• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Voting as of November 14, 2014 (Final)

5 votes Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek (Becky, Chrissie,
TimovieMan, Tim, Iznogood) Becky - leader
5 votes Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (Lady Kestrel, Tim,
Chrissie, furgotten, Iznogood) Iznogood - leader
4 votes E.P.I.C: Wishmaster(TimovieMan, Tim, Becky, furgotten)
3 votes Depths of Betrayal (Tim, TimovieMan, furgotten)
2 votes Rite of Passage - Child of the Forest (Tim, Becky)
2 votes F.A.C.E.S. (Lady Kestrel, Tim)
2 votes Time Dreamer (Tim, TimovieMan)
1 vote 9: The Dark Side (TimovieMan)
1 vote Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison (Becky)
1 vote Urban Legends: The Maze (Tim)
1 vote House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame (Tim)
1 vote Dreamland (Tim)
1 vote Nearwood (Becky)

If there is no objection, I’m going to close the voting.

Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek and Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood will be combined into a single playthrough with Becky leading the first game and Iznogood leading the second. Thank you to both for volunteering.

Becky will post the approximate playthrough schedule for the first game here, and open the playthrough thread. I’m sure TimovieMan will be right behind her to pin the thread.

As always, you don’t need to have nominated or voted for a game in order to join the playthrough. Everyone is welcome.

I already have the games loaded, so I am ready to go. This should be fun.

It will also serve as a good experiment in streamlining the process. If two related games can be played without the need to go through a nomination/vote process, it might make it more enjoyable for more people to participate.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I re-downloaded my copy of Maple Creek and am ready to go.  I have the CE edition of this one but don’t remember a thing about it.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just saying….

This is the third time my E.P.I.C. Wishmaster has finished in second place. I’m so glad that with this playthrough the last of its rivals will be out of the way. (Hope that doesn’t sound too much like Diego and JP2.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 November 2014 08:30 PM

I re-downloaded my copy of Maple Creek and am ready to go.  I have the CE edition of this one but don’t remember a thing about it.

I played the CE edition of both games and don’t remember anything that added any information that would help the player. (One of the reasons I rarely purchase CEs.) Both games stand on their own. Although, you do get a bit more information by playing them in proper sequence.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 November 2014 05:53 PM

That sounds good!  I was wondering if we could have a somewhat quicker pace for these playthroughs.

Do people agree that a faster pace would be good? Was there anyone who thought the Phantasmat pace was actually too fast? (I don’t want to rush people either.)

For the Phantasmat playthrough, I broke the game up into 1-hour playing segments, and gave players two days to finish each one.

If you want a faster pace for Maple Creek, I could break the game into bigger pieces, still played every-other-day. Or I could keep the pieces shorter, but play one short piece daily. Any preferences between these two?

I bought the CE version of both Maple Creek and Mists of Ravenwood, and I was glad I did. Both take you back into the past and provide some interesting backstory. (I’m a big fan of interesting backstory.)

I’ll be replaying Maple Creek on my own today to find logical stopping points for each part of the playthrough.  If all goes well, I expect to start the actual playthrough on Monday, November 17.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Actually, I think the Phantasmat playthrough had a great pace. You can’t go too fast either, or we’d have a lot less discussion about the game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Iznogood - 14 November 2014 06:27 PM

So I guess it is settled then, Becky start with Maple Creek and then I take over and continue with Reavenwood?

Yes, looks like it’s settled.  Laughing

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 15 November 2014 10:28 AM

Actually, I think the Phantasmat playthrough had a great pace. You can’t go too fast either, or we’d have a lot less discussion about the game…

Agree, also two days for each part is the absolute minimum as I see it, not everybody has time to play each day. In fact I think I would personally prefer 3 days per part and then instead have slightly larger parts, but that also depends on where the natural break points are.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Iznogood - 15 November 2014 05:11 PM
TimovieMan - 15 November 2014 10:28 AM

Agree, also two days for each part is the absolute minimum as I see it, not everybody has time to play each day. In fact I think I would personally prefer 3 days per part and then instead have slightly larger parts, but that also depends on where the natural break points are.

I’ll go along with whatever works the best for everyone.  It’s just that I hate to stop when I’m on a roll.  Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When I did Angelica, I did three days per part. And it seemed to lag. Everyone wanted to move forward. And so we sped things up by putting more material into each part.

Final pacing was OK, but could have been better.

I thought the pacing of Phantasmat was perfect. Most people did the daily hour and spent the second day discussing what transpired.

I think Becky’s decision to break up the game this way was perfect.

Unfortunately, not all games lend themselves to such an easy chapter breakdown. And these two games are ones that don’t fit the mold.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 15 November 2014 07:20 PM

It’s just that I hate to stop when I’m on a roll.  Wink

I feel your pain! I mean, I know exactly what you mean.

Sometimes, if you can’t wait to see what’s going to happen, it’s okay to read ahead in the book or play ahead in the playthrough.

Please officially ignore the previous statement.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Shhhh!  Don’t tell but [spoiler]I already have[/spoiler].

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 14 November 2014 06:32 PM

Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek and Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood will be combined into a single playthrough with Becky leading the first game and Iznogood leading the second.

Since I bought both of these some time ago, I’ll probably play along.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 15 November 2014 05:11 PM

In fact I think I would personally prefer 3 days per part and then instead have slightly larger parts, but that also depends on where the natural break points are.

Per my Angelica post, I think three days is best, but a lot of material needs to be packed into the chapter. That said, I also think ten days, but no more than fifteen is optimum for a casual playthrough. Again, my Angelica was seven chapters at three days each. Twenty-one days was far too long.

We will learn what works best. We’ve only played two games so far. Hardly enough time to perfect our “craft.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 16 November 2014 07:55 PM

We will learn what works best. We’ve only played two games so far. Hardly enough time to perfect our “craft.”

Are most casuals 4-to-6 hours long on a first (thorough) playthrough? Because that would actually allow us to find a good time-table that works.
Regular AGs can be anything from 6 hours to 20+ hours, so every game needs its own unique time-table. Not the case here it seems…

Completing a casual playthrough in about two weeks, split across 4-5 sessions, sounds ideal to me. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top