• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m sorry that Alawar imposes all these extras—thanks to everyone who did try to purchase or download the game, and reported back about it.

I’ll start the Time Dreamer playthrough on Monday if that’s the best outcome.

NOTE: For those wanting to join the Time Dreamer playthrough, the game is available for purchase at Big Fish Games.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 03 January 2015 01:06 PM

I’ve tried again with the game - this time I registered 1st then downloaded the game. On installing it there is a ‘skip’ button to avoid agreeing to the Alawar search engine (hopefully?) & I can now play the demo (in theory!). To purchase the game (& it’s only at this point the site tells you how much it is!) you click on something like ‘remove time limit’ but clicking on the Paypal option & then ‘Pay’ doesn’t work!

The site is absolute rubbish & tells you nothing about pricing unless you want to pay for a subscription but if you want to go ahead with the game I (in theory) can play the demo in the hope that I might be able to buy the rest of the game when the demo finishes! The site tries to fob all this other stuff on you & I think they’re keen to sell their 1 day subscription for $1 because if you fail to unsubscribe within 24 hours you will be relieved of $24.99 (or something like that) for a month’s subscription! I’m not impressed with these kind of tactics but hopefully have avoided the worst from Alawar so far!

I’ll be interested to know how it works out. If you can write out a workaround that gets you to the point where you can purchase the game without the “Alawar-shit” as IZ calls it, maybe it can go back on the “playable” list.

I’ve contacted BFG customer service to see whether I could buy five or six copies of the game. I probably won’t hear from them until mid-week at the earliest. None of this makes much sense. If BFG has the game on their servers so that people who have already purchased the game can re-install it, then why are they not able to sell it? The only explanation I can think of is that there is no place to send the royalty checks. I.e. every company associated with the game is out of business. Selling the game under that circumstance is probably against the law. Doesn’t explain what Alawar is doing….

I’ll report back when I’ve heard from BFG. Now for Time Dreamer!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 03 January 2015 11:53 AM

The two questions that need answering are:

1. How many people either have Wishmaster on their computers or have it in their BFG purchase history. (I guess question 1.a. is whether the game will install from their purchase history.)

I just installed E.P.I.C. Wishmaster on my computer. I used the list of purchased games that’s inside the Big Fish Client to start the installation.

I don’t think anyone else who has it in their Big Fish “Purchase History” will have any trouble installing it other than the slow download speed. It took less time to download Whispered World yesterday. Tongue

Now to install Time Dreamer…

Well, Time Dreamer is also downloading slow, so it isn’t just Wishmaster that has that problem.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I didn’t have any problems with the download for Time Dreamer, so I’m ready to go.

Had to seriously amp the music, though, 100% compared to 50% for effects, just so it wouldn’t be too quiet.

I watched the intro but I’ll keep my WTF?-comment for the specific thread… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 03 January 2015 06:26 PM
chrissie - 03 January 2015 01:06 PM

To purchase the game (& it’s only at this point the site tells you how much it is!) you click on something like ‘remove time limit’ but clicking on the Paypal option & then ‘Pay’ doesn’t work!

I (in theory) can play the demo in the hope that I might be able to buy the rest of the game when the demo finishes!

I’ll be interested to know how it works out. If you can write out a workaround that gets you to the point where you can purchase the game without the “Alawar-shit” as IZ calls it, maybe it can go back on the “playable” list.

I played through the demo & although I have the whole of the game downloaded I am unable to buy the game. I’m guessing that you need the Alawar ‘browser’ which perhaps is equivalent to the BF client with a misleading label which indicates it’s more than that? But I was reading through Alawar’s terms & conditions which quite categorically state that they don’t guarantee that their downloads are free from viruses or other harmful elements. They also indicate that their site is not secure & info could be intercepted. Okay maybe other sites have similar disclaimers but any that care would start of by stating ‘while every precaution is taken to ensure security, the safety of downloads’ etc etc, Alawar don’t so I’m not inclined to purchase anything from that site & will be deleting the game!

If you don’t go ahead with Wishmaster I will certainly join in with Time Dreamer which I discovered is already in my purchase history at BF!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well I’m not going ahead with Wishmaster under current circumstances.

It’s ironic that Lady Kestrel didn’t vote for the game because it was not available for Mac. And it turns out that the only legitimate download of the game, (other than the ones previously purchased from BFG,) is a Mac version of the game available from G5 games.

As for other comments, in point two of my last post I said that it takes a minimum of 8-10 players for a good community playthrough. Wishmaster has, I think, five people who are capable of playing the game. Not enough.

If I had known what a colossal PITA this would become I would not have nominated the game. Sorry.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I will be catching up with the playthrough when I get back from my trip across the pond.  I’ve played the game before, but I don’t remember much about it, which is good from a replay point of view.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 04 January 2015 09:18 PM

Well I’m not going ahead with Wishmaster under current circumstances…..

....If I had know what a colossal PITA this would become I would not have nominated the game. Sorry.

No need to apologise Tim, it’s not your fault that the only source of the game (unless you originally bought it from Bf) is from a prominent CG site that markets it’s games with a lack of info to seemingly take as much advantage as possible hoping that every visitor is either lacking in intellect or so obsessed they don’t realise what a bunch of ‘*********’ are running it!    Cry

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve posted the Time Dreamer playthrough here.

Come and join us!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If I had know what a colossal PITA this would become I would not have nominated the game. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Alawar seems to be to blame here, not you.

The sad part is that this has made me even more curious, though. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 05 January 2015 11:57 AM

If I had know what a colossal PITA this would become I would not have nominated the game. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Alawar seems to be to blame here, not you.

The sad part is that this has made me even more curious, though. Tongue

It’s easy enough to access the Alawar website Tim - I’d be interested to know what you make of it? & it would also be useful to have another opinion apart from Izno’s & my own!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 05 January 2015 12:18 PM

It’s easy enough to access the Alawar website Tim - I’d be interested to know what you make of it? & it would also be useful to have another opinion apart from Izno’s & my own!

I went as far as the screen where you get to purchase the game. Having to download their software was slightly annoying, but BigFish has similar software (although a lot more informative and just plain better). I hadn’t seen anything else that was downloaded as well, but that could still come with the game.
It wouldn’t bother me too much if that happened, though. I clean my PC regularly of unnecessary/annoying programs.
I’m still up for Wishmaster.

But I totally get the decision to not go through with it now, and Alawar does seem dodgy, especially when compared to BigFish, so I get it if others lost interest as well…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

To the best of my ability to reconstruct what is going on, the following players have Wishmaster on their computers or can reload it from BFG: Me, Crabapple, Becky and furgotten. That’s four players.

The following people are willing to endure Alawar to get the game: TimovieMan and Lady Kestrel. (I’m including LK here because a Mac version is available from a reliable download site.) That’s two more players.

That gives us six players, and I don’t think that is enough to sustain a CCPT. If we can get up to eight, even though I consider that the bare minimum, it might be worth a go.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I’m on vacation in a beach and have limited internet access. So, can’t be part on a CCPT. Happy 2015 to everyone!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Vacationing on a beach sounds mighty fine. Soak up some sun for the rest of us! It’s freezing here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top