• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Chuchel

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

Doom - 26 December 2018 09:08 AM

Black people are also not affected. Slavery and racism are history.

Racism is not history. I’m very glad that you’ve not experienced it, but it has not gone away.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Black people are also not affected. Slavery and racism are history, unless we are talking about Third World countries, but First World usually don’t care.

Believe me Doom, when i tell you we are the most far place from racism,  its not even in our heads, here in Egypt we had a black president 40 years before Obama, and due to lots of invasions we had there are ppl from all colors, the 50 shades from black to white.. and find that at/in all the region.

you find Billionaires (Sheikhs) at Saudi are black, minsters and all the high prestigious political jobs… and to make it more clear we dont have this word in our vocabulary in describing human, we say ‘Asmarr’ instead, which is the color of the Nile river, a very decent word that singers even use it all the time to describe beauty, and more;
how about i tell that my Father and Brother are black but my Mum is white. really!.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Advie - 26 December 2018 09:32 AM

Black people are also not affected. Slavery and racism are history, unless we are talking about Third World countries, but First World usually don’t care.

Believe me Doom, when i tell you we are the most far place from racism,  its not even in our heads, here in Egypt we had a black president 40 years before Obama, and due to lots of invasions we had there are ppl from all colors, the 50 shades from black to white.. and find that at/in all the region.

you find Billionaires (Sheikhs) at Saudi are black, misters and all the high prestigious political jobs… and to make it more clear we dont have this word in our vocabulary in describing human, we say ‘Asmarr’ instead, which is the color of the Nile river, a very decent word that singers even use all the time to describe beauty, and more;
how about i tell that my Father and Brother are black but my Mum is white. really!.

Unfortunately racism is often invisible unless you are victim of it. Denial doesn’t help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_Arab_world#Egypt
Mona Eltahawy, a columnist for Egypt’s Al Masry Al Youm and Qatar’s Al Arab, wrote in the New York Times an article titled, “Racism: The Arab world’s dirty secret”. She was a witness to racist attacks by Arab Egyptians on blacks and stated: “We are a racist people in Egypt and we are in deep denial about it. On my Facebook page, I blamed racism for my argument and an Egyptian man wrote to deny that we are racists and used as his proof a program on Egyptian Radio featuring Sudanese songs and poetry! Our silence over racism not only destroys the warmth and hospitality we are proud of as Egyptians, it has deadly consequences.” She believed racism was behind a police crackdown on 5,000 Sudanese refugees and the beating to death of some women and children. She added: “The racism I saw on the Cairo Metro has an echo in the Arab world at large, where the suffering in Darfur goes ignored because its victims are black and because those who are creating the misery in Darfur are not Americans or Israelis and we only pay attention when America and Israel behave badly.” She criticized the country’s attitudes: “We love to cry ‘Islamophobia’ when we talk about the way Muslim minorities are treated in the West and yet we never stop to consider how we treat minorities and the most vulnerable among us.” While noting that racist incidents are condemned in the United States, she said that in Egypt, as well as in the Arab world, there is a culture of silence toward racist incidents which reflects negatively on Arab society.[3]

http://cairoscene.com/LifeStyle/The-Reality-of-Racism-in-Egypt

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

awoma - 26 December 2018 09:20 AM

Racism is not history. I’m very glad that you’ve not experienced it, but it has not gone away.

I think racial segrigation, quotas and other forms of official discrimination were last practiced in America (of all developed countries) somewhere around 1970s. If you are talking about cultural racism, it’s a completely different matter which will always exist between all races and nations. And the more you try to force your agenda on other people, the worse the tension gets as you can clearly see.

Sorry Advie, I meant African countries where slavery and racial segregation are still big issues. I know that Egypt is a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural country.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I think an Admin ought to move this into Chit Chat where it would be more appropriate.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its totally alright Doom Smile

Vehelon - 26 December 2018 09:52 AM

you find Billionaires (Sheikhs) at Saudi are black, misters and all the high prestigious political jobs… and to make it more clear we dont have this word in our vocabulary in describing human, we say ‘Asmarr’ instead, which is the color of the Nile river, a very decent word that singers even use all the time to describe beauty, and more;

