• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Bogi - 13 October 2014 11:57 AM
Zifnab - 13 October 2014 10:14 AM

Having modern graphics makes it automatically good!

Modern gfx here? You wish   Smile

This could have been done in the Sims editor.

Sadly enough, this isn’t even an exaggeration. As someones already said, the games environments look like they’ve been taken out of a hidden object game, and for the life of me I don’t know how this is possible? I had the same issue with Moebius, I hated the environments. I’m not sure what POS can do to change this for future games because each scene has a general lack of atmosphere or unique style. The original GK OOZED atmosphere. I don’t know, maybe they should take some inspiration from games such as TLJ or Blade Runner.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

tomimt - 13 October 2014 09:49 AM

In the end this remake makes very little sense, as it is in essence a lowbudget remake of a game that was in its time comparable to a AAA titles of today. It’s like you take Transformers, or any other big budget action movie, and remake it with a budget of 2000 dollars and action dolls.

You are right about the lowbudget look when compared to the original, and that is really sad. I liked Cognition and thought that Moebius was an ok game, but I don´t like the look of Phoenix Online games, as someone already mentioned, the graphics look like they are from a hidden object game. It is a shame because I think that Gabriel Knight game series deserve better, at least a decent budget and experienced developers. I wouldn´t want to see a possible GK 4 look like this, if I could choose I would always prefer the look of Gray Matter, whitch would suit GK game very well.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zifnab - 13 October 2014 10:14 AM
tomimt - 13 October 2014 09:49 AM

1.In the end this remake makes very little sense, as it is in essence a lowbudget remake of a game that was in its time comparable to a AAA titles of today. It’s like you take Transformers, or any other big budget action movie, and remake it with a budget of 2000 dollars and action dolls.

2.But don’t you see? Anything old is bad! Must modernize everything! Having modern graphics makes it automatically good!

1. Fixation on POS will always be JJs own undoing.

2. Ironic that pixelated style indies will still be more commercially successful than GK remake. This modern 3D models is too old mentality now, look at Cuphead and Below.
2D indies taking centerstage at major Expos as showrunners.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

nomadsoul - 14 October 2014 03:06 AM

Ironic that pixelated style indies will still be more commercially successful than GK remake. This modern 3D models is too old mentality now, look at Cuphead and Below. 2D indies taking centerstage at major Expos as showrunners.

Nah, I’m happy that there are games with different graphic styles. I like pixelated style and artsy style, but I like more “realistic” HD graphics as well. I think many GK20 backgrounds are really good, but the quality isn’t consistent and there are some weird design choices.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2004-08-23

PM

did they give out the keys yet to the backers?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Coop - 14 October 2014 09:06 PM

did they give out the keys yet to the backers?

no not yet, it will be about 14 hours from now from the sounds of the forums.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

I’m excited for the remake and even more excited for a new CSG season involving Gabriel Knight 4 if that’s coming next. Jane’s most recent short story, “The Temptation” has my interests perked!

Seems like there are a ton of trolling naysayers on AG these days. Sad.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So, anyone played the full version yet? It’s been apparently released for backers already.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

It will be released today, but I haven’t received a mail from POS yet….this may take a few hours to reach everybody, I expect.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2014-09-14

PM

Those who pre-ordered on the POS Store can download it right now. Instead, those who pre-ordered on Steam or GOG have to wait until 9 AM PDT.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Dear god… they’ve added sliding puzzles…
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/15/wot-i-think-gabriel-knight-20th-anniversary/

Summary of the review: it’s better than Larry Reloaded, but it lacks the soul, style and atmosphere of the original.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Seems a lot of remakes or “inspired by” games struggle to repeat that particular mood, atmosphere and style of 90s adventure games. Maybe it’s because everything looks so pristine and clean in these games.

Not that I have played the remake yet… waiting for my Steam key. Smile

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tonywar93 - 15 October 2014 09:45 AM

Those who pre-ordered on the POS Store can download it right now. Instead, those who pre-ordered on Steam or GOG have to wait until 9 AM PDT.

Damn! I retrieved my GOG key just now and the game doesn’t show up on my GOG-shelf. It should, whether it’s downloadable or not.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 15 October 2014 11:37 AM

Dear god… they’ve added sliding puzzles…
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/15/wot-i-think-gabriel-knight-20th-anniversary/

Summary of the review: it’s better than Larry Reloaded, but it lacks the soul, style and atmosphere of the original.

Phoenix, Pinkerton Road… just go stand in the corner. That corner. Right now.

Actually, no, wait. Hold on a moment, because I’m not done. While that’s absolutely the most banal of the additions, it’s not actually the worst. As tempted as I am to go through them one by one and explain in great detail why everyone involved should be beaten around the face with a wet halibut, every single new puzzle added is both amateur hour garbage and tonally inappropriate.

Where it succeeds is in modernising Gabriel Knight for an audience that will never, ever play the original. And that’s worth something, to be sure. It fails though at recapturing most of why the original is so beloved, and at channelling it for its changes. When it can’t simply rehash, it flounders, and even when it does, it largely proves why great artists remain great even when those that follow have better tools at their disposal.

Looks like i won’t be playing this.

Thanks for sharing, i didn’t know there were new additions which basically cater to
mainstream Tablet fanbase.

One thing though , they praised the comic art panel/cutscenes which indeed look fine.
Why didn’t they made the whole game in that art, avoiding tall order of 3D modeling.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

tomimt - 15 October 2014 11:37 AM

As a backer who has played the Beta version of Days 1-4, I can say that this seems an accurate review to me. I am glad that Mr. Cobbett was assigned this game: now we have at least one review from a journalist whose memory of the original game is strong enough that he can point out a few of the many, many changes from the original game. I’m sure we’ll have plenty of reviews from journalists who won’t compare the remake to the original, so this is a useful counterbalance.

Discussion here in the forums has focused so much on the remake’s art style that I think some people may be surprised when they realize how much tinkering has been done with the game’s structure, script, and puzzle flow. At some point there may be a wiki or webpage cataloguing all the changes.

In the meantime, for anyone who is on the fence between the original and this remake, just know that if you want to understand why GK1 became a classic, you really should be playing the original so that you experience the original structure, script, and puzzle flow, not to mention the original art and voices.

That’s not to say the remake is without merits of its own—there are some new things I like about it, although I’m sorry to say that for me personally they are outweighed by the new things that I disliked. But as the reviews trickle out, I have a feeling that you’re going to see some journalists claiming the remake is more faithful to the original than it actually is simply because they either never played or don’t have a strong memory for the details of the original game, so I recommend you take any claims of faithfulness with a grain of salt until someone compiles a more detailed list of all the changes that have been made and you can assess the changes for yourself.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top