• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Chuchel

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m assuming the controversy comes mostly from the lips that are reminiscent of something like this:

If they’d changed the mouth to a single white line, they’d have solved the issue just as well, without the added stupidity of suddenly ending up with an orange dust bunny. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Yeah, the change could have been made way better, the old Chuchel is a lot funnier and I haven’t even played the game.

And wow, people are not happy about this at all! The recent steam reviews have dragged the rating from “very positive” to “mixed” and there are many complaints…

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Man, their steam forum is really flaring up. Not sure this will be good for Amanita’s business.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cyfoyjvx - 22 December 2018 03:52 PM

And wow, people are not happy about this at all! The recent steam reviews have dragged the rating from “very positive” to “mixed” and there are many complaints…

Luhr28 - 22 December 2018 09:41 PM

Man, their steam forum is really flaring up. Not sure this will be good for Amanita’s business.

That’s because gamers are childish, entitled whiners, and once they get online, GIFT aggravates the situation. Wink

The Mass Effect 3 ending didn’t destroy BioWare. This won’t destroy Amanita.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This is the plague that is political correctness that we live in today. It goes way beyond this game. Chloe, the heroine from the Uncharted series that was the love interest of Nathan Drake a few games back is now being promoted as gay, though she was straight before. They even went as far as banning the classic song “Baby it’s cold outside” from holiday music played on the radios because one line can be interpreted, if you are so inclined, as date rape. Many people (including tons of females) complained about that because they actually liked the song being part of the holiday season, and they understood it as just innocent flirtation, so the stations had to revert their decision.

In Melbourne, they were trial testing female figures on pedestrian crossings to ‘reduce unconscious bias’ whatever the eff that means. This is what they wasted their citizens’ money to come up with:

There are even surveys and debates whether Santa should be gender neutral. I kid you not.

TimovieMan - 23 December 2018 02:32 AM
cyfoyjvx - 22 December 2018 03:52 PM

Luhr28 - 22 December 2018 09:41 PM

That’s because gamers are childish, entitled whiners, and once they get online, GIFT aggravates the situation. Wink

The Mass Effect 3 ending didn’t destroy BioWare. This won’t destroy Amanita.

It’s more than that. I think there has been a genuine far left attack on anything that is slightly controversial for a while now, pressuring all pop culture entertainment to be super inclusive and PC or to feel the wrath of the masses. This is the other side that is fed up of that movement showing their frustration and anger.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 23 December 2018 02:32 AM

The Mass Effect 3 ending didn’t destroy BioWare.

No but it didn’t do BioWare any favors either

Released in March 2017, Andromeda was at the center of controversy of equal proportions, if not higher than that around the third chapter; starting with heavy criticisms that were addressed before the video game was released[33] to the lukewarm response received by the specialized press and the fandom[34] with sales lower than the previous Mass Effect chapters.[35] Given the circumstances Electronic Arts has reportedly frozen the entire Mass Effect series, downgrading the BioWare Montréal branch from a leading development team to a support team,[36] and later merging it into EA Motive altogether.[37]

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I feel very sorry for Amanita, they can’t win, as they’ve tried to appease the (misguided) accusers of racism by changing their design due to a few people that was well put in this forum post : 
“....if you honestly believe you see ‘blackface’ in this game, then maybe you need to check yourself and your own stereotypes” .

Yes, to me it’s ridiculous & an infringement of creativity by making a molehill out of nothing therefore leading to a mountain based on that nothing!

SoccerDude - 23 December 2018 02:56 AM

This is the plague that is political correctness that we live in today. It goes way beyond this game. Chloe, the heroine from the Uncharted series that was the love interest of Nathan Drake a few games back is now being promoted as gay, though she was straight before. They even went as far as banning the classic song “Baby it’s cold outside” from holiday music played on the radios because one line can be interpreted, if you are so inclined, as date rape. Many people (including tons of females) complained about that because they actually liked the song being part of the holiday season, and they understood it as just innocent flirtation, so the stations had to revert their decision.
In Melbourne, they were trial testing female figures on pedestrian crossings to ‘reduce unconscious bias’ whatever the eff that means. This is what they wasted their citizens’ money to come up with:
There are even surveys and debates whether Santa should be gender neutral. I kid you not.

