• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Chuchel

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

At Steam all the Chuchels have already turned orange, but GOG is still safe. The moment I read this awful news I turned off my black Chuchel’s automatic updates and made a backup. Phew! That was close.

What worries me most is that authorities, companies, institutions, cave in to the demands of a small group of fools who choose to be offended by literally anything. Only five years ago that would have been unthinkable. Why couldn’t Amanita simply assure players they didn’t mean to offend anybody and leave it at that? Just the thought of being accused of racism or sexism is apparently enough to turn rational people into puppets on a string.

The aforementioned Baby It’s Cold Outside is a good example. What the hell, it’s a great seventy-year old song and that woman actually WANTS to stay! Another example that made me foam at the mouth is the Spanish poem below. Earlier this year, students in Berlin demanded that it should be removed from their college wall. Why? It reminded women of feeling unsafe in the streets or something. Sheer idiocy. But the spineless administration took the complaints seriously and the poem is gone now. 

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Karlok - 24 December 2018 06:46 AM

Another example that made me foam at the mouth is the Spanish poem below. Earlier this year, students in Berlin demanded that it should be removed from their college wall. Why? It reminded women of feeling unsafe in the streets or something. Sheer idiocy. But the spineless administration took the complaints seriously and the poem is gone now. 

May be it is hard to understand from male perspective but if you have been abused by “admirer” waiting in the streets and alleys then you could see where upset comes from. Same with black face, black people have had to put up with stereotype depictions for too long so I can understand wanting to not see it any more.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Vehelon - 25 December 2018 09:57 PM

Another example that made me foam at the mouth is the Spanish poem below. Earlier this year, students in Berlin demanded that it should be removed from their college wall. Why? It reminded women of feeling unsafe in the streets or something. Sheer idiocy. But the spineless administration took the complaints seriously and the poem is gone now. 

May be it is hard to understand from male perspective but if you have been abused by “admirer” waiting in the streets and alleys then you could see where upset comes from. Same with black face, black people have had to put up with stereotype depictions for too long so I can understand wanting to not see it any more.

Correction: Karlok is a female so she is looking at it from a female perspective, just like the five ladies on “The View” where looking at “Baby it’s called outside” from a female perspective and they thought banning it was ridiculous.

The problem is that it becomes dangerous, when people with certain biases and over sensitivities start seeing issues in works of art by misinterpreting the original intent of the artist, and using social media and the mob mentality to alter or ban the work of art.  I love the example given by one of the commenters on a youtube video of the song “Baby it’s called outside”. Take the song “Santa Clause is coming to town”. One of the lines of that song is: “He sees you when you’re sleeping, He knows when you’re awake”. Without the right context, I can easily assume that Santa Clause is a creep who is stalking children and watching them when they are sleeping, and then I call for a ban of this song for the safety of the children. You see how things can be taken out of context?

In Chuchel’s case, the character is a dust-bunny like creature, so it is awkward to depict him as orange don’t you think? Oh and also, I have an aversion to Donald Trump, so the orange color of the character offends me.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

SoccerDude - 25 December 2018 10:50 PM
Vehelon - 25 December 2018 09:57 PM

Correction: Karlok is a female so she is looking at it from a female perspective, just like the five ladies on “The View” where looking at “Baby it’s called outside” from a female perspective and they thought banning it was ridiculous.

The problem is that it becomes dangerous, when people with certain biases and over sensitivities start seeing issues in works of art by misinterpreting the original intent of the artist, and using social media and the mob mentality to alter or ban the work of art.  I love the example given by one of the commenters on a youtube video of the song “Baby it’s called outside”. Take the song “Santa Clause is coming to town”. One of the lines of that song is: “He sees you when you’re sleeping, He knows when you’re awake”. Without the right context, I can easily assume that Santa Clause is a creep who is stalking children and watching them when they are sleeping, and then I call for a ban of this song for the safety of the children. You see how things can be taken out of context?

In Chuchel’s case, the character is a dust-bunny like creature, so it is awkward to depict him as orange don’t you think? Oh and also, I have an aversion to Donald Trump, so the orange color of the character offends me.

Yes, I can see how things can be taken out of context. Problem is how to determine context? Is it the intent? What if there was a group of developers who really wanted to ridicule black people, to capitalize on the hurt of the old blackface routines, and came up with the idea of a game featuring a black [insert any object] for that purpose? Then they could argue they did not intend any harm, the resemblance is pure accident. So I think we have to go by appearance and care about how the people affected react to it, because it matters.

In the Santa Clause example I would say, yes if there was a group affected by the song, and they really do think that way, maybe it’s a good idea to take it down. But as far as I know that is not the case.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

It puzzles me how this generation can take things out of context and get offended by something that was never intended, yet be completely unscathed by the many many modern songs, movies, games, etc. that are far far worse?!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sir Beardalot - 26 December 2018 12:11 AM

It puzzles me how this generation can take things out of context and get offended by something that was never intended, yet be completely unscathed by the many many modern songs, movies, games, etc. that are far far worse?!

