• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Armikrog - The Neverhood developers making a new game

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Bastich - 18 June 2013 11:59 PM

The game can be purchased HERE.

I see that, but I’d like to know exactly what I’m purchasing. Is it a children’s game or is it made for adults? Can you point me to an English review of the game from someone who has actually played it? I was able to find reviews in Spanish and Russian but none in English.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

AdorableMogwai - 18 June 2013 11:30 PM
Bastich - 18 June 2013 10:41 PM

Tanita: Plasticine Dream is available in English.

All I can find of that game is in Spanish and the English version seems very rare. I can’t find it on Amazon nor can I even find an English review of it. All I find when I google is the same English description of the game that has been copied and pasted but no reviews. Is this a children’s game or something? Why is it so rare in English?

Zifnab - 18 June 2013 10:44 PM

Oh well, I’d rather remember a game for being good than being pretty. I remember The Neverhood but not for its substance, just the art style and quirkiness. But I can understand why appearance counts for so much for so many people.

Well you’re in a passive aggressive mood aren’t you?

The Neverhood is considered a classic, this very site reviewed it 4 1/2 out of out of 5 stars. saying not only did it have a amazing graphic style but a charming storyline, and plenty of puzzling as well. If all you remember it as is just a quirky novelty then I feel quite sad for you. Mini Frown

In my experience games that have lavishly done art usually are good all-around games. If a developer is willing to make the effort and rise above the generic CG style mediocrity that defined the 98-08 decade, then that’s usually a sign they’re making effort in other areas of the game as well. I’m sure someone who is in an argumentative mood will disagree, so let me reiterate that’s just been my experience with adventure games.

No need to feel sad, I don’t feel sad for you that you thought W&G was mediocre. Smile
No passive aggression here either - The Neverhood was average and I won’t hide my feeling about that. But if I was ever capable of feeling sad about someone else’s opinions, what I would be sad about is that graphics and production values are seen as of such importance that something like “CG style” is enough to call a game garbage, even if the game is otherwise excellent. I’ve been playing adventure games for a long time, and honestly only learned what “CG style” is a few weeks ago when I found out there are actually people who don’t like games drawn using a computer program instead of hand (or something like that, I’m still not entirely clear what it is or what riles people up about it).

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Bonsai - 19 June 2013 12:13 AM

Would this help:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17954

That’s a preview of the game that was seen at e3. I’m looking for a review in english of someone who has actually played the commercial release.

I know there’s only a one letter difference between “preview” and “review” but they’re actually two totally different things.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

AdorableMogwai - 19 June 2013 12:46 AM
Bonsai - 19 June 2013 12:13 AM

Would this help:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17954

I know there’s only a one letter difference between “preview” and “review” but they’re actually two totally different things.  Thumbs Up

With that slap in the face, I pour water on you Angry

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

I’m sorry for being irritable everyone. I was just trying to make a point that there aren’t many claymation adventure games. In Russia it may be a slightly bigger genre, in the US there really have only been 4.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

AdorableMogwai - 18 June 2013 09:51 PM

Any publicity is good publicity.

Sorry, but that’s just another empty platitude, in my opinion.
It might be kind of true for longterm “brand” awareness, but you can make many mistakes advertising your project.
Especially when you have already reached most of your target audience.
(LSL made some mistakes and doesn’t really offer anything that people need to have.)
But like said, I for one don’t think the gay-marriage-debate has played an important role here.

Furthermore I suspect Doug TenNapel might be gay himself, when he speaks in the kickstarter video I seem to detect a very slight lisp.

You have to be kidding.  Shifty Eyed

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Shnubble - 19 June 2013 03:17 AM

Furthermore I suspect Doug TenNapel might be gay himself, when he speaks in the kickstarter video I seem to detect a very slight lisp.

You have to be kidding.  Shifty Eyed

In addition to that, if you watch the kickstarter video from 1:48 to 1:58 he’s sitting in a womanly way, and he has a tendency to flop his hands around when he talks. There’a also a part where he talks about how much he likes the other guys he’s working with like “we’re pals, we bring out the best in each other” Often when there’s a really close relationship between guys like that there’s some libidinal energy underneath the surface.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I heard his favourite band is the Village People.

