• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

“Gabe” said:

She was a great writer but need to redeem herself after disaster like moebius.

Yes, what you say is true. I also hope she can. But even if opinion continues to be divided on her new work, at least us fans get to appreciate and enjoy more of her writing.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

OrionO - 18 August 2014 09:13 PM

From what I’ve seen, the Phoenix Online Studios Gabriel Knight remake doesn’t look as terrible as many believe, though I will have to wait and see. But the remake does feel unnecessary. Why do I say this? Because it looks like a sterile, plastic version of the original classic. Even the new voices (which are sometimes too young sounding) are just okay and try too hard to sound like the originals. The new musical score recording even sounds inferior to the original’s, though the original composer apparently oversaw both recordings.

Don’t get me wrong, the new backgrounds are stunning with their high level of detail and beautiful lighting effects, but the scenes look artificial and too clean/perfect. And the robotic animation of the sim-looking characters doesn’t help. Wouldn’t it have been better if they had gone in a new, stylized direction for the art?

I know this game is supposed to be an upgrade, but, in a way, it feels like an okay knockoff (as opposed to some kind of special edition) of the original game, despite the hi res and the 3D.

Yea. It’s almost a “demake” in the same way that LSL1: Reloaded was a demake of LSL1VGA.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

At 1992 GK developed in a best possible way(both technologically and artistically),but can we say it’s developed in same way now,i think the answer is why a remake doesn’t work at just any level but need to be cutting edge.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Venkman - 19 August 2014 01:02 AM
OrionO - 18 August 2014 09:13 PM

I know this game is supposed to be an upgrade, but, in a way, it feels like an okay knockoff (as opposed to some kind of special edition) of the original game, despite the hi res and the 3D.

Yea. It’s almost a “demake” in the same way that LSL1: Reloaded was a demake of LSL1VGA.

I’m genuinely curious: In your eyes, what WOULD a suitable remake of GK1 look like?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2004-03-05

PM

I’m playing the beta right now and I am thorougly enjoying it.  When I started playing, the quality of the writing, dialogues, jokes, voice acting, etc. immediately fell into place and got me hooked as an adventure gamer. Unfortunately I do not remember a lot of details about the original game, so I cannot tell the differences, but in this form it is the perfect showcase for attracting new adventure gamers that like 2D environments.

If you don’t like remakes and feel you will have a problem any minor change made, don’t play it and go back to the low resolution version of 1993. No questions asked.

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Totally agree. That was exact my reaction when playing LSL1:Reloaded. And nobody wanted to love LSL1: Roaded more than me, I can assure you.  The VGA version is more polished, has a more cohesive style and just “works” better, despite the pixelated graphics and lack of voices.

I think that, if you’re going to attempt to remake an already well-made game (and especially one previously made by the best of the best at the time), then you need to be sure to have a development team with the capability and resources required to do the game justice. Otherwise, why bother?

This Gabriel Knight remake feels cheap. That’s really what this boils down to.

Does it feel familiar? Yes. Inspired? No. Terrible? Eh, not exactly. Adequate? I guess. Needed? No. Do I still prefer the original? Unquestionably.

Reminds me a little of a made-for-TV movie attempting to remake an old classic feature film by someone like Hitchcock (e.g., “Rebecca” or “North by Northwest”). Yes, the character identities and dialogue haven’t changed, and the new TV movie might look bright and lovely in HD and have some modern CGI thrown in, but it nevertheless feels cheap in comparison.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

OrionO - 19 August 2014 03:38 PM

Totally agree. That was exact my reaction when playing LSL1:Reloaded. And nobody wanted to love LSL1: Roaded more than me, I can assure you.  The VGA version is more polished, has a more cohesive style and just “works” better, despite the pixelated graphics and lack of voices.

I think that, if you’re going to attempt to remake an already well-made game (and especially one previously made by the best of the best at the time), then you need to be sure to have a development team with the capability and resources required to do the game justice. Otherwise, why bother?

Does it feel familiar? Yes. Inspired? No. Terrible? Eh, not exactly. Adequate? I guess. Needed? No. Do I still prefer the original? Unquestionably.