Unfortunately racism is often invisible unless you are victim of it. Denial doesn’t help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_Arab_world#Egypt
Mona Eltahawy, a columnist for Egypt’s Al Masry Al Youm and Qatar’s Al Arab, wrote in the New York Times an article titled, “Racism: The Arab world’s dirty secret”. She was a witness to racist attacks by Arab Egyptians on blacks and stated: “We are a racist people in Egypt and we are in deep denial about it. On my Facebook page, I blamed racism for my argument and an Egyptian man wrote to deny that we are racists and used as his proof a program on Egyptian Radio featuring Sudanese songs and poetry! Our silence over racism not only destroys the warmth and hospitality we are proud of as Egyptians, it has deadly consequences.” She believed racism was behind a police crackdown on 5,000 Sudanese refugees and the beating to death of some women and children. She added: “The racism I saw on the Cairo Metro has an echo in the Arab world at large, where the suffering in Darfur goes ignored because its victims are black and because those who are creating the misery in Darfur are not Americans or Israelis and we only pay attention when America and Israel behave badly.” She criticized the country’s attitudes: “We love to cry ‘Islamophobia’ when we talk about the way Muslim minorities are treated in the West and yet we never stop to consider how we treat minorities and the most vulnerable among us.” While noting that racist incidents are condemned in the United States, she said that in Egypt, as well as in the Arab world, there is a culture of silence toward racist incidents which reflects negatively on Arab society.[3]

http://cairoscene.com/LifeStyle/The-Reality-of-Racism-in-Egypt

The hell with Mona babbling, we are a country that was kidnapped by Muslims brotherhood and no one move an inch to help us instead we were accused that the military which stood up to the right side of the equation; people, for running a coup, with sanctions all over the country premises that we are still suffering financially bc of it until this day, big suffer, you cant imagine.

so no one dares to talk us into Darfur, Libya or Syria now, we have tasks all over our necks. at least now we are more safer from terrorists more than some European countries, tho we are surrounded; south,east and west with all the sources of Muslim fanatics; Isis and whatnot, we are the most close to the danger (zones) but we are yet on are our way (big time) soon to end it/them, for the sake of everyone too.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vehelon - 26 December 2018 08:30 AM

Your second point addresses intent which I have already said should not be relevant. By your argument this Taiwan salon owner who put a Nazi symbol on the shop’s sign without knowing what it meant should not take it down. I think quite a few Jews may be quite upset about that.

The swastika had always been a symbol of prosperity and good fortune before the Nazis defiled that image. The symbol has been in use in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism for thousands of years.

I’d argue that he knew more about what it meant than most people in the Western world do, because here we only see the link with Nazism, hate and white supremacy. And no, he should not take it down, because most people in Asia actually DO know the true meaning of the symbol.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

TimovieMan - 26 December 2018 10:48 AM

Your second point addresses intent which I have already said should not be relevant. By your argument this Taiwan salon owner who put a Nazi symbol on the shop’s sign without knowing what it meant should not take it down. I think quite a few Jews may be quite upset about that.

The swastika had always been a symbol of prosperity and good fortune before the Nazis defiled that image. The symbol has been in use in Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism for thousands of years.

I’d argue that he knew more about what it meant than most people in the Western world do, because here we only see the link with Nazism, hate and white supremacy. And no, he should not take it down, because most people in Asia actually DO know the true meaning of the symbol.

There is no “true” meaning of a symbol. Symbols point towards what we associate with them, and for the world at this point in time, the swastika is far more associated with Nazism. I have a personal story about this - I was showing a friend photos of a recent trip to India and one had a swastika graffiti on the side of a temple. She asked “why is there a Nazi symbol on the temple?” to which I explained it was a Jain symbol.

The argument that it is in asia so shouldn’t matter carries a bit of weight but is mostly cancelled out in a globalised world and especially a modern, globalised, secular and open country like Taiwan. If it were an insular, highly religious developing country I might agree with you.

Also, the western, Nazi usage of the swastika deviated quite a bit from the eastern usage, turning it on an angle like it is used in the salon sign.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Vehelon - 26 December 2018 09:01 PM

There is no “true” meaning of a symbol. Symbols point towards what we associate with them, and for the world at this point in time, the swastika is far more associated with Nazism. I have a personal story about this - I was showing a friend photos of a recent trip to India and one had a swastika graffiti on the side of a temple. She asked “why is there a Nazi symbol on the temple?” to which I explained it was a Jain symbol.