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Also, isn’t it kind of weird how in his games there are only male characters, and how in Armikrog it’s TommyNaut and BeakBeak (two males) who have this intensely close relationship? And just look at the shape of BeakBeak, I notice a motif in Dough TenNapels work of elongated spikey/cylindrical things.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-06-19

PM

AdorableMogwai - 19 June 2013 04:57 AM

Also, isn’t it kind of weird how in his games there are only male characters, and how in Armikrog it’s TommyNaut and BeakBeak (two males) who have this intensely close relationship? And just look at the shape of BeakBeak, I notice a motif in Dough TenNapels work of elongated spikey/cylindrical things.

Please, dude, stay on topic.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

@Oscar Laughing

@AdorableMogwai:  See? I can totally tell Oscar is joking. Your posts are a good example of poe’s law, however.

I mean something like

And just look at the shape of BeakBeak, I notice a motif in Dough TenNapels work of elongated spikey/cylindrical things.

I normally would identify as a parody.
But adding your apparent faith in seemingly academic formulas, I just can’t be sure.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Man, I will be pretty pissed if this one doesn’t make it… not because of the knee-jerk melodramatic slacktivist reaction of the easily offended combing the web for glints of Internet drama to throw their two cents into (an issue that was never really the problem for this Kickstarter) but because it would confirm that the Neverhood franchise is pretty much a forgotten relic of a bygone era of gaming.

Half a million isn’t bad though, eh? Frown

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Shnubble - 19 June 2013 05:27 AM

@Oscar Laughing

@AdorableMogwai:  See? I can totally tell Oscar is joking. Your posts are a good example of poe’s law, however.

I mean something like

And just look at the shape of BeakBeak, I notice a motif in Dough TenNapels work of elongated spikey/cylindrical things.

I normally would identify as a parody.
But adding your apparent faith in seemingly academic formulas, I just can’t be sure.

I knew Oscar was joking too.

The shape of beakbeak is kind of a stretch, but I am serious that there are a lot of little things about DougTenapel’s body language and mannerisms that combine to give off a certain “vibe” as it were.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-06-07

PM

Any publicity is good publicity. There were some people who were offended enough to not pledge money, but there were also people who found out about the Armikrog kickstarter as a direct result of that publicity, and some of these people probably thought it was a cool game and donated. There were also people who pledged even more because they perceived Doug TenNapel as being unfairly attacked.

I’ll tell you the exact amount of donors we lost because of my views… 66. Most were at the $20 level. That doesn’t account for the people who won’t pledge in the first place who would have, or the fall out from a lack of press because some journos wouldn’t cover us because of me. But the only remedy I could think of was to kick in more of my own money to buy Facebook adds that made up the amount of donors so that PencilTest wouldn’t feel the financial hit. That’s in addition to the number of donors who do come into the pool because they agree with me.

I can say that if Armikrog doesn’t fund it won’t be because of my values Though I still cherish every donor’s contribution as a gamer and don’t want to leave anyone out of the gaming experience. I want my values opponents to play this game because they will love the experience, but everyone has live out their values as they feel guilt or reward with certain actions.

Our current state is more because of what others have said before that we aren’t DoubleFine, and The Neverhood wasn’t that big enough of a success. Mostly, people just don’t know about Armikrog and we didn’t market it well enough before the campaign started. We’re still doing fantastically well considering the uphill climb we’ve always had from the beginning, and Kickstarter is made for big influxes of donations at the end that could easily push us over the top.

And I know the 900k seems high, but it feels really low from our perspective. It’s really hard to communicate to people just how expensive puppet animation is to produce, and it’s equally hard to explain just how big of a game we need to make. It needs to be at least the same size and epic experience of the Neverhood or other comparable adventure games.

And this is just an awesome quote. I imagine my robust effeminate expression comes from being cultured around so many artists. We’re soft men.

-Doug TenNapel

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top