• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiegrizzlypantsKeybordzSefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #25:  Inherit the Earth

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You really only have to talk to the moneylender in the marketplace area, but the fortune teller will give you clues as to where to go next.  The hardware store is elsewhere.  Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve also installed the GOG version, and I’m happy to say it works pretty smooth so far. I like how Rif’s portrait changes due to his mood, similar to “I Have No Mouth”. Also, a thing I liked right at the beginning:

when I click “Open” on the medallion, Rif doesn’t give me a generic response (it’s not Edna & Harvey mind you, but it’s still a nice touch).

Lady Kestrel - 04 December 2013 04:12 PM

I do have maps I can upload.  Wink

Yes!! Just in case. Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve aquired the GOG version too, and if time allows it, I may join in on the discussion. I don’t dare make any promises as I managed, due to unforeseen events, to fall way behind on my previous two community playthrough attempts. Sorry about that Confused

I’m pretty sure I had this game back in the day without voice acting. It’s gonna be nice to experience it with voices.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

BTW is there a keyboard shortcut that lets me go straight to the last saved game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 05 December 2013 10:49 PM

BTW is there a keyboard shortcut that lets me go straight to the last saved game?

I don’t think so.  There’s nothing about it in the insert that comes with the CD.

By the way, you have probably realized by now that the default action is to walk, and clicking a verb button temporarily changes the default action.  Also, the verb in yellow indicates what will happen if you click the right mouse button instead.  I had forgotten this or would have mentioned it sooner.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I got the maps.

I’ll echo some of the complaints here, and they could have been easily avoided. The rat maze made sense the first time but having to repeat it multiple times was annoying, you only have 1 place to go… why not instant transport after reaching there the first time…
Having to go there to get “telescope” was so annoying - fetch quest at it’s worse.
The faire and ferret village could have been more playable if it was more zoomed out, still after finding the places it was simple.

Still, the lore is interesting The orb at the ferret village, what’s up with that, rat history, the story of the hunter dog. So I’m curious to see what lies ahead. I like the voice acting, and the humour is kind of hit-and-miss, but it’s some good light fun so far. The ferrets making me solve that puzzle and and then everybody giving hints Smile

Got stuck one time finding that stupid bucket in the garden, I kept wandering in the ferret village because it was full of buckets…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oh, I’ve just now read the Adventurer’s Guide! Nice!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 December 2013 07:52 PM

You really only have to talk to the moneylender in the marketplace area, but the fortune teller will give you clues as to where to go next.  The hardware store is elsewhere.  Smile

There is only one thing I think I haven’t done at the faire. I’ve talked to all the characters. I’ve received the coins from the money lender, and I’ve talked to the fortune teller, but I have been unable to find a building with a soft bed. They all have hard beds.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2013 11:39 AM
Lady Kestrel - 05 December 2013 07:52 PM

There is only one thing I think I haven’t done at the faire. I’ve talked to all the characters. I’ve received the coins from the money lender, and I’ve talked to the fortune teller, but I have been unable to find a building with a soft bed. They all have hard beds.

I think you misunderstood the fortune teller.  I believe she was asking Rif to share hers.  Smile  Go ahead and proceed to the scene of the crime.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, with that in mind I went beyond the faire. I traded the coins for plaster. I met the Keeper of the Orb who asked for proof. I met the Boar King and picked up a ring. And I now find myself lost in the rat maze. This particular type of puzzle is one that I have hated since…well since forever.

I’ve also read in a prior post that this particular puzzle must be re-navigated every time. If there is a puzzle that would tempt me to pull the plug, this is it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have just finished the first part and have the map now, so let me post a few thoughts about this game:

OMG this game is 99% about walking!!

It seem like the formula they used to make this game is something like:
1) Walk around exploring the place, talk to everybody you meet and interact with the few objects you can actually interact with.
2) Walk to whatever place the game tells you to, preferable two or three times back and forth, and talk to the person the game told you to talk to.

Not much in the form of thinking about what you have to do or actually solving any puzzles Frown With few exceptions, the games seem to solve itself as long as you go to the right places.

Okay there are also some good things to say, the dialogues are often funny and well written, the voice acting is fine and there seems to be an interesting story and lore behind it all, and apart from all that damn walking it is somewhat entertaining.

Truth be told, if it wasn’t for this CP then I would have thrown it in the garbage can by now, but I will persevere and stay in this CP.

(And who knows it might get better later, though the walking does seem to be a major theme)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Regarding the isometric perspective then I don’t mind that at all, in general I like games that uses this perspective. But it could have been made better and like most others here, I do wish it would be possible to zoom out a bit so you can see more of the area.

HandsFree - 04 December 2013 03:44 PM

Funny how they call the humans ‘humans’ but keep refering to eachother as ‘people’. Intentional or mistake?

Definitely intentional, humans and people are not synonyms. Human refers to the human race, whereas people refer to anyone considered… well “people” regardless of the actual species. It is a distinction you also often see in SF that contain multiple species.

crabapple - 04 December 2013 08:44 PM

At least I found the setting to turn off the music.

I also got very tired of the music very fast and quickly turned it completely off.

RayB - 05 December 2013 05:27 PM

The rats’ perception of their relationship with humans is darkly amusing.

Yeah that was also one of the highlights for me.

RayB - 05 December 2013 05:27 PM

I haven’t given it a whole lot of thought, that being the intro where it describes the nature of the gifts imparted to the animals possibly as a result of some unknown cataclysmic event leading to the total demise of the human population.

Perhaps, but I don’t think so.
Later it is told that the humans have ascended to the cloud, and Tycho tells us they have moved to the moon. It most likely just means they (we) have left the earth to go into space. But I will bet that we will discover more about this during the game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2013 07:10 PM

I’ve also read in a prior post that this particular puzzle must be re-navigated every time. If there is a puzzle that would tempt me to pull the plug, this is it.

Yup, you’ll have to do this a lot. You need to do it only twice, but I might have done it 5-6 times, since I went there every time I was stuck. There is actually a very short and direct route to get there (straight from the enterance, into the huge library room, exit the other side and go right to enter the circular hall. From the other side, go down, left, and straight up). Once you find that it is fairly easy to go multiple times.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2013 07:10 PM

As I mentioned before, I do have a map if it gets to frustrating for anyone.  Just let me know

By the way, in the rat tunnels you pass through the sundial room.  In the original floppy disk version, a rat would ask Rif questions there, the answers to which would be found in the manual.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would appreciate the map. But there is no manual in my GOG version.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top