The argument that it is in asia so shouldn’t matter carries a bit of weight but is mostly cancelled out in a globalised world and especially a modern, globalised, secular and open country like Taiwan. If it were an insular, highly religious developing country I might agree with you.

Also, the western, Nazi usage of the swastika deviated quite a bit from the eastern usage, turning it on an angle like it is used in the salon sign.

What drivel. The utterances of a bigot where things can only mean what they want them to mean and are happy to trample over 3,000 + years of history. All you can do to validate your own ill-thought out theories is to decry all that has gone before and to belittle millions of people who have complete and total belief in a symbol. The Christian Cross? Nah, no value to that ever since Satanists turned it upside down so their meaning has to be the correct one. One could go on and on but you “should” get the point. Oh, and did you know that the original swastika is actually thought by some academics to be a representation of Thor thus adding Scandinavia to the list that Timo supplied.
Just because you think of a globalised world (whatever that really means as the world, by definition, is global) whereby only “modern” views count and should be considered “law” upon all peoples doesn’t make you right and dismissing out of hand all that has gone before just shows you to be completely intolerant of different races and beliefs.
Out of curiosity have you ever read George Orwell’s “1984”?

Life is what it is.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Jabod - 27 December 2018 06:21 AM

Yes. It’s about the horrors of totalitarianism, not taking down a symbol that offends people out of respect for them, which was what I was talking about.

As for things meaning what I want them to mean, maybe you should consider looking in your own backyard. Nowhere did I say the swastika had no value or we should ignore its history, and nowhere did I say anyone should be forced to do anything.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Vehelon - 27 December 2018 06:41 AM

Yes. It’s about the horrors of totalitarianism, not taking down a symbol that offends people out of respect for them, which was what I was talking about.

As for things meaning what I want them to mean, maybe you should consider looking in your own backyard. Nowhere did I say the swastika had no value or we should ignore its history, and nowhere did I say anyone should be forced to do anything.

As far as 1984 goes I was rather more thinking about the “Thought Police” and how prevalent that that has become, particularly amongst Generation Z as they are called.

And it would appear that you have no argument or cannot look back on what you have written to refute my points. It was you, after all, that said, and I quote “There is no “true” meaning of a symbol”. By stating this you allow yourself the freedom to make any point you like to suit your remarkably blinkered thinking and, in doing so, totally disrespecting millions of people of other races and religions.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Jabod - 27 December 2018 06:55 AM
Vehelon - 27 December 2018 06:41 AM

As far as 1984 goes I was rather more thinking about the “Thought Police” and how prevalent that that has become, particularly amongst Generation Z as they are called.

And it would appear that you have no argument or cannot look back on what you have written to refute my points. It was you, after all, that said, and I quote “There is no “true” meaning of a symbol”. By stating this you allow yourself the freedom to make any point you like to suit your remarkably blinkered thinking and, in doing so, totally disrespecting millions of people of other races and religions.

I didn’t refute your point because you didn’t make one about symbols NOT having a true meaning. In fact, by pointing out the large number of cultural associations for the swastika you actually confirmed my point that symbols only mean what we associate with them, whether that be Jainism, Thor, Buddhism etc.

So I still fail to see where I disrespected any race or religion.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

The reaction on steam has been horrendous. People are trying their best to put Amanita out of business, including full-on neonazis in the discussion forums with iron cross avatars, and review-bombing in an attempt to reduce sales.

All because they want a different colour scheme.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

globalised, secular and open country like Taiwan

Wrong.

The CIA World Factbook reports that over 93% of Taiwanese are adherents of a combination of the polytheistic Chinese popular religion, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

awoma - 26 December 2018 08:20 AM
Doom - 26 December 2018 08:12 AM

Nice illustration, Advie Thumbs Up This period will go into history as The Time of Whiners.

This thread is 90% whining at this point, over the fact Amanita changed the colour of a character to orange to avoid resembling blackface.

The only whiners here are a couple of new members that seem to be insistent on defending decisions made to alter games on the behalf of the tiniest minority, infringing the rights of the developers & mentally sound/adjusted gamers. The ‘whiners’ that continue to troll and/or fuel the fire to blow things out of proportion by seeing imagined references of racism, sexism etc etc in absolutely everything should be listened to & views considered before being dismissed…...you’re now dismissed!  Naughty

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top