• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The all-things-Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect thread

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I am going to have to give these games a try though.  So far every experience I’ve ever had with FMV has been utterly sickening, so all this love for it here has got my interest peaked.  I’m still quite skeptical, however, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.  Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 10:19 AM

If you don’t know what I mean, do a little googling.  It’s obvious once you recognize it.

I did a little googling, and I found a lot of this:

But the woman in that Tex-screenshot looks more like someone who looks like what she does as a result of age, excercise, a very strict diet and wearing make-up. But I may be wrong. Cosmetic surgery isn’t very common where I’m from, so it’s not really my field of expertise Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve got no problem with “sexy” or “mature” women.  What turns me off is the classic fake “plastic surgery look” that all these women have.  If you don’t know what I mean, do a little googling.  It’s obvious once you recognize it.  I find it just as unsettling in big budget Hollywood stuff, too, by the way.  Give me natural older beauties like Jane Seymour, Kim Basinger, or Maryl Streep, who have let themselves age gracefully, rather than having some hack shoot them full of chemicals or put them under the knife.

It’s in your head, seriously.

It is cyberpunk noir, of course the femme fatales will wear loads of make up and very cliché sexy outfits. I am not seeing plastic surgery and honestly Meryl Streep (who I admire and love) is not such a good match for that kind roles - though I enjoyed her a lot in Death Becomes Her. The kind of charisma these Academy winning actressess with careers decades long is also going to be pretty hard to capture in a screenshot.

I am starting to find it rather offensive really how easily you judge a woman to be a fake and an imposer, and how you can’t stand females that aren’t to your own tastes. Even if you don’t like something, do you really have to be so insulting with your phrasing?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Is there really something insulting in the phrasing of that last quote?  Maybe you’re misinterpreting my tone.  I was genuinely trying explain where I was coming from.  I thought I WAS being careful with my wording, actually.  Smile

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 11:52 AM

Is there really something insulting in the phrasing of that last quote?  Maybe you’re misinterpreting my tone.  I was genuinely trying explain where I was coming from.  I thought I WAS being careful with my wording, actually.  Smile

You are seriously pretending that you didn’t realise the insulting part being for example:

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 01:10 AM

You’d think they could have found female actors that didn’t look like they had been run through the plastic surgery chop shop, ridden hard, and put away wet.  I can only imagine the acting caliber of these beauties.

And that’s not the only place where you have used a tone quite far from neutral expression of one’s opinion. It’s degrading and in this instance it’s even aimed towards a real human being, not just design.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Give me natural older beauties like Jane Seymour, Kim Basinger, or Maryl Streep, who have let themselves age gracefully, rather than having some hack shoot them full of chemicals or put them under the knife.

There you go: Jane Lockhart, straight from the set of “Project Fedora”. Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

FrasierCrane - 03 June 2013 12:01 PM

There you go: Jane Lockhart, straight from the set of “Project Fedora”. Wink

Hahaha…there we go!  Wink

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

millenia - 03 June 2013 11:58 AM

And that’s not the only place where you have used a tone quite far from neutral expression of one’s opinion.

I see nothing in the forum rules that requires neutrality of tone in the expression of opinions.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 12:07 PM

And that’s not the only place where you have used a tone quite far from neutral expression of one’s opinion.

I see nothing in the forum rules that requires neutrality of tone in the expression of opinions.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

JUNE.  JUNE Lockhart! Show some respect, dammit!  She was on Lassie and Lost in Space!!!

Olivia D’Abo would have been great.  Too bad about that.

Bt

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Lambonius - 03 June 2013 12:07 PM

So first you say you are not insulting and when someone points out that in fact you are, you hide behind the absence of certain forum rules? That’s cheap.

Oh and let me just say that Picard was the best Starship Captain I know.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Blackthorne - 03 June 2013 12:26 PM

JUNE.  JUNE Lockhart! Show some respect, dammit!  She was on Lassie and Lost in Space!!!

Calm down, it was just a typo.  Tongue
But I have never seen those two shows (neither my time nor place) so I hope I’m forgiven.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

millenia - 03 June 2013 08:25 AM

And yeah, the acting, in Tex games it’s always been from decent to great. Average voiceacting is worse than the acting in most FMVs.

I wouldn’t go that far. There’s some bad acting in there. But the whole game has a campy B-movie vibe to it that it embraces, so it isn’t as jarring as it is in games that actually try to take themselves seriously.

I think that’s probably the thing Lambonius isn’t picking up on. They’re supposed to be cheesy. They have a story and they have their dramatic moments, but they’re comedies with a silly bent and they don’t shy away from a little camp.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Frogacuda - 03 June 2013 01:23 PM
millenia - 03 June 2013 08:25 AM

And yeah, the acting, in Tex games it’s always been from decent to great. Average voiceacting is worse than the acting in most FMVs.

I wouldn’t go that far. There’s some bad acting in there. But the whole game has a campy B-movie vibe to it that it embraces, so it isn’t as jarring as it is in games that actually try to take themselves seriously.

I think that’s probably the thing Lambonius isn’t picking up on. They’re supposed to be cheesy. They have a story and they have their dramatic moments, but they’re comedies with a silly bent and they don’t shy away from a little camp.

Well yeah, probably an exaggeration on my part, average voice acting isn’t horrible either. And I love the cheesiness of Tex. This whole cyberpunk noir is my favourite “genre”.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tsa - 03 June 2013 12:29 PM

So first you say you are not insulting and when someone points out that in fact you are, you hide behind the absence of certain forum rules? That’s cheap.

You guys are taking everything I say way too seriously.  If you could see the shit-eating grin on my face as I type these posts and read these responses, you’d feel a lot better about me, I bet.  You’d probably even want to take me out and buy me a beer.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top