• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I agree with Tim, Carrasco should be a starter, and more than that - Belgium should play with 2 forwards, it can even be Benteke/Lukaku. I’d also put Dembele in the first 11. This was the best match so far, I heard Ireland - Sweden was also good, didn’t see that one.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 13 June 2016 05:05 PM

I heard Ireland - Sweden was also good, didn’t see that one.

Not really, it was Ireland playing much better most of the match and Sweden tying with an own goal caused by the inevitable Ibrahimovic.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 13 June 2016 04:59 PM

What happened Timovieman?

The same thing that happens in every match they’ve played these past years: our offense plays too slowly, so they can’t break apart the others’ defense, and our own defense is asleep at the wheel and gets surprised a few times per match.

And a lot of it is down to the coach, imo. The one who insists on playing Vermaelen (despite Vermaelen not playing a single second all year in Barcelona), Lukaku (who doesn’t fit our technical football style - he needs to run and he so seldomly can), Fellaini (sacrificing both De Bruyne and Hazard’s favourite and best position for a mere “useful asset in set pieces but useless all other times” player), Witsel (who’s having a bad season) and Hazard (who’s never been worth a damn when playing for the National side).
But Carrasco, Origi, Mertens, Dembele, Denayer and Batshuayi are stuck on the bench, and he never even called up Musonda Jr. (who just passed a very successful loan spell at Betis), Chadli (who is still a better pick than Fellaini) and Ritchie De Laet (despite being in dire need of good defenders).

But at least the general public is catching on here, and this’ll be Wilmots’ last tournament as coach, imo.
Seriously, if we had Conte instead, we’d win the bloody tournament easily.

Wilmots is a great assistant coach, demanding a lot of respect with his status and playing career and he’s a perfect motivator for players, but as a head coach he lacks tactical insight, and has several cases of favouritism that hurt the squad.
We were behind and needed to switch things up, so he… subs Lukaku for Origi? Take out the striker, put in a forward???? What?

I’m convinced that a trained monkey would make a better Belgium coach, given the talent we have.

What went wrong? A world class team of players is always better than a team of world class players. We faced a team last night. We’re just a group of talented players. Underachieving talented players.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

TimovieMan - 14 June 2016 05:57 AM

A world class team of players is always better than a team of world class players.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Can I switch my prediction up and have Belgium exit before the quarter finals, and have Italy in the semis instead? Grin

Still convinced we’ll win against Sweden and Ireland, though. But not without difficulty.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A funny meme for today:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, Iceland just manhandled us and once again we couldn’t do much against a team that plays a more physical direct game.
Good first half, bad second. Iceland goal is an unbelievable scramble from the defense and after that we couldn’t do much against the Iceland defense wall.
I think the manager took too long to change some players. Ronaldo had a couple of chances he shouldn’t have missed

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Enjoyable EU so far with some surprises. Watched almost every single game up until now.
Unfortunately for me The Netherlands was not able to qualify so I put my hopes on the team that represents my second nationality: Turkey. Yeah… we have all seen how that will turn out.

My dark horse has been Iceland ever since the tournament started and great to see they equalized against Portugal.

@Diego I just noticed your message so was too late to fill in the predictions.

I am putting my money on Spain again.

@Wilco I noticed you predict Portugal to win it. Is that your honest prediction or are you Portuguese? It’s hard to see why anyone would put them as favourites. And this is not based on today’s performance.

EDIT: Ahhh…you’re Portuguese. Explains it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 14 June 2016 06:36 PM

@Wilco I noticed you predict Portugal to win it. Is that your honest prediction or are you Portuguese? It’s hard to see why anyone would put them as favourites. And this is not based on today’s performance.

EDIT: Ahhh…you’re Portuguese. Explains it.

Of course, no one in their right would predict that unless from Portugal Tongue

Still hoping for a better game against Hungary and Austria, too bad I couldn’t see their game today,

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

wilco - 14 June 2016 06:44 PM

Of course, no one in their right would predict that unless from Portugal Tongue

Still hoping for a better game against Hungary and Austria, too bad I couldn’t see their game today,

Portugal will 100% advance. Worst-case they end up third in the poule and will be one of the teams to advance that ended up third.
No worries.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Found a great podcast here - https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/footballweekly

They’re updating daily, summarize the action and analyse the upcoming matches.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 14 June 2016 06:44 PM

Entertaining match, could have gone either way.

There haven’t really been any boring matches yet. I’m quite liking the tournament.

Let’s just hope that the Russian and English hooligans behave themselves so we don’t get to see any tournament-destroying decisions…
Besides, you can’t punish a country and its fans for the actions of a bunch of people that are not fans at all but pretend to be so they can cause havoc.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=76&v=Ipg4oxNw2b4

Just hilarious.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

diego - 15 June 2016 04:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=76&v=Ipg4oxNw2b4

Just hilarious.

I thought he was going to dangle a baby from the balcony.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Didn’t see a single match today but from the highlights seems like there were some balanced matches. Fantastic goal by Hamsik vs Russia. France lucky to beat Albania at the very end, that was surprising.

@Abnaxus
Too bad about Romenia letting the victory slip at the second half, they can still go through if they beat Albania seems like might be a tough match, although Albania absolutely needing a win might open up the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top