• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 02:37 PM
tsa - 03 June 2013 12:29 PM

So first you say you are not insulting and when someone points out that in fact you are, you hide behind the absence of certain forum rules? That’s cheap.

You guys are taking everything I say way too seriously.  If you could see the shit-eating grin on my face as I type these posts and read these responses, you’d feel a lot better about me, I bet.  You’d probably even want to take me out and buy me a beer.

I bet quite many of us thinks you are joking, at least partly. But this isn’t really the place for that kind of humour (these are more appropriate as inside jokes among real friends) and you don’t even bother adding that grinny smiley there to soften it a bit. Another thing that makes it harder to pass just as a joke is the fact that you are arguing about a serious issue: the oversexualization of women. It’s kinda hard to see when you joke and when you do not as you keep arguing how these games are degrading to women and then you joke about women.

Even this latest paragraph comes to us as you would be laughing to us, not with us.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

It’s best to interpret most of my posts as being tinged with sarcasm, unless otherwise stated.  But here, if it makes you feel better: Wink

On a more serious note, I really see the oversexualization of women in games as a serious issue, and I think that the screen caps of the FMV that have been posted here are just as guilty of it as, say, the bouncing-titted character model from A.R.K that I argued about a while ago.  The difference, of course, is that because it’s FMV, we’re talking about actual people, the way they are dressed, the way they have been made up, and in general the traits of their appearance that the game’s directors were looking for when they made their casting choices.  My colorful initial language aside, I have nothing against these women themselves—but I do have to wonder about the casting directors, and what their intent was with choosing this particular “look” for their female characters.  There is an overly made-up quality to these women (particularly the bone-thin, collagen-injected one in the most recently posted image) that makes them look fake and evokes a sense of cheapness.  Maybe that’s intentional, I don’t know.  I think it’s interesting, in any case.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 02:37 PM

You guys are taking everything I say way too seriously.  If you could see the shit-eating grin on my face as I type these posts and read these responses, you’d feel a lot better about me, I bet.  You’d probably even want to take me out and buy me a beer.

I’ll admit that you’ve rubbed me the wrong way quite a few times earlier, but either I’m beginning to understand your humour, or maybe I’m just getting some sort of depraved entertainment value out of how your posts allways tend to ruffle someones feathers with you (seemingly) not understanding why Tongue Anyway, just shout out whenever you’re in Norway, and I’ll buy you some mead Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 03:00 PM

There is an overly made-up quality to these women (particularly the bone-thin, collagen-injected one in the most recently posted image) that makes them look fake and evokes a sense of cheapness.

I’d say the women in this game run the gamut

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

In Tex it is purely intentional. It is noir from the tongue-in-cheek side, as far as you can go. And I love all kinds of women, in case of femme fatales I expect certain flair. Think about Jessica Rabbit and tell me she shouldn’t have so big boobs, red lips and sensual gentures.

Think about Mona in the community playthrough that is just starting: .

She’s ridiculous and she’s fantastic. I am a woman who has certainly had her share of unwanted attention and all these characters are just fine to me, really, they are not supporting an unhealthy image. All of these games are also humorous.

And I’m sure we could hit it off irl, my sense of humour is not the cleanest one either. It’s just not the same when all you see from another person are written words.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

millenia - 03 June 2013 03:21 PM

Think about Mona in the community playthrough that is just starting: .

She’s ridiculous and she’s fantastic. I am a woman who has certainly had her share of unwanted attention and all these characters are just fine to me, really, they are not supporting an unhealthy image. All of these games are also humorous.

