• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CelesteGBGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 17 November 2014 06:43 AM
rtrooney - 16 November 2014 07:55 PM

We will learn what works best. We’ve only played two games so far. Hardly enough time to perfect our “craft.”

Are most casuals 4-to-6 hours long on a first (thorough) playthrough? Because that would actually allow us to find a good time-table that works.
Regular AGs can be anything from 6 hours to 20+ hours, so every game needs its own unique time-table. Not the case here it seems…

Completing a casual playthrough in about two weeks, split across 4-5 sessions, sounds ideal to me. Cool

It depends on what level you play the game. I would say that if it’s the first time you are playing the game, five-six hours is about right at the easiest level. Maybe seven-eight at the harder levels. (Obviously the game goes a LOT quicker if you know what you have to do.)

So, if you allot 1.5 hours/day, and allow three days per segment, a six-hour game will take 12 days. Add a few more days if CE bonus material gets discussed. So it’s right around two full weeks for an average casual playthrough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

For those who are interested, I’ve started the Casual Playthrough for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek here.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thought it was about time to pull this back up. Posts to the Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood have tapered off. And while there might be some additional conversations regarding Angels and Demons or other speculation about who knew what, and when did they knew it - type items, I think that everyone has finished the game.

Following is a list of the games nominated for the last playthrough:

E.P.I.C: Wishmaster
Depths of Betrayal
Rite of Passage - Child of the Forest
F.A.C.E.S.
Time Dreamer
9: The Dark Side
Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison
Urban Legends: The Maze
House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame
Dreamland
Nearwood

The bottom six games only received one vote each. I was thinking of deleting them, but that would only leave us with a starting pool of five nominees. I might pull the three I nominated if we get some quality new entries that meet the “new” requirements, which I generally applaud. That being an interesting story, which goes without saying, and a reduced number of HO scenes…or at least HO scenes that have some relevance to the story.

I think descriptions of all the games can be found on the most recent five or six pages of the thread. All games are available on BFG.

One game, E.P.I.C. Wishmaster, doesn’t have a demo or a walkthrough. So, if you get stuck, it will be similar to the old-time adventures. You’ll need to find solutions from your fellow players. I’m willing to lead this one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

As I mentioned elsewhere, I would like to lead the new Dire Grove game at some point, but I won’t nominate it now because between the holidays and a trip in January, I wouldn’t be able do it justice until late January or early February. 

I suggest that we choose a game with no sequel nor prequel at this point, so our completists won’t feel like they’re missing something if we don’t play them in the proper order.  I would play any game available for Mac.  F.A.C.E.S. is a dark psychological game with a mystery to solve, but perhaps something lighter might be good for this time of year.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to vote for the top five games, and offer to lead the first.

E.P.I.C: Wishmaster (Tim-leader)
Depths of Betrayal (Tim)
Rite of Passage - Child of the Forest (Tim)
F.A.C.E.S. (Tim. Lady Kestrel)
Time Dreamer (Tim)
Dreamland
Nearwood

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 12 December 2014 08:55 PM

As I mentioned elsewhere, I would like to lead the new Dire Grove game at some point, but I won’t nominate it now because between the holidays and a trip in January, I wouldn’t be able do it justice until late January or early February.

I agree. I would like to do the two Dire Grove games in the same way we did the recent playthrough. I will lead the first one if you will lead the second. But if we need to wait for a few months, that’s OK by me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Let me echo my previous votes again:

E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster
Depths of Betrayal
Time Dreamer

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have played both Depths of Betrayal and Time Dreamer and liked both, so either one would be fine for me.  The other two aren’t available to me.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Sorry for pulling a disappearing act. Warlords of Draenor and some irl stuff took all my time. Might be able to squeeze in some time for other games now, but I’m not voting because not completely sure yet.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vote tally as of December 13

3 Votes Time Dreamer (Tim, TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel)
3 Votes Depths of Betrayal (Tim, TimovieMan, Lady Kestrel)
2 Votes E.P.I.C: Wishmaster (Tim-leader, TimovieMan)
1 Vote F.A.C.E.S. (Tim)
1 Vote 9: The Dark Side (TimovieMan)
1 Vote Rite of Passage - Child of the Forest (Tim)
Dreamland
Nearwood

Note to LK - 9: The Dark Side is available at BFG

Note to all: E.P.I.C. Wishmaster is no longer available from BFG. It is, however, available for FREE at the Alawar Games website.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Pretty sure I enjoyed this one, despite the stolen name
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/16980/dark-strokes-sins-of-the-father/index.html

Would probably play/replay any of the older ones though.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Time Dreamer looks interesting and is my vote.  I always like a good time travel game. 

My time is limited but I’ll try to keep up.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m sorry but I’m going to have to decline from voting for the next playthrough - I’ve just got too many other commitments & not sure I can keep up & have struggled to do so for the last few! I may though play along with whatever is voted if I can!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 13 December 2014 11:38 AM

Note to LK - 9: The Dark Side is available at BFG

Unfortunately, it’s Windows only, Tim.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 13 December 2014 03:29 PM

Unfortunately, it’s Windows only, Tim.

Is Boot Camp an option for you, to run Windows on your Mac?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top