• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBoVeoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

So wait, I’m confused. Did Phoenix Online do the graphics in Moebius? That might explain something at least - the characters in Cognition looked incredibly psychotic and strange. The main character looks like she was about to stab me at any time. With her eyes.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 30 March 2013 12:53 AM

So wait, I’m confused. Did Phoenix Online do the graphics in Moebius? That might explain something at least - the characters in Cognition looked incredibly psychotic and strange. The main character looks like she was about to stab me at any time. With her eyes.

I think they did. I actually like the look of the backgrounds, at least. The characters look a bit iffy. I feel like I should at least say something good after all of my critical posts. I also like the voice actor for the main character, though I think the others sound phony and melodramatic.

The thing that I just can’t get over is that Pinkerton Rd. chose a developer (Phoenix Online Studios) that has apparently never even completed a single full game before. Am I the only one that thinks this is madness?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I’m sure Jane knows who’s capable of completing a game. It might even bring a freshness to the game: a band’s first album is often their best.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Zifnab - 30 March 2013 01:37 AM

I’m sure Jane knows who’s capable of completing a game. It might even bring a freshness to the game: a band’s first album is often their best.

Well, this we’ll be POS’s SECOND commercial release, so that’s not got much to do with anything. Wink

I’m still offended he put TSL in the same basket as those LSL games.

<shakes head>

Ridiculous…

Anyway! March PDF Update is coming soon, and a playable demo soon too!

So hooray for those of us still eagerly awaiting the project! Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

A.A - 30 March 2013 02:26 AM
Zifnab - 30 March 2013 01:37 AM

Well, this we’ll be POS’s SECOND commercial release, so that’s not got much to do with anything. Wink

A band’s second release is sometimes their best too Wink

Good luck Phoenix Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Some rather harsh words on POS. While I didn’t personally like the Silver Lining, it needs to be remebered that it was done by people who had very little idea of how games are done, that much is evident, and it is through and through an amateur effort.

Cognition, while I’m not a huge fan of that game either, is how ever technically light years above what the Silver Lining is and is the game that everyone should use as a measure of POS. Based on the trailer alone it’s evident that a lot more effort has been poured in Moebius, while some of the issues Cognition has are still evident in Moebius as well. But those issues most likely dwell from the small budget than anything else.

It also needs to be acknowledged, that the other Sierra related projects, or most of the KS games for the matter, suffer from this same possibility of the developer not being able to produce quality stuff, as there’s a lot of first timers with small budgets there. Also for some projects the developer teams hadn’t even been gathered for the KS, as they needed the money before they could actually get people to do stuff. For an example is pretty difficult to say what kind of a game SpaveVenture will turn out quality wise, as I have no knowledge of the team working on the game besides Murphy and Crowe.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

tomimt - 30 March 2013 04:31 AM

Some rather harsh words on POS. While I didn’t personally like the Silver Lining, it needs to be remebered that it was done by people who had very little idea of how games are done, that much is evident, and it is through and through an amateur effort.

Tomimt, you are right that we should remember how the team has apparently improved since Silver Lining. I can’t comment on Cognition, since I haven’t played it, and I certainly hope they do succeed with Moebius.

The only thing I ask is that we don’t cut them TOO much slack. The whole “but they are enthusiastic” excuse can only be used so many times. I know you aren’t afraid to give honest criticism, as I have seen your posts on here, so I am not talking about you, by the way.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Enthustiasim is a poor defense, if the end result ends up being bad, that is true. But Kickstarter projects always are a crapshoot, there’s no way around that. I’ve noticed that the best approach is to be cautiously optimistic, but still trying to keep the expectations on a realistic level with budget in use and what we know about the game itself.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Quest1 - 29 March 2013 06:19 PM

What?? The people who did the fan game The Silver Lining are doing Moebius? Guess I haven’t been keeping up with all the updates.

This is disappointing to me. TSL was extremely amateurish and below par. I would have liked to have known this before backing Moebius.

The so-so quality of the new Moebius trailer and the corny, artificial, melodramatic nature of its voice acting make a lot more sense now. If any of you don’t know what I’m referring to, go watch a YouTube “let’s play” of The Silver Lining.

I never got around to playing TSL, but I did as you said and looked up a “let’s play” video. And I thought it looked really quite impressive! The melodrama and lengthy cutscenes are not my preferred storytelling style in a game, but I thought this was pretty well executed within the technical limitations, and the design aesthetic was well suited for KQ. Unless the game design is completely broken (and the worst I’ve heard about it is that it’s light on puzzles), I don’t see how it could be called anything other than a creditable fan effort. Maybe your hatred for the “tone” of the game is blinding you to the quality.

I would also say that TSL looks a lot better than some of the clips and screenshots I’ve seen of Cognition, or this Moebius trailer. (OK, so it’s work in progress, but some of this stuff is so bad they shouldn’t have shown it to anybody.) The cel-shading is not working for them.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I like it. It’s not fantastic, but the characters and animations are a great improvement from what I saw in Gray Matter. And while Gray Matter was really really ugly in terms of characters and animations, it was still one the best adventure games I played the last 10 years. I’m still really looking forward to this game.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

After a brisk nap - 30 March 2013 06:36 AM

The cel-shading is not working for them.

Did it work for anybody? (Okay, cue the hordes of furious TWD fans wielding pitchforks. But there do seem to be more bad examples of this style than good - Hoodwink from recent memory and anything Pendulo)

Yachmenev - 30 March 2013 07:25 AM

And while Gray Matter was really really ugly in terms of characters and animations,

It was?  Gasp

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Oscar - 30 March 2013 07:42 AM

It was?  Gasp

Yep. I mean, I love the game, and the actual character art and the cutscenes are very nice. But a lot of the enviroments, the stiff 3d models and the animations are dreadful. I would take the Moebius graphics over the 3D graphics from Gray Matter any day.

The Moebius graphics are not great in any way, but they´re ok.

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

I admire Phoenix Online, though I’ve never played The Silver Lining.
But Cognition is a great game in my opinion. It’s very emotional, thrilling and mature. I agree that it’s not perfect, and there are lot’s of technical problems and animation faltering.
I’m sure they will improve this in the later epsidoes of Cognition and if they don’t - so what? The game is still great, and they can improve this in Moebius.

I can’t wait for Moebius! Smile
When we are going to get the demo?

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Quest1 - 30 March 2013 12:59 AM
Zifnab - 30 March 2013 12:53 AM

I think they did. I actually like the look of the backgrounds, at least.

The backgrounds in Moebius were all done by some guy called Andy Hoyos. I’ve never heard of him, but I gather that he’s supposed to be someone important from how he’s spoken about in the updates, so that could just be down to ignorance on my part.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Quest1 - 30 March 2013 12:37 AM

I trusted Jane to pick a decent partner. I didn’t know anything about the Russian team, but I wasn’t alarmed because I trusted Jane. I do know about Phoenix Online, having played their shockingly amateurish Silver Lining, so I don’t have to defer to Jane’s judgement and put blind trust in her with regard to Phoenix; I already know who Phoenix is.

It’s becoming increasingly apparent that you don’t realize that Jane and Phoenix already made a game together.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top