I’ve been aware of what amounts to ‘positive discrimination’ for many years now.
A stick ‘man’ on a pedestrian crossing can be perceived as neutral - one with a skirt is very obviously ‘positive discrimination’.
Positive discrimination is the biggest highlighter of actual discrimination to me as it does seem to hide resentment, guilt whatever & not present things in balance. 

I’ve grown up with Santa being personified as male - is there any reason why he should all of a sudden be gender neutral? 
I’m very much a believer in works that don’t promote any kind of discrimination but that’s not to say that they can’t/shouldn’t reflect this in the author/developer/filmmaker’s stories.
At the same time game developers, filmmakers, novelists etc should stay sincere to their ideas & not bow to pressure to change their stories to be more inclusive if they weren’t before.

The dust in my house is black btw & not orange.  Laughing 

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I had forgotten about Chuchel, a friend reminded me of it a week or so ago, so with the Steam Winter sale going on I figured I’d see what kind of discount it had. All of a sudden I see this orange dust bunny. I’m like what the heck, I don’t remember him being orange?! Which brings me here. What is this world coming to when an innocent child like game staring a black dust bunny is considered racist? A crazy world we live in! All these damn snowflakes, and I’m not talking about the weather!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

chrissie - 23 December 2018 04:35 PM

The dust in my house is black btw & not orange.  Laughing

You people are clearly not eating enough Cheetos!

I’m as left-leaning (and libertarian) as one can reasonably be but this is ludicrous.  This far-left nonsense only damages genuine campaigns against discrimination and they should be ashamed of themselves.  I really question their agenda.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I wonder if Amanita got the idea to make Chuchel (which means “hairy bunch” in Czech) orange from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In the original book the Oompa Loompas were black pygmies who were relocated to Loompaland, and in the film remake they were changed to orange.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

Really glad of this. Even though Amanita achieve an otherworldly vibe for their games, with logic and setting resembling ours very little, they cannot ignore the global context their games are being released into. This is a mature and thoughtful response, with no downside, and a big upside.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

The big downside is that this widens the schism between left and right at a time when we desperately need to come together again.  Go check out the comments on this decision.

What’s the big upside?

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2018-12-03

PM

I can understand why certain people would be offended by this. I am just not sure if the solution will solve anything. Like others in the thread have said, it simply hides the tensions that have been brought to the surface.

It’s regretful what happened in the past, but that can’t be changed. Nor can those responsible for the victims’ grievances fix them now. The only way to peace is for the victims to take ownership of their grievances and ask themselves:

-Are these emotions being triggered in me justified?
-Am I really being attacked here?
-Did the game developer intend to offend me or attack me?
-Is it me being depicted in the game or just a furry creature?
-Should I really view myself as a member of a limited class of people of a certain color or rather as a living being in a world of other identical living beings?
-And if I do identify myself as belonging to that class, will it be productive to hide the symbols which arouse tensions associated with that identification, which will remain in me whether or not those symbols are presented to me?

There is no better time than Christmas Eve, the day before the birth of our Savior, to forgive and in our forgiveness make ourselves holy by acknowledging in our perfect sinlessness that we never left the arms of God.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

dumbeur - 24 December 2018 03:23 AM

The big downside is that this widens the schism between left and right at a time when we desperately need to come together again.  Go check out the comments on this decision.

What’s the big upside?

The big upside is not being visually reminiscent of one of the worst places media has been. Blackface worsens all of us. I’m in the UK and we saw a lot of blackface (and the racism that results from this) well into the 60s. There were complaints at the time too that the practice should not stop, but ultimately it was the right thing to do.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Yes, blackface was and will remain a disgrace.  This is not blackface. 

I’m gravely offended that “Chuchel” so closely resembles “Churchill” who was the bane of the Irish and many others.  Will you support my campaign to change that?

Why equate rational people complaining about this and (at the very least) insensitive people complaining about the end of blackface?

Yes it’s irrelevant whether he turns orange, I don’t care.  The trouble is that plenty of people do care and this will fan the flames.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top