Froderick does indeed makes some humorous comments about the “hourglass” style of women that Mona represents and how he prefers them differently! Smile

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Dag - 03 June 2013 03:04 PM

I’ll admit that you’ve rubbed me the wrong way quite a few times earlier, but either I’m beginning to understand your humour, or maybe I’m just getting some sort of depraved entertainment value out of how your posts allways tend to ruffle someones feathers with you (seemingly) not understanding why Tongue Anyway, just shout out whenever you’re in Norway, and I’ll buy you some mead Wink

Haha…welcome to the dark side!  Wink

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-11-23

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 03:00 PM

but I do have to wonder about the casting directors, and what their intent was with choosing this particular “look” for their female characters.  There is an overly made-up quality to these women (particularly the bone-thin, collagen-injected one in the most recently posted image) that makes them look fake and evokes a sense of cheapness.  Maybe that’s intentional, I don’t know.  I think it’s interesting, in any case.

when it comes to issues such as oversexulization of female characters and so forth, in this particular instance what needs to be remembered is that we simply don’t yet know what kind of characters are being portrayed.
It could be that the style and general demeanor of these particular characters are completely appropriate to the characters being portrayed, as well as appropriate to the tex series trademark stylistic choices in both art and narrative.

From just a few screen caps it’s way WAY to early to be commenting on issues such as oversexualization.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 10:28 AM

I am going to have to give these games a try though.  So far every experience I’ve ever had with FMV has been utterly sickening, so all this love for it here has got my interest peaked.  I’m still quite skeptical, however, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.  Smile

Since you’re skeptical, I would recommend you start with The Pandora Directive. Each adventure is reasonably standalone, and these days The Pandora Directive is generally agreed upon to be the overall best game, especially gameplay wise. Branching paths with multiple endings, lots of exploration/investigation, and generally good puzzles. I’m certainly not going to claim it solves every complaint one might have with FMV games, and the interface is cumbersome by modern standards, but it has plenty of legitimate gameplay and is by no means a click-to-advance interactive movie.

Frogacuda is right about the tone. It’s a noir-inspired B-movie sci-fi comedy. Tex is a regular human who lives in a rundown part of San Francisco that is mostly populated by humans mutated by radioactive fallout, which is part of why some characters will look so extreme whereas some will look normal. Do not expect great acting, but if you accept it in that tongue-in-cheek spirit, the presentation will begin to feel appropriate and enjoyable. The writing is actually quite good, with likable characters and an interesting mystery.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Tex ALWAYS plays to the tropes… and that’s what makes it fun. 

Bt

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am going to have to give these games a try though.  So far every experience I’ve ever had with FMV has been utterly sickening, so all this love for it here has got my interest peaked.  I’m still quite skeptical, however, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.  Smile

IMO the Tex Murphy series is really the only games where FMV has worked.
In all other games using FMV i have always felt it detracted more from the game then it added.
Okay i also quite liked Phantasmagoria, but that was in many ways more of an interactive story then and actual AG.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Iznogood - 04 June 2013 12:11 AM

In all other games using FMV i have always felt it detracted more from the game then it added.
Okay i also quite liked Phantasmagoria, but that was in many ways more of an interactive story then and actual AG.

Wing Commander 3/4 also used it quite well, in my opinion. And the Myst series, for that matter.

But yeah, usually it was used in a way that compromised gameplay and the fmv itself poorly produced.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Frogacuda - 04 June 2013 02:48 PM
Iznogood - 04 June 2013 12:11 AM

Wing Commander 3/4 also used it quite well, in my opinion. And the Myst series, for that matter.

But yeah, usually it was used in a way that compromised gameplay and the fmv itself poorly produced.

I thought Spycraft: The Great Game worked quite well too, but I’m not sure if it qualifies as an adventure game or not. It’s more of a simulation/puzzle game/rail shooter with a story kind of thing (so maybe it is an adventure after all). It’s one of the few FMV games I’ve played (not that I’ve played a whole lot of them) where I neither remember getting frustrated with the game mechanics, nor getting annoyed by the acting.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

So I sent this thread to Christopher Walken, and this is what he kept saying about every anti-FMV post.  Tongue

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

MoP - 04 June 2013 08:39 PM

So I sent this thread to Christopher Walken, and this is what he kept saying about every anti-FMV post.  Tongue

LOL…good one MoP

Every time I see any of the dialog of Walken in Ripper I kept thinking that at any moment he would say…” We need more Cow Bell, Quinlan…More Cow Bell”

I loved Ripper. Its one of those games I wish GOG could get a hold of and work their magic on it.

Whats neat about this SNL skit is that it is Blue Oyster Cults and the theme for Ripper.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top