• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #23: Obsidian

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I found the cubicle maze puzzle just as frustrating as I remembered it. Especially one of the vid-bots that seemed to lead me on a wild goose chase. I was sad to see that someone did not get a raise after all. Oh poo. For those who have solved that puzzle you might concur that: it’s easier if you don’t start at the main entrance where you get your cards as you can walk around the outside and see into all the outside perimeter cubicles which have separate entrances with the obvious exception. This is good as it gives an opportunity to do some pre-planning. Of course I didn’t figure that out in a timely fashion because I accidently exited the maze from the inside but if you do that you can’t re-enter another door and must start over at the main entrance.

I couldn’t help notice that some of you have manuals and though I imagine you resisted the temptation it was hard to notice what was printed on the back page.  Shifty Eyed

I like what Dara said about the manual with regard to the section on tips. It’ a great tool to assist in acclimating to how your head needs to works (thanks chrissie) Smile

One thing is clear though, the next assignment is going to be waaaaaaaaay harder. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TerminusEst - 28 July 2013 01:57 PM

(Sadly, Timovieman has been MIA but he has good reasons. I hope he manages to catch up.)

Sadly, TimovieMan hasn’t had a single quiet session of a few hours to play Obsidian (and I don’t want to play it in 15 minute intervals).
As often happens, I get LESS time to play games when I have time off from work, than when I have a regular workweek… Frown

Still: filled with good intentions and hopes that I can catch up. I don’t want to rush the game, though (although I have a feeling that wouldn’t be possible even if I wanted to). Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah, the sound isn’t fixed. I don’t really know what to do, I’ve just tried fiddling it back and forth in hopes that it would bounce back but no luck. I didn’t touch anything else so it certainly did get fucked up there.

Will see if I can bother installing the whole VirtualBox again.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Millenia, sorry to hear your sound is still bad.  Sometimes I spend so much time trying to fix glitches that I could have reintalled in half the time.  I think I just don’t like to let it get the better of me.

Has anyone else gotten the “bring me the blue pages” that Sefir mentioned?  I would certainly like to hear it.  I’ve played through the Bureau office again and thought I’d exhausted all the videos but no luck.  I wonder if it’s somewhere else?

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Dara100 - 28 July 2013 04:27 PM

Has anyone else gotten the “bring me the blue pages” that Sefir mentioned?  I would certainly like to hear it.  I’ve played through the Bureau office again and thought I’d exhausted all the videos but no luck.  I wonder if it’s somewhere else?

Have you tried talking to all the vidbots on the Atlas face (this is the first side of the cube you have access to)?

More spoilerish, you need to talk to the Sources vidbot - the one between Hints and Travel.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I didn’t find my WinXP so I tried fiddling with the slider more and I got the human voices sounding about right. But when I went further the music is still obviously stammering. I even checked a video walkthru to compare it just in case it was some weird composition.

It is strange, some of the sounds work just fine. I guess I’ll still need to risk losing even the current settings. The sound world is a big part of the immersion, this is really annoying.

So to anyone else thinking of touching the processor execution cap in VirtualBox: DO NOT. Rather check fast scrolling things from the web or something.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Ah-ha! 

Thought I’d been there, but maybe not, or at least I hadn’t gone through all the videos.

Thanks TerminusEst!

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Nooooo! I updated VirtualBox, installed another VM and it’s the same. I mean, the better version but still something didn’t sound right. Bah, I guess I’ll need to go with this and hope these stuttering spots are rare and less noticeable. All this work in vain…

Entered the bureau now and will leave it at that. Maybe I’ll finally be lucky and get forward without hiccups tomorrow or the day after or whenever I have the time again.

About the forest part, putting on spoilers though I think this is so early in the game and hardly a revelation that it would actually bother anyone.

I didn’t even realise that I was the woman from the PDA until the end of the section. I was, right? Smile I even saw the reflection but I only thought she looked a bit like Scully. Then after I heard the scream and realised it was the same dude who went a bit ahed and left that message. Forgot their names already with all this fiddling, will have to at least check them again. For some reason I thought that I was just totally someone else who found the tent after the scientists went missing - probably a good while ago. Well, play and learn.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

millenia - 28 July 2013 06:27 PM

I didn’t even realise that I was the woman from the PDA until the end of the section. I was, right? Smile I even saw the reflection but I only thought she looked a bit like Scully. Then after I heard the scream and realised it was the same dude who went a bit ahed and left that message. Forgot their names already with all this fiddling, will have to at least check them again. For some reason I thought that I was just totally someone else who found the tent after the scientists went missing - probably a good while ago. Well, play and learn.

Thumbs Up

There are a few other hints here and there: e.g. being able to log into the PDA via its retinal scan, and the Bureau Chief addressing you as Lilah. (The other name is Max BTW.)

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Now that the heat wave has broken I decided to re-install the game on XP and see if I can tell what the screen aspect ratio is supposed to look like without virtual this or that. Starting with the monitor native resolution it resets to 800 x 600 at med. color depth by itself and not surprisingly appears just as it did with VPC except on a larger screen. None of the circles on the PDA appear distorted so I guess I’ve answered my own concerns about this. The only benefit I noticed was that the PDA could be controlled more easily by tapping the mouse button. Aside from that the game seems to play just as well on VPC so I have no inclination to start over.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TerminusEst - 28 July 2013 01:57 PM

Finally, without spoiling too much, what do you guys think of the Bureau? To me this chapter is one of the most original and mind-bending pieces of gaming I’ve ever experienced.

It’s about what I expected - very good and very fun! I’m surprised you don’t think it’s similar to Bureaucracy. There’s a lot of Douglas Adams-ish stuff here, in my impression, especially in the logic of the puzzles. Although Obsidian is much easier. Thank God Content

chrissie - 28 July 2013 10:20 AM

No Zifnab, the manual is not critical - the clues are all within the game! It’s just a matter of how your head works - unfortunately mine doesn’t! If you’re stuck I can quote, in spoilers of course, the hint in the manual without including the solution if you’d like?

That would be excellent chrissie! Thanks!  Laughing

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi Zifnab, here is the hint quoted from the manual for the Phone Puzzle: Use the “Limitation” document to help visualise the unfolded cube in it’s original three dimensions.
Think of the sliders as three dimensional planes extending out from each wall. Now search for an intersection of those three planes that will designate the Bureau Chief’s office.

Hope you can make some sense of that!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Ok thanks, although I think I already knew I needed to do that. I’m a tiny bit worried that you said the solution didn’t make much sense, but I haven’t used a walkthrough yet so I’m going to keep trying Wink

No one else is stuck here? The color card maze was easy compared with this.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 29 July 2013 02:43 AM

No one else is stuck here?

Let’s just say that from the 8-10 hours I spent in the Bureau world, the 5 where spent on the phone/slider puzzle. I figured the solution in the end however….

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I just got it… apparently randomly. I still don’t get how it works. Oh well, on we go.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top