• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #23: Obsidian

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This would be my second replay.  Having the fmv walk you to Obsidian rekindles exciting memories.  Dara’s post reminded me of playing Myst for the first time.  No internet, no hints. Twice we snuck over to the local, now-departed B. Dalton bookstore where they had two Myst hint books for sale.  My late h. and I did not trust ourselves to bring that book home (and become serial cheaters), so I stood watch at the book rack while my h. kneeled down and read the solution that we needed.  Sounds silly, but those were the days.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Bonsai - 21 July 2013 04:26 PM

Sounds silly, but those were the days.

Not silly at all. I remember having a few of the old Sierra hint books, LSL if I recall, (with the red plastic decoder window) which I would give to a co-worker for safekeeping. I was thus limited to just one hint per day when necessary therefore making the game last much longer.  Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

And done.

I’ll post more thought at a later point. For the moment, I’ll just note that I had forgotten just how brutally hard Obsidian can be. The puzzle with the cards is particularly evil.

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

It sure is. I think this is the point where I gave up on my original playthrough. Thank goodness for second chances. I’ve got an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper to try and map out each entry code with the resulting exchanges of cards, hopefully I will be able to plot this maze with a more technical approach rather than spending hours of random choices.  Foot in mouth

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

RayB - 22 July 2013 01:05 AM

It sure is. I think this is the point where I gave up on my original playthrough. Thank goodness for second chances. I’ve got an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper to try and map out each entry code with the resulting exchanges of cards, hopefully I will be able to plot this maze with a more technical approach rather than spending hours of random choices.  Foot in mouth

Yeah, this puzzle basically demands a pen-and-paper approach. Luckily, I still keep my notes from my first playthrough so I don’t need to map everything again.

It could have been worse though: what if every office had different card-locks at each of its door?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

RayB - 22 July 2013 01:05 AM

Well, mapping it out is easy enough (once you realize what the symbols on the floor mean); the biggest problem is finding the right path.

And of course, once you do find the trick, you want to slap yourself because [spoiler]you realize that the people at the desks told you exactly how to solve the puzzle.[/spoiler]  Pan

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Okay, I’m not sure what’s happened but I’m stuck in the forest realm. Is there something I’m supposed to do? I saved my game after having read about half the journal entries and now I can’t seem to access them anymore, and there’s nowhere else to go. Possible bug, or me being stupid?

edit: never mind, restarting fixed the problem. Seems it was a bug.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Finished the Bureau late Sunday night after a duh! moment when I realized I was aproaching the celestial puzzle all wrong.  (Funny, I didn’t have much trouble with the office once I vaguely remembered the tricksy part).   The rest went pretty quickly. 

TerminusEst, I just read the last two pages of the “Time for a new playthrough?” thread and was surprised that it was still active.  I see you were waiting for me to reply while I was waiting for the announcement of the Obsidian playthrough.  Sorry about that. Smile 

Perhaps for the next game we should start a thread for the new game right away and set a proposed start date.  That way all the remaining obtaining it-getting-it-running problem solving would be in one place for present and future reference.  That way the game moderator would still have time to flesh out the game details.  Just a thought.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Dara100 - 23 July 2013 12:06 PM

TerminusEst, I just read the last two pages of the “Time for a new playthrough?” thread and was surprised that it was still active.  I see you were waiting for me to reply while I was waiting for the announcement of the Obsidian playthrough.  Sorry about that. Smile

Don’t even worry about it Smile I figured not everyone was going to see my roll call. And, anyway, this (past) Sunday was the best time to start (for me) so that didn’t change anything.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Started the Bureau world today.
I’m still laughing with the terminal that told me “Bring me Blue pages!!” Grin

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Just finished the Bureau world. It’s been some time since the last time I played a proper game of that style (TSB perhaps? ). Loved all the riddles so far. Strangely enough, while I hate mazes, I figured my way out of this one quite easily. The riddles that gave me most trouble was the admin phone axes position and (strangely) the file names decoding. Also, loved the game’s sense of humour within the dialogs so far and I hope it continues that way.

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I presume you don’t have to beat the mini-game??  Confused
I’ll try to finish Bureau World tonight, OK that is if my memory serves well enough.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-01-03

PM

Wow, I haven’t checked in on this forum in awhile, but my timing is great. Obsidian is easily one of my top three adventure games. I think I’ll join in. It’s been several years at least since I played through it, plus playing with a group will make even more interesting. Here’s hoping my brain isn’t too rusty; it’s been awhile since I played a game quite this abstract.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

This game isn’t going to give me nightmares, is it? Just checking.

(Maybe I should have checked before I bought it)

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Andromus - 23 July 2013 11:13 PM

Wow, I haven’t checked in on this forum in awhile, but my timing is great. Obsidian is easily one of my top three adventure games. I think I’ll join in. It’s been several years at least since I played through it, plus playing with a group will make even more interesting. Here’s hoping my brain isn’t too rusty; it’s been awhile since I played a game quite this abstract.

Your timing is indeed great—we just started two days ago. It’d be great if you join in—the more, the better!

Zifnab - 23 July 2013 11:20 PM

This game isn’t going to give me nightmares, is it? Just checking.

(Maybe I should have checked before I bought it)

Nah, you will be fine. You might have some weird dreams but not nightmares; there is nothing scary in the game.

BTW, should I take that as a sign that you’ve received your game disks? If so: welcome, welcome!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top