Reminds me a little of a made-for-TV movie attempting to remake an old classic feature film by someone like Hitchcock (e.g., “Rebecca” or “North by Northwest”). Yes, the character identities and dialogue haven’t changed, and the new TV movie might look bright and lovely in HD and have some modern CGI thrown in, but it nevertheless feels cheap in comparison.

So how would it be improved?  What would the ideal GK1 remake be like?

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

The problem of remakes is that no matter what you do there will always be someone who has a problem with it. If it is the same as original that would be a problem, if it is too different that would also be a problem. Big fans of the original will always prefer that game no matter how good this remake is, because it is something that they played many years ago, and everything was better when we were younger. I can understand why they decided to remake the game even though I am a big fan of the original game. Lets face it, not many of the younger gamers today would play a game that looks so old like GK 1. I would just wish that Jane had a good team with her and a decent budget so that she is able to make the best game possible and attract new fans to such a great series of games.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Lambonius - 19 August 2014 03:49 PM

It should be done by a team with a lot more experience and skill and it should have a much bigger budget.

Not messing with the game structure (in the way POS is doing now) is a must, travesty is at work here.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

OrionO - 19 August 2014 03:38 PM

While I can’t comment on this game I often feel the same way. It feels like a matter of time/money, maybe skill and sometimes even ‘love’. See for instance the difference between

and MI1:SE: Comparable source material and a completely different feel in quality. (I know the first isn’t a complete game at all Smile).
I still have to play GK1 so I hope the remake is worth playing, otherwise I’ll try the original some day.

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

So how would it be improved?

With a better development team.

After seeing what this one did to King’s Quest with Silver Lining, my first reaction wouldn’t have been, “hey, let’s give them Gabriel Knight now!” I believe the expression is “failing up.” And I say that with all due respect. But it needs to be said.

We can come up with lists of things that could be improved (from art to voice acting, animation, user interface, etc.), but without the right team and sufficient resources, it wouldn’t make a difference.

Perhaps, given the circumstances, this team did all that could have been done, though it seems like we’ve heard all these excuses before. If I were the investor or IP owner, I would have already heard enough and seen enough. I wouldn’t keep returning to pump a dry well, hoping to get a different result. Yes, this remake may be adequate in some ways, but when you’re making a big deal about a new “special edition” of a classic game, I expect to be wowed, and I’m not wowed by what I see here.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah the ideal gk remake would have a cutting edge smooth appearance and interface, and any changes to gameplay or story would only be additions that blended seamlessly.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Ideally 3D because we already have a 2D GK1. Most of the environments are not that vast and could be translated to 3D pretty well without a lot of the silly strawman problems that 2D stalwarts like to bring up.

If you’re for some reason going to make a 2D remake of a 2D game, you have to have graphics that actually look like a well-produced modern 2D game. Maybe stylize them somehow to make it more unique.

As it looks now, this project will attract approximately 0 newcomers to Gabriel Knight and adventure games in general.

I know you don’t like to hear it, but graphics were the main draw of adventure games from 1980-1995, and that’s when they were at their most popular.

Edit: I wouldn’t mind it at all if they tweaked things around in terms of plot, puzzles, etc. and I think desiring the exact same thing with slightly nicer graphics is pretty dumb.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

OrionO - 19 August 2014 06:17 PM

We can come up with lists of things that could be improved (from art to voice acting, animation, user interface, etc.), but without the right team and sufficient resources, it wouldn’t make a difference.

Apparently “we” can’t, because nobody has said anything more specific than “have it be done by a different team.”

OrionO - 19 August 2014 06:17 PM

I expect to be wowed, and I’m not wowed by what I see here.

What would wow you?  Be specific.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Venkman - 19 August 2014 09:54 PM

Ideally 3D because we already have a 2D GK1. Most of the environments are not that vast and could be translated to 3D pretty well without a lot of the silly strawman problems that 2D stalwarts like to bring up.

What would the interface be?  How would you preserve the general experience of the original game and transition it into a fully 3D world without fixed camera angles?

Should I even bother asking how one would do it in a way that is financially feasible?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top