) who can actually play the game to make a playthrough worthwhile.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 03 January 2015 11:53 AM

If furgotten’s workaround, i.e. installing Adobe Flash Player directly from Adobe, solves the problem of loading added applications…

I doesn’t!

I don’t know if it is because Furgotten bought it earlier this year whereas Chrissie and me downloaded it just a few days ago, and they changed things in the meantime, but the problem isn’t Flash or Chrome (anymore), but instead all kinds of Alwar-shit that it installs in your browser without giving you the option to deselect it.

You can get rid of it again - But I get angry when programs does that , and don’t want to encourage that kind of shitty behaviour by actually buying something from them.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 03 January 2015 12:11 PM
rtrooney - 03 January 2015 11:53 AM

If furgotten’s workaround, i.e. installing Adobe Flash Player directly from Adobe, solves the problem of loading added applications…

I doesn’t!

That pretty much answers all the questions. FWIW, Alawar isn’t the only game developer site to do this. Which is why I recommend BFG as the best site to do business with. I haven’t checked Steam or GOG. Occasionally some casual games end up on their sites.

Too bad. Cry I think everyone would have enjoyed it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve tried again with the game - this time I registered 1st then downloaded the game. On installing it there is a ‘skip’ button to avoid agreeing to the Alawar search engine (hopefully?) & I can now play the demo (in theory!). To purchase the game (& it’s only at this point the site tells you how much it is!) you click on something like ‘remove time limit’ but clicking on the Paypal option & then ‘Pay’ doesn’t work!

The site is absolute rubbish & tells you nothing about pricing unless you want to pay for a subscription but if you want to go ahead with the game I (in theory) can play the demo in the hope that I might be able to buy the rest of the game when the demo finishes! The site tries to fob all this other stuff on you & I think they’re keen to sell their 1 day subscription for $1 because if you fail to unsubscribe within 24 hours you will be relieved of $24.99 (or something like that) for a month’s subscription! I’m not impressed with these kind of tactics but hopefully have avoided the worst from Alawar so far!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top