• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsKeybordzSpeedBoVeoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #23: Obsidian

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

RayB - 23 July 2013 05:38 PM

I presume you don’t have to beat the mini-game??

No, you don’t. After all, the game automatically restarts after you break all the bricks, so it goes on forever. But I bet none can beat my record with 4 consecutive “wins” on the mini-game.  Naughty

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TerminusEst - 23 July 2013 11:56 PM

BTW, should I take that as a sign that you’ve received your game disks? If so: welcome, welcome!

Why thankyou! Grin

Another question: Is there an inventory in this game?

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Zifnab - 24 July 2013 06:38 AM

No. Why? Grin

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Sefir - 24 July 2013 01:17 AM

I bet none can beat my record with 4 consecutive “wins” on the mini-game.  Naughty

Never thought to try that.  Now I will

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Sefir - 24 July 2013 01:17 AM
RayB - 23 July 2013 05:38 PM

I presume you don’t have to beat the mini-game??

No, you don’t. After all, the game automatically restarts after you break all the bricks, so it goes on forever. But I bet none can beat my record with 4 consecutive “wins” on the mini-game.  Naughty

That’s OK I’ll take your word on that. Laughing

TerminusEst - 24 July 2013 12:21 PM
Zifnab - 24 July 2013 06:38 AM

No. Why? Grin

I would count the item I was carrying (shown in bottom left corner of screen) as inventory although you don’t have much control over it. You can’t ‘examine it’ and it is used automatically so maybe not.

BTW does anyone know how many unique document cards there are in the system??

I’ve finished my business with the Bureau Chief on the bridge and it’s asking to insert disc three so I assume I’m caught up.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t started playing yet but hope to get to it in the next couple of days.  I just have to excavate my laptop from my junk room (aka library/guest room).  We’re having one of the bedrooms painted and some repairs done, so everything is in a new and different place for the duration.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve done the easy part & got the game discs! I don’t think I’m going to get this working on my Win 7 64 bit system? Otherwise I’ll swap to using my old XP for a few weeks - there’s a few other games I’d like to replay anyway which won’t work on Win 7!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

RayB - 24 July 2013 02:28 PM

I would count the item I was carrying (shown in bottom left corner of screen) as inventory although you don’t have much control over it. You can’t ‘examine it’ and it is used automatically so maybe not.

I don’t have any item in the bottom left corner. Should I be worried?

But no, the reason I ask about the inventory is that I did what I was told to do at the repairs booth get the document filed under standard damage and take it to the dept of pre-approvals but when I click on it, nothing happens.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 26 July 2013 06:29 AM

the reason I ask about the inventory is that I did what I was told to do at the repairs booth get the document filed under standard damage and take it to the dept of pre-approvals but when I click on it, nothing happens.

Perhaps you have the wrong document.
There is a doc named “standard” and a doc named “damage”. But it is impossible to find a doc named “standard damage”... Wink

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I have a feeling this game got a lot of its inspiration from Bureaucracy. I also have a feeling that, like Bureaucracy, I’m not going to get very far in Obsidian.

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Zifnab - 26 July 2013 09:14 AM

I have a feeling this game got a lot of its inspiration from Bureaucracy. I also have a feeling that, like Bureaucracy, I’m not going to get very far in Obsidian.

Well, the way I see it, one of the the purposes of a community playthrough is to extricate people when stuck. I won’t presume to start throwing hints around unbidden but do holler if you want a nudge. My feeling, however, is that the Standard Damage puzzle will click for you soon and that would switch your thinking to the mode required by Obsidian. Smile

P.S. I don’t really see Bureaucracy as an inspiration for Obsidian. Possibly a case of common inspiration? In any case, there is more to the game than the Bureau realm.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

chrissie - 26 July 2013 06:13 AM

I don’t think I’m going to get this working on my Win 7 64 bit system?

Hey chrissie.  Sefir and I both have win 7 64 bit and got this running with Virtual PC 2007 with little problem.

pm me if you need help Smile

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Bonsai - ideally I would have liked to have got Obsidian up & running on Win 7 but have since decided to send Win 7 on an extended holiday & have successfully installed the game (I think?) on an old XP! As mentioned earlier I want to replay a few games (which include Shady Brook & Shadows of Memories).

I’ve played a few minutes of Obsidian which takes me straight into a forest scene - it’s full screen, looks good (I’m sure someone mentioned Carol Reed?) & I’m very happy with the interface! (as a person that suffers from motion sickness).

Reading many of the posts I need to watch the You Tube video to get the story before I’m where I am? Also, how the hell do I exit out of this game???? (I used the task manager)

The only downside is that this XP is sooo slooow to do anything, but okay (hopefully) to play the game! I’m hoping to get started, stuck-in & catch up over the next few days!

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

chrissie - 26 July 2013 02:21 PM

Reading many of the posts I need to watch the You Tube video to get the story before I’m where I am? Also, how the hell do I exit out of this game???? (I used the task manager)

No need for that. The YouTube videos are necessary only if you have a particular scrolling bug—you will have to read something in the very beginning and the text scrolling is fast and skips text. (Or, as Kurufinwe pointed out, you can run a CPU-slowing app.)

As for exiting: hit Esc and then Quit. Also:

TerminusEst - 18 July 2013 11:12 AM

You can be direct and Alt-F4 out of the game after a save. Or you can take the proper exit door via the Quit button and hit Space to skip the credits.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I almost forgot! Welcome to the playthrough Grin

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Bonsai - 26 July 2013 12:17 PM

Sefir and I both have win 7 64 bit and got this running with Virtual PC 2007 with little problem.

pm me if you need help Smile

Same deal with me. Probably not everyone still has access to a Win98 or Win98SE disc but if not it wouldn’t hurt to ask around. I might have gone the Virtual Box route but the only XP disc I have came with a Dell computer and it says on the disc “Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer.”

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top