• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #23: Obsidian

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Just got started - finally - and already have problems. I have the PDA bug and I tried to fiddle with the VirtualBox settings, which worked. Except now all the videos have helium voices even if I switch it back. At first notice it was rather hilarious but I’m a bit too tired to get all the hiccups to work. I guess I try to look the text and the videos on separate occasions but it’s already painful like that. So I think I need to stop after this forest sequence just so I don’t get too annoyed with the game.

Yeah, even rebooting the Virtual XP didn’t work, helium voices still there. I think I’ll hit the bed and hope actual computer reboot will have fixed this in the morning.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I never did figure out how to solve my display issue with VPC Win98. The introductory screens display correctly at full screen with the display set at 640 x 480. However, as soon as the forest screen (or any other in-game) appears the display changes to approximately 640 x 354 which makes it now seem slightly windowed on the horizontal as well. Not a big deal, I can live with it as it doesn’t affect gameplay but it is still odd. Perhaps it has something to do with AMD catalyst control center but that seems doubtful. 
Meh

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-01-03

PM

And…done. Almost as much fun as the first time, so far. I love the incidental stuff as much as the puzzles themselves. Like the access card robot’s change in response to you as you fail the maze again and again. Or the various robots in the maze, the psychiatrist, the chatty photo sharer, etc.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TerminusEst - 26 July 2013 02:30 PM

As for exiting: hit Esc and then Quit. Also:

TerminusEst - 18 July 2013 11:12 AM

You can be direct and Alt-F4 out of the game after a save. Or you can take the proper exit door via the Quit button and hit Space to skip the credits.

Thank you - I’ve since seen that it has already been mentioned a few times in the thread & need to pay more attention!

I’ve got through the forest part - I was lucky with the scrolling on the PDA, it wasn’t perfect but I found with juggling between the up & down buttons I was able to read everything. The problem I have now is that I was unable to save the game - idiot-proof instructions needed anyone please!

EDIT: I’ve got it!

I’ve been wandering around The Bureau for about an hour now trying things out, getting very dizzy & starting to feel really thick - I’m completely useless at these type of games! But, oh joy!, I’ve just discovered I’ve got a game manual with some very handy tips in it!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

So..has anyone made any progress in the Bureau yet? I’m feeling like chrissie, very thick in the head. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game which wants me to fail so badly!

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Oscar - 28 July 2013 03:51 AM

So..has anyone made any progress in the Bureau yet? I’m feeling like chrissie, very thick in the head. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game which wants me to fail so badly!

Where exactly have you been stuck Oscar? (I thought that an automaton would feel like home in a bureau world Wink )

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well yes, assuming said bureau world makes sense. So (thinking out loud) I would guess me, chrissie and zifnab need to find a way to get the ‘standard’ and ‘damage’ forms in a single form. Seeing there’s no way to pick up the forms, so they can’t be combined, some other possible solutions I’ve thought of are:
1. A form filed under another name. Stamage? Dandard?
2. The computer is useless but maybe there’s some way to fix it.
3. Some random door in a part of the complex we’ve missed that has the answers we seek.
4. The solution is far simpler and I’m overthinking things.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 28 July 2013 05:36 AM

Well yes, assuming said bureau world makes sense. So (thinking out loud) I would guess me, chrissie and zifnab need to find a way to get the ‘standard’ and ‘damage’ forms in a single form. Seeing there’s no way to pick up the forms, so they can’t be combined, some other possible solutions I’ve thought of are:
1. A form filed under another name. Stamage? Dandard?
2. The computer is useless but maybe there’s some way to fix it.
3. Some random door in a part of the complex we’ve missed that has the answers we seek.
4. The solution is far simpler and I’m overthinking things.

I’ve played for a few hours this morning with more of a grip on the game world which now seems less mind-boggling! I did manage to get the form but confess to using the hints in the game manual! Out of your possible solutions Oscar No 1 is in the right direction! It is of course filed in the area where things are filed & there is at least one working computer which can help!

One of my favourite puzzles so far is the Cubicle Maze once I’d worked out what to do!

I’m now stuck again - I’ve just heard a voice to ask me to meet some-one & they want me to turn the lights off! I’m off now to wander around some more!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m ahead of you already Chrissie, I figured it out just after I posted. Got stuck again at the phone-device so I think I’ll pick it up again tomorrow. Good day’s progress anyway Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m now stuck again - I’ve just heard a voice to ask me to meet some-one & they want me to turn the lights off! I’m off now to wander around some more!

I’ve now moved on from there - it was easier than I expected until I got to the phone puzzle! I just don’t have a 3D head so although the numbers to enter were obvious I couldn’t work out where to put the sliders & used the solution in the manual! I don’t mind cheating on a puzzle if it’s one that doesn’t interest me but I hate not understanding how it works - I’ve since looked up a detailed description of the puzzle & still don’t entirely get it - doh!

I wasn’t very impressed with the rock but finally got to where I needed to get to go.

I’m now in another environment & as there are no more tips in the manual (aargh!) I’m wondering whether I’m in the next chapter?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Huh. I’m starting to regret not owning a manual now. Are any of these tips critical? Do I have a hope at solving the phone puzzle without the manual?  Meh

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

No Zifnab, the manual is not critical - the clues are all within the game! It’s just a matter of how your head works - unfortunately mine doesn’t! If you’re stuck I can quote, in spoilers of course, the hint in the manual without including the solution if you’d like?

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Chrissie, you’re on another chapter if you’re on the factory floor.

I’ve been trying to be a good girl and not go any further, but it’s soooo tempting!

Zifnab, there are walkthroughs on line that can help if you get really stuck, but the manual is not helpful through the whole game, it’s just to get you started.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Dara - I seem to be on a factory floor so will wait before going any further!

NB The manual seems to be more helpful for certain puzzles but not these ones: I spent well over an hour on the clock puzzle & the solution didn’t work but helped to put me in the right direction! It was the same with the cubicle maze - that solution didn’t work either but got me enough in the right direction to work it out!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Ok, guys! This is your half-time warning: you have only a week left to beat the Forest and Bureau Realms. How will you know that you’ve done that? Simple: Lilah will be transported to a new location that is not the Bureau with no obvious way back to the Bureau.

From what I can tell, most of you are progressing nicely—you are either done or are rapidly adjusting to the logic of the game, and that makes me happy. (Sadly, Timovieman has been MIA but he has good reasons. I hope he manages to catch up.)

The speed of the Playtrough has been quite satisfactory so I am thinking we can tackle each of the remaining Realms in a week each. Let’s pencil that in for now.

Finally, without spoiling too much, what do you guys think of the Bureau? To me this chapter is one of the most original and mind-bending pieces of gaming I’ve ever experienced. The organic puzzles, the unusual gravitational arrangement, the obstinately bureaucratic and unhelpful vidbots, the atmosphere of institutional oppression and paranoia (fear the circle!) that it all creates… A piece of genius!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top