• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

jaap - 11 September 2014 02:08 PM

As a backer, in theory I could have checked it myself, but I rather wait until it is completely finished :p
I was wondering if and how they are doing the code breaking / messaging in the remake?
That was one of the most ridiculous puzzles Wink

i dont think its fully compe up yet in the beta, other than using the sketchbook on the symbols. I believe that is pretty much the same so far.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t really get why it is ridiculous, to me it’s very logical. Maybe a bit hard to figure out exactly what to write, so there could be something on the new version to help with that, but the puzzle itself is a very smart way to figure out what’s going on.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

It’s the exact text that’s the really difficult part. But I assume there is something to help with that.

(It’s been too long for me to remember if it was clear for me otherwise (what I have to do))

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Maybe they could do something similar as the spliced tape message in GK2. While composing the right message, Gabriel gave hints to let you know if you were on the right track and (as far as I remember) you knew if the tape was right, because otherwise you’d leave the tape interface without a new tape in your inventory.

But I fully agree that the original puzzle in GK1 was very hard as you had no idea on whether your text was exactly right or not (even if you fully understood the puzzle)
That coupled with no way of rectifying the mistake is not a very good example of puzzle design.

They have a great opportunity to solve that now.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yes the tape splicing in GK2 is a lot easier. I completely agree that with some nudges in the right direction, the tomb puzzle could work just as well and really shine as an example of a good puzzle.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Bogi - 21 August 2014 08:35 PM

I’m sure Jane didn’t tell them to draw Barbiel, it is unfortunately just a pure lack of skill.
I don’t want to bash them, but it’s clear that they [Phoenix Online Studios] are biting more than they can chew.

I agree. I would not want to throw Jane Jensen under the bus here. My guess is that the Phoenix Online Studios development team wouldn’t like seeing that either. For all we know, Phoenix Online Studios is proud of, and stands by, the art and animation in this game. I don’t hear Phoenix Online Studios making excuses/playing the blame game when it comes to the quality of the Gabriel Knight remake. It is what it is.

I confess that I don’t have much enthusiasm for this remake, but one good thing is that perhaps the remake will inspire new players, who hopefully aren’t too off-put after playing, to give the wonderful original version a try. Rather than focus on the failure of the remake, I want to look on the bright side and think about the increased exposure the Gabriel Knight world might get now.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think in this case the final quality is pretty much the result of the old saying “you get what you pay for.”

I’ve understood that Jensen is using POS pretty much becuase they are fans of her work and are willing to do the work cheaper than some other developers.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

OrionO - 14 September 2014 05:39 AM

I agree. I would not want to throw Jane Jensen under the bus here.

I dont really want to either. But there were a couple story oversights in the beta that were so bad.. i dont know who to blame.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

SOTF is the easiest remake,i’m already excited for 20th anniversary remakes of TBW and the BOTSBOTD.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I had a dream about GK3 remake and it was well done, the facial expressions worked really well and there was more of that alternative extra content catching people going to different rooms and stuff.

Nothing serious to contribute here.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

tomimt - 14 September 2014 06:46 AM

I think in this case the final quality is pretty much the result of the old saying “you get what you pay for.”

And we get what we pay for too. Preorders of the game are selling for $17 on GOG, so it looks like they were targeting this for a budget release.

I just preordered the game on GOG and quickly previewed the soundtrack. While I seem to be an outlier here in that I find the graphics to be pretty decent, I am slightly disappointed with the soundtrack. I guess with Robert Holmes remastering it himself I had high expectations, and I was hoping that he’d introduce a lot more live instrumentation similar to what Jesse Harlin did with the Monkey Island soundtracks in the Monkey Island Special Editions. However, I guess that was outside the scope of this project as the music still relies quite heavily on synthesized instruments.

Still looking forward to playing the full game though, if only for an excuse to revisit one of my favorite game series.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

If you pre-order it on GOG then apart from the pre-order discount, you also get an additional €4.10 credit for future purchases in order to compensate for the regional pricing . Normally GOG doesn’t do regional pricing but they have apparently been forced to it here, and have chosen this to compensate for it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

GoG, in their recent update, just started using regional pricing.

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Blackthorne - 14 September 2014 07:00 PM

GoG, in their recent update, just started using regional pricing.

Bt

I was convinced that the evil POS had strong-armed GoG into changing their pricing policies for this one single game.  Wink

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

From the GOG faq:

While our older, “back-catalog” games, and most other items, usually cost roughly the same in all currencies,some new games in our catalog may have different prices based on where you are physically located in the world In such cases, you may find that you’re asked to pay a different amount than people in other regions do. However, we offer store credit, which you can use in future purchases, to make up for the price difference. Regional pricing is something that is undertaken at the request of the company for whom we are selling the game, but we do our best to go the extra mile and make it right for everyone.

Though at the POS store you can buy it in $ at US price regardless of where you live, so ...

Lambonius - 14 September 2014 07:48 PM

I was convinced that the evil POS had strong-armed GoG into changing their pricing policies for this one single game.  Wink

Isn’t it Activision and not POS that is the publisher of the game and therefore the one doing the strong-arming?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top