Yeah, it’s very much tied together with the identity obsession of today. We see ourselves as black or white, male or female, straight or queer, left or right. Not as a human being. Not as the same as my neighbor. It’s a fractured perspective which emphasizes difference over unity.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Vehelon - 25 December 2018 11:10 PM

In the Santa Clause example I would say, yes if there was a group affected by the song, and they really do think that way, maybe it’s a good idea to take it down. But as far as I know that is not the case.

And there, in a nutshell, is why society in general is going down the pan.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sir Beardalot - 26 December 2018 12:11 AM

24232737-10159588382860534-3666157885329919329-n

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Nice illustration, Advie Thumbs Up This period will go into history as The Time of Whiners.

Problem is how to determine context? Is it the intent? What if there was a group of developers who really wanted to ridicule black people, to capitalize on the hurt of the old blackface routines, and came up with the idea of a game featuring a black [insert any object] for that purpose? Then they could argue they did not intend any harm, the resemblance is pure accident. So I think we have to go by appearance and care about how the people affected react to it, because it matters.

If you read Steam forums, you’ll see that the group offended by the decision to change Chuchel’s color is much bigger than those several people who felt offended by his original color. And talking about context, I’m often surprised how all those people obsessed with feelings of minorities are ignorant of other cultures and historical context beyond their current agenda. Slavery was never a thing in Czech - native country of Amanita - nor other Eastern European countries, few black people ever lived in that area and “blackface” is a practically a non-existent thing there. But even then, simply implying that a well-respected indie adventure company suddenly decided to offend all black people is pure madness. They might’ve as well put their office on fire.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

Doom - 26 December 2018 08:12 AM

Nice illustration, Advie Thumbs Up This period will go into history as The Time of Whiners.

This thread is 90% whining at this point, over the fact Amanita changed the colour of a character to orange to avoid resembling blackface.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Doom - 26 December 2018 08:12 AM

Problem is how to determine context? Is it the intent? What if there was a group of developers who really wanted to ridicule black people, to capitalize on the hurt of the old blackface routines, and came up with the idea of a game featuring a black [insert any object] for that purpose? Then they could argue they did not intend any harm, the resemblance is pure accident. So I think we have to go by appearance and care about how the people affected react to it, because it matters.

If you read Steam forums, you’ll see that the group offended by the decision to change Chuchel’s color is much bigger than those several people who felt offended by his original color. And talking about context, I’m often surprised how all those people obsessed with feelings of minorities are ignorant of other cultures and historical context beyond their current agenda. Slavery was never a thing in Czech - native country of Amanita - nor other Eastern European countries, few black people ever lived in that area and “blackface” is a practically a non-existent thing there. But even then, simply implying that a well-respected indie adventure company suddenly decided to offend all black people is pure madness. They might’ve as well put their office on fire.

Those people may be offended by the change but they are not affected other than by their preference. It is no comparison to a group of people who have suffered legitimate racism, being attacked on the basis of skin color. Comparing a long history of racial attacks and all the baggage that goes with it to an artistic change that is not to some peoples taste isn’t a serious argument.

Your second point addresses intent which I have already said should not be relevant. By your argument this Taiwan salon owner who put a Nazi symbol on the shop’s sign without knowing what it meant should not take it down. I think quite a few Jews may be quite upset about that.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I believe next they will take a shot at most fairy tales saying they were racist (i.e) why snow-white is white?
And the Tom & Jerry maid was black which indicates only black people were to take these lower field jobs in cartoon. and what about Tom’s street gangster (black cat) too?
Why Daffy was black especially with his obnoxious attitude, what did Disney was hinting then?  uhhh!!!!!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-06-03

PM

Advie - 26 December 2018 08:30 AM

I believe next they will take a shot at most fairy tales saying they were racist (i.e) why snow-white is white?
And the Tom & Jerry maid was black which indicates only black people were to take these lower field jobs in cartoon. and what about Tom’s street gangster (black cat) too?
Why Daffy was black especially with his obnoxious attitude, what did Disney was hinting then?  uhhh!!!!!

I know Warner Bros have put the following before some of their older cartoons, which seems a better solution to me than just never showing them again.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Agreed, although I am not sure how comprehensible that screen will be to the small children who watch those cartoons.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

awoma - 26 December 2018 08:20 AM

This thread is 90% whining at this point, over the fact Amanita changed the colour of a character to orange to avoid resembling blackface.

No, at this point people are discussing the current trend of censoring free artists by forcing some political agenda on them.

Vehelon - 26 December 2018 08:30 AM

Those people may be offended by the change but they are not affected other than by their preference. It is no comparison to a group of people who have suffered legitimate racism, being attacked on the basis of skin color. Comparing a long history of racial attacks and all the baggage that goes with it to an artistic change that is not to some peoples taste isn’t a serious argument.

Your second point addresses intent which I have already said should not be relevant. By your argument this Taiwan salon owner who put a Nazi symbol on the shop’s sign without knowing what it meant should not take it down.

Black people are also not affected. Slavery and racism are history, unless we are talking about Third World countries, but First World usually don’t care. Now censorship has a much longer history and it is still a modern-day issue. And the Taiwan salon owner example is clearly not Nazism, although Taiwan took part in WWII as part of Japan, so the owner was either poorly educated or swastikas are generally not an issue in Asian countries - it’s an ancient Buddhist symbol as far as I’m concerned. Once again, it’s historical/cultural context.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top