• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Not messing with the game structure (in the way POS is doing now) is a must, travesty is at work here.

You know, I just have to say - Bogi - Jane Jensen herself is actively involved in the development and is working directly with them.  Any alterations in the game come from the top down - meaning her. 

These kinds of changes aren’t just being randomly implemented by Phoenix; they are working under Jane’s direction completely.

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Blackthorne - 19 August 2014 10:21 PM

Not messing with the game structure (in the way POS is doing now) is a must, travesty is at work here.

You know, I just have to say - Bogi - Jane Jensen herself is actively involved in the development and is working directly with them.  Any alterations in the game come from the top down - meaning her. 

These kinds of changes aren’t just being randomly implemented by Phoenix; they are working under Jane’s direction completely.

Bt

HAN SHOT FIRST!!!

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Lambonius - 19 August 2014 10:00 PM
Venkman - 19 August 2014 09:54 PM

Ideally 3D because we already have a 2D GK1. Most of the environments are not that vast and could be translated to 3D pretty well without a lot of the silly strawman problems that 2D stalwarts like to bring up.

What would the interface be?  How would you preserve the general experience of the original game and transition it into a fully 3D world without fixed camera angles?

Should I even bother asking how one would do it in a way that is financially feasible?

You’re a gigantic asshole.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Bt

Pretty much this. All the changes are approved and written by Jane, so it’s on her head if she ends up messing the story she wrote.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I fully agree too.

Obviously, you can in some way blame POS if the end result falls short in terms of quality of backgrounds or animations and even then ultimately Jane Jensen is approving the work done and is ultimately responsible for the whole package. She also chose POS as the developer and thus assumes responsibility for their involvement.

But assuming POS is to blame for any changes to the game structure, puzzles or writing is simply ludicrous.
As mentioned before, any developer that is hired in such a construction is developing according to the designer/directors instruction and guidance.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

For altering the structure Jensen is one to blame of course, blood is on her hands.

She unfortunately won’t be the first author who in her/his later years destroyed its masterpiece. As people grow old after a certain point their abilities weak, that’s nature at work and usually they cannot admit that to themselves. So we get a subpar products that can’t compete with their earlier work.

POS is to blame for bad gfx and especially terrible animations and not staying true to the original style that worked so well. Gabriel Knight looks like an older teenager.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Lambonius - 19 August 2014 03:49 PM

So how would it be improved?  What would the ideal GK1 remake be like

First of all what’s with the cartoon style (which suits better with speech bubbles) and why physical realism level so short?
Consider the script have full of dramatic events and turns,
quite challenge to capture serious dramatic moments with cartoon graphics.

One thing for sure if Jensen approved new Knight’s adolescent
character model(reminds me Hardy Boys) game is gonna be newcomers magnet nodoubt. Tongue

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

What we see from previous POS games,they have amateur level of art direction even they got a title like GK shouldnt be expected superior art direction in such a small period of time.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Bogi - 20 August 2014 03:32 AM

For altering the structure Jensen is one to blame of course, blood is on her hands.

Is that really necessary?
Not to downplay any emotions you have concerning the remake of a game you obviously love, but it’s still just about a game. She’s not invading Ukraine!

I think it’s been mentioned before, but if you loathe the notion of a remake that much, simply forget it ever happened and stay with the original.

You’re acting as if she should be imprisoned for what she’s done/doing…..

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Whilst I’m all for getting caught up in discussions about the changes from the original to the remake (it’s interesting stuff after all) I can’t honestly get too concerned about them for the exact reason subbi said above. The original game is still available and playable on modern PC’s. It doesn’t somehow become obliterated by the remake.

However, if the remake allows those who can’t stomach the pixelated look to experience the game it can only be a good thing and even if the remake is inferior in every way (please note the conditional) to the original then it might lead people to try the original too. Win/win surely? Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Intense Degree - 20 August 2014 05:23 AM

...and even if the remake is inferior in every way (please note the conditional) to the original then it might lead people to try the original too. Win/win surely? Wink

I don’t think that’s how it works. At least not for me. Remakes are supposed to be better in some way than the original. If I don’t like a remake I’m not going to check out the original game.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Intense Degree - 20 August 2014 05:23 AM

and even if the remake is inferior in every way (please note the conditional) to the original then it might lead people to try the original too. Win/win surely? Wink

It’s different what you first play - generations grew up on playing the original GK and I’m sure there’re many recent adventure gamers who were hooked to the genre by it. Now, new players will reason: “I’ll play the remake first, of course!” And then, they’ll exchange this:

Artistic factor: 10

with this:

Metrosexual factor: 10

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s a bit too early to pass a final judgement on GK1 remake, but I have to say I’m not a huge fan of the new and improved looks of Gabe. He looks like those poorly photoshopped celebrity photos.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Tongue

I’d almost go for:

pic one: macho factor 10
pic two: gay factor 10

Almost mirror opposites!
But pls ignore my comment if you find it insensitive.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Karlok - 20 August 2014 05:35 AM

I don’t think that’s how it works. At least not for me. Remakes are supposed to be better in some way than the original. If I don’t like a remake I’m not going to check out the original game.

Not for me either in this case. However, there undoubtedly will be people who will view the graphics as better than the original (i.e. will not play “pixelated” games) and I suspect this may be enough to convince some people who have never tried the original to try the remake. Those people will not come at it with the preconceptions that those who love the original have and will play the remake for what it is.

From my limited time playing it so far I would certainly not say that the game has been ruined and even if it is not as good as it was before that doesn’t mean it is completely worthless and un-enjoyable. If someone likes the remake then they may overcome the “retro-fear” and try the original, or simple curiosity may be enough.

It’s different what you first play - generations grew up on playing the original GK and I’m sure there’re many recent adventure gamers who were hooked to the genre by it. Now, new players will reason: “I’ll play the remake first, of course!” And then, they’ll exchange this:... for this

Although I am not one of them I believe some people will prefer the (to my eyes) less appealing new version. (Not sure I have understood exactly what you meant Wink)

Also on graphics, the style is massively different in each GK game to date and even the actor who played Gabe changes.

Funnily enough when GK2 came out I had a real struggle to get into it because it wasn’t the Gabe I knew from GK1. However, I don’t think I have ever heard anyone who played GK2 first (and I know some people on these forums did) complain about this the other way round. Somehow it is easier to accept changes going backwards rather than forwards maybe?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top