• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyGabrielJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #25:  Inherit the Earth

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve managed to get the 15 tokens/coins. That’s as far as I was able to make it tonight.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-11-29

PM

So far, so good. I’m still trying to get used to the isometric perspective, especially since the isometrically represented locations have so far been rather large. However, it appears that the points of interest in such locations can usually be reached by following the foot-paths. I hope I’m right in making this assumption though!

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Alrighty, I’ve got the map to the wild lands Smile

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

This part wasn’t all that long, which is good because I dont have a whole lot of time and I was worried I might not be able to finish. My guess is that it’s taken me somewhere around 4 hours so far.

I was initially put off by the huge amount of walking around. There are just a few places of interest on each section and there is a lot of walking around to find them. I initially missed a couple of spots, and spent a lot of time opening unnecessary doors. But once you know where the places of interest are, then you can quickly go to them and the game progresses much faster.

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Duke - 04 December 2013 04:54 AM

However, it appears that the points of interest in such locations can usually be reached by following the foot-paths. I hope I’m right in making this assumption though!

So far, I think that is quite accurate. The only place where that doesnt work is in the rat tunnels

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Good grief… The moron who came up with the idea for those gigantic isometric environments with nothing to do in them except getting lost needs to get disembowelled. And people complain about Syberia…

My progress so far…

* I got lost in the faire
* I got hit on by a cat
* I got swindled by a mole
* I got lost some more
* I got lost in some place with giant rabbits
* I got kicked out of a temple by some cunty cat lady and told to see the king
* I got lost again in the rabbit-place
* I tried to go to some castle, thinking the king might be there; turns out it’s not his castle, so I decided to go elsewhere
* I tried to go to a village, thinking that king-person might be there, and am currently in the process of getting lost some more

Why am I even playing this game???

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Got the map too. So far I like it. While I don’t care much for that isometric view, whatever that means, I got used to it somewhat. I just wish they had zoomed out a bit more so you can see where you are.
For me it has a nice balance between free exploration and guidance, although it leans a bit much on the latter.
The voiceacting sounds good to my non-English ears.
Funny how they call the humans ‘humans’ but keep refering to eachother as ‘people’. Intentional or mistake?

At some points I wish there was more to do though. Sometimes the game just solves the problems for you, like when you’re supposed to find out what a lightcatcher was actually called. You just go where the game tells you to go and that’s it.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Aaaaand I’m done with this game. The writing is atrocious, as is the most of the voice acting, and the gameplay seems to consist mostly of getting lost and talking to obnoxious characters. And don’t get me started on that annoying soundtrack looping every ten seconds.

I’ve been curious about this game for a while (I think I might actually have been the one who first suggested it for a community playthrough long ago), but I now consider my curiosity sated. Clearly, this is not a game for me and I have better things to do with my life than waste my time on games that make me want to throw my computer out of the window.

Have fun the playthrough, guys. Smile

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Despite the fact that you can walk almost anywhere, it is a fairly linear game, and I agree that it would have been better if you could zoom out a bit to see the lay of the land. 

If anyone gets completely lost, like Kurufinwe the Curmudgeon, I do have maps I can upload.  Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m remembering why I never got too far when I first tried to play this game.
Navigation in this game is too much like a maze.
Maps might help.
At least I found the setting to turn off the music.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Don’t have Milk and Cookies. Have Vodka and Cheese dip. Think I need the latter more than the former. I’m trying to figure out what I need to do other than endless wandering through the tents.

I have not played this game before, so I was unfamiliar with the interface. I don’t like it right now. But maybe I will get used to it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 December 2013 03:15 PM

Good grief… The moron who came up with the idea for those gigantic isometric environments with nothing to do in them except getting lost needs to get disembowelled.

I guess once you figure out the 2 places on every map that are useful, then you will stop getting lost. After that point the game becomes very linear, you just go back and forth between various characters to solve the majority of the puzzles.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 December 2013 04:03 PM

Aaaaand I’m done with this game.

I’m sorry it doesn’t appeal to you, Kuru.  Perhaps the next one will be more to your liking.  In the meantime you should try some of that honey on a stick.  Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I’m nowhere near completion of the first chapter but the first thing I really needed to progress the story was found at the last location I chose to seek.

I don’t know if it makes any difference (i.e. exploring all dialogue options) but in the end I chose not to piss off the moneychanger in the fairgrounds.

I’ve played a few ‘other’ games with this type of isometric style, however, usually the field of view is larger whereas with this game it can be frustrating to maintain bearings on your whereabouts. One specific example being the first time I ventured into the ferret village and the fact that it took considerable effort and frustration in finding my way back to the main map. (uhg!)

I can see that the writing does make an attempt to maintain a light humorous attitude, but I generally don’t like to be a critic. (Really? knockers…) One exception though comes to mind upon my first visit to the Rat cave and in the conversation with the ‘receptionist’ on rat history. The rats’ perception of their relationship with humans is darkly amusing.

I had some issues with the game’s color crashing to something barely perceptible so I changed to XP compatibility and so far it seems to have gone away. (I hope, knock-knock)

I haven’t given it a whole lot of thought, that being the intro where it describes the nature of the gifts imparted to the animals possibly as a result of some unknown cataclysmic event leading to the total demise of the human population.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it out of the fairgrounds. Options abound as I see a map. But, reading through the posts, I’m not sure I have accomplished everything I need to do. Example: Someone mentioned trading the coins I have for plaster at the Hardware tent. I never found that tent. Or is in not a tent, but a location at another map point?

Is the game open ended, or is it linear where you cannot leave a location until your have accomplished all there is to accomplish at that location? As I’ve not played the game before, I don’t know.

I can easily see why a first-time player would get very frustrated, very quickly! I’m pretty frustrated right now, but that is what the Community in the CPT is for, I guess.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top