• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Whatever, you’re the first person in this forum to land on my ignore list, you may feel honored by that if you want. I just can’t stand pointless accusations, hateful rants or misrepresentations.
Mentioning the latter: The Silver Lining as a project was started long, long before the team behind it ever seriously considered the thought of making a commercial game, for one. And it’s not like Cognition could ever pay for those countless years of work that went into TSL. Cognition has to pay for the work that went into itself after all first. So saying that TSL was just a launching pad for POS to put them on the map…wow, that would be like the most expensive and inefficient way to do it! Why wouldn’t they just create the commercial game immediately instead and put themselves on the map with that? Even if said hypothetical game would have failed commercially it would have been a cheaper option? Less time consuming, too (TSL was like a decade announced prior to the first episode’s release). Yeah, they didn’t do that because they, as a team, came together, to create a lovingly tribute to King’s Quest. Do you accuse AGDI of the same thing, that the work on their Sierra remakes was merely intended as a “launching pad” for their commercial games career? Bah.
But why do I try to reason with you, you don’t care about facts and stuff, so I will just finally shut up and block you.

I hope that one day you might be able to get a grip of your emotions so that you can manage to string a few rational thoughts together. Jeez!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 29 March 2013 08:49 PM

Guess what, we are all enthusiastic. Big deal.

guess what, in this industry enthusiasm really is a substitute for money. When people are doing somthing because they love it, it can cost a lot less. And POS (a tragically comical and unintended acronym) has proven they can put games together. Also, in my mind their biggest fault in other releases is their writing. They arent writing this game. Jane is.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

ozzie - 29 March 2013 08:53 PM

Whatever, you’re the first person in this forum to land on my ignore list, you may feel honored by that if you want. I just can’t stand pointless accusations, hateful rants or misrepresentations.

Nothing I said was hateful. How would you feel if you just found out your pledge was going in the hands of a development team you do not want to support at all? I guess technically I accepted that risk, since nothing was guaranteed in the Kickstarter campaign, but I do feel misled and unhappy about it.

Well, let’s see what the lovely Phoenix Online people do with Moebius. Part of me doesn’t even want to have anything to do with the game anymore since this has left such a bad taste in my mouth, but I’ll try to keep an open mind.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Hmm, if I didn’t want to buy a PO game before, I definitely want to now.
They made a fan game that was controversial with the target market and still made enough of a showing to make investors and others interested in their game development. That says something about the quality of the studio and their skills.

Besides I thought the demo of Cognition was intriguing. I like procedurals and I like crime shows, so both Cognition and Möbius appeal to me on those counts.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Panthera - 29 March 2013 09:12 PM

They made a fan game that was controversial with the target market and still made enough of a showing to make investors and others interested in their game development.

Or maybe it’s because they are not able to command as high a price, and they were among the only ones willing to do it for what money Jane Jensen had left.

Is anyone here going to claim that Phoenix Online makes great games? No, because you know it’s not true.

I actually had high hopes that Moebius would be a truly great, Gabriel Knight-quality game. Maybe this was naive on my part. I was willing to accept scaled down art and animation due to the budget, but I never expected this.

Anyway, I’ve said my part. Now it’s wait and see time.

Moving on…
So when is Moebius supposed to be released? And Mystery Game X? Do we know what that is going to be, or who is developing it?

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 29 March 2013 09:25 PM

Is anyone here going to claim that Phoenix Online makes great games? No, because you know it’s not true.

Never forget this is a pinkerton road game. And whether it is or isnt great, rests in the hands of jane jensen.
MGX is still a msytery.. what we know is that it will be episodic, and jane may reveal it to people going to the open house this weekend (but not publicly yet). Either way… it couldnt be much longer before we find out.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

How many people work at Pinkerton Road? Who are these people and what do they do? I stupidly assumed she had an in-house team, but was going to outsource things like time-consuming background art and animations to that Russian team… sort of like how Sierra sometimes did it back in the day.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 29 March 2013 09:38 PM

How many people work at Pinkerton Road?

we dont know, and it doesnt matter. you’re putting 0 faith in jane to assume the game is going to be totally defined by the dev team they picked up to help them.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 29 March 2013 09:48 PM
Quest1 - 29 March 2013 09:38 PM

How many people work at Pinkerton Road?

we dont know, and it doesnt matter. you’re putting 0 faith in jane to assume the game is going to be totally defined by the dev team they picked up to help them.

Do we know who is funding Mystery Game X? Is that one funded by backer money, or another publisher? I have to imagine MSX will better than Moebius if it is not severely limited by budget in the same way Moebius is.

Just as long as POS isn’t doing MSX too. Hearing that news would be more than I could handle.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 29 March 2013 09:57 PM

Do we know who is funding Mystery Game X? Is that one funded by backer money, or another publisher? I have to imagine MSX will better than Moebius if it is not severely limited by budget in the same way Moebius is.

theyv been very adamant in making the distinction: mgx is not funded by backer money, but by a publisher. Backers are receiving mgx as a sort of courtesy bonus i guess.
We can be certain that phoenix isnt involved. At least not in a primary role.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Between Moebius and MSX, which is supposed to have the bigger budget?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Quest1 - 29 March 2013 10:58 PM

Well Mystery Game X is a mystery, so officially no one knows anything. But common sense would dictate that it has the bigger budget. Maybe not, though, given that it’s episodic and it’s supposed to release earlier. We’ll see, I guess.

And stop calling it MSX. MSX is an old Japanese computer.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 29 March 2013 11:19 PM
Quest1 - 29 March 2013 10:58 PM

Well Mystery Game X is a mystery, so officially no one knows anything. But common sense would dictate that it has the bigger budget. Maybe not, though, given that it’s episodic and it’s supposed to release earlier. We’ll see, I guess.

And stop calling it MSX. MSX is an old Japanese computer.

Excuse me, but I’m using dictation on the iPhone and it doesn’t always get things exactly right. Sometimes I don’t see all of the errors to correct before pressing submit.

Have you seen any other complaints about this switch to Phoenix Online? i can’t be the only one feeling like this.

Does anyone here have alpha testing privileges? Even though I pledged way more than I apparently should have, I won’t be able to alpha test the game because I don’t have access to a PC right now. If you are able to alpha test, please post all details somewhere on this form. I am very interested to see what the heck is going on. Are people able to post alpha footage videos on YouTube?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Most people didn’t see Phoenix as inferior to “Russian Game Studio I’ve Never Heard Of,” but obviously any time there’s a change in developers, people get concerned.

We saw it happen with Leisure Suit Larry as well, but that seems to have worked out for the better.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 29 March 2013 11:51 PM

Most people didn’t see Phoenix as inferior to “Russian Game Studio I’ve Never Heard Of,” but obviously any time there’s a change in developers, people get concerned.

We saw it happen with Leisure Suit Larry as well, but that seems to have worked out for the better.

I trusted Jane to pick a decent partner. I didn’t know anything about the Russian team, but I wasn’t alarmed because I trusted Jane. I do know about Phoenix Online, having played their shockingly amateurish Silver Lining, so I don’t have to defer to Jane’s judgement and put blind trust in her with regard to Phoenix; I already know who Phoenix is. And I just saw this review linked at the Pinkerton forum site:  http://kotaku.com/5987760/a-fascinating-point+and+click-adventure-bogged-down-by-crap  —how often do the titles of major game review articles declare games “bogged down by crap”?

Yes, what you say about Larry Reloaded is true. They actually upgraded their developer and picked a great partner. I understand that changes need to be made at times. But when you go to a team that has almost no experience with commercial titles (wasn’t Cognition their first?), I become concerned. Has Phoenix Online ever completed a single full game? I don’t believe so.

Larry Reloaded really didn’t have THAT much bigger of a budget when you consider Replay also has to pay Codemasters for licensing fees, yet the Larry game looks amazing and is full of costly-to-produce and time consuming